☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is the big and most interesting thing. Even more so when people keep dancing around what they mean by culture.

Like just say he wasn't raised culturally black instead of saying some weird shyt about "the culture".

It's literally the big difference between what Kendrick was saying and what Ross was saying, but seemingly a lot of nikkas are lowkey on what Ross is saying but don't wanna admit it for some reason.
It’s half because he’s got a white jewish mom. They just wont say this though. Kendrick is also an NOI fan and you can hear the references in there too.

Plus when you have dreads like J Cole or dress/talk like Ebro (black dad/white jewish mom), then you get a pass. “the culture” is this weird mishmash exclusion and then when I ask if Eminem is in the culture …people won’t answer it.

its just selfish woe is me BLM-esque soft shyt. It’s just talking to victimized black poverty and treating that as “real hip hop”.

FD completely ignores Drake’s actual catalog that disproves what he says about Drake's background and influences.

FD also misses ALL the shots Kendrick was throwing at Drake. Like All of them.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
This is the big and most interesting thing. Even more so when people keep dancing around what they mean by culture.

Like just say he wasn't raised culturally black instead of saying some weird shyt about "the culture".

It's literally the big difference between what Kendrick was saying and what Ross was saying, but seemingly a lot of nikkas are lowkey on what Ross is saying but don't wanna admit it for some reason.
I mean that's one of the big things he touches on as I'm watching the video and typing this out - he points out that early on he rooted for Drake because a lot of gangsta rappers were projecting false images and gatekeepers promoted a lot of bullshyt, and made it easy for a guy lie Drake to also fake it.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
what im getting at is you comparing Drake and Kanye's upbringing and their relation to growing up in the culture.

Kanye grew up right in the middle of Chicago and its hip hop culture...
Drake did not grow up within the culture the same way

privilege or the lack thereof has nothing to do with it

Thank you, bro. You're actually doing a much better job. So you're right 100% in that aspect and I guess my issue pertains more generally because you seem to have a much better understanding

But look at that thread where common has his mt Rushmore of Chicago and chance is there.

Chance grew up right in the middle of chicago and it's culture, but this site hates him and claims he isn't part of the culture purely because of his privilege and that's where I get lost at because nikkas are being very wishy washy with this all of a sudden.

Like if you asked me, I would consider chance more in tune with the culture than ye. From start to beginning of the career. Regardless of ye's musical beginnings or where he was raised.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Mayne gtfo here with this weak ass "but, but, but other people do it too" shyt:mjlol:

How is it a weak argument when it's 100% true. What, are you now claiming no rapper has taken a rap diss personally, hasn't bitten styles or avoided smoke?

You're acting like Drake is an anomaly in that when it's literally the norm of the rap game. Kendrick literally has a whole Wayne inspired tape. nikkas constantly make fun of him for biting em with those weird voice changes and deliveries. And he ducked Sean while he was sending shots and still hasn't responded to lupe.

And we all know it's not just him and there's nothing crazy about it. Those being the defining cultural traits is bullshyt and you know it.

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
That's not what I did at all. you referenced your family being rappers as proof of you "being in the culture." I was asking if you felt like JUST having family members that rap made you apart of the culture, than would I be more aware of the culture since I'm an active participant? And if having family members that rap is all it takes, in your eyes, to be apart of this culture than I'm even more confused

Feel free to quote wherever I accused you at. I asked a simple question based off your parameters. You're in the culture because you literally said yourself you have family that raps and you didn't have to watch any videos about where hip hop came from. I'm just making sure you're saying what you're saying.

Me asking if that makes me more in tune with the culture is a serious question because you keep refusing to expand on whatever culture you're talking about.

Like I get what you're saying but you being obtuse or unable to elaborate isn't helping. Just sounds like you're regurgitating talking points without any understanding of them. Kendrick said it so you're saying it without understanding what he was meaning.

So somebody that doesn't listen to rap ever and just watches media of it? Idk what imaginary person you're talking about. That's not a thing or at least not what we're talking about not what you really meant. Are we pretending ny drill didn't study Chicago drill?

And you're saying Drake is that? Somebody that watches TLR but wouldn't hang with black people? Even though we consistently see otherwise? To the point that it was literally a point in the diss towards Drake.
1. You brought up expertise when that was never a factor in the conversation. It's not about who is more in the culture. It's about are you in or out. Authenticity vs co-opting

2. My understanding of the culture is primarily based on experience. The point isn't that secondary sources like documentaries are bad. There's great information out there that I'm personally a fan of and stuff like that is great for perseving history. Nothing wrong with using it. But it's a different in people like you or me engaging with it versus people on the outside looking in but act like they're actually apart of it. I.e. drake co-opting african American slang and dress when he's from Canada instead of embracing their slang from the start. Instead we have video of him dissing that culture :heh:

3. Drake has adopted the street image but clearly isn't about that life. All the talk about being a war general or emptying shells in the clip is corny af. Cause we know the real Aubrey would come out if violence ever really popped off in front kf him. Does the rapper on this song sound like the man in this video?

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
How is it a weak argument when it's 100% true. What, are you now claiming no rapper has taken a rap diss personally, hasn't bitten styles or avoided smoke?

You're acting like Drake is an anomaly in that when it's literally the norm of the rap game. Kendrick literally has a whole Wayne inspired tape. nikkas constantly make fun of him for biting em with those weird voice changes and deliveries. And he ducked Sean while he was sending shots and still hasn't responded to lupe.

And we all know it's not just him and there's nothing crazy about it. Those being the defining cultural traits is bullshyt and you know it.
We clown and diss any rapper guilty of that those things too :mjlol:

Post a thread saying jay z is the goat and watch the responses:mjlol:

Only people that don't keep the same energy are their stans. Like with drake

The main difference is we have full reference tracks for drake. Whereas we don't with others

And also the fact that he isn't even from this country, so stealing regional styles and faking accents is especially goofy lol

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
at the end FD says Cole is real and Drake is not.

Cole has been LARPing as some “real hip hop” head wannabe humble Artist cause he’s got dreads and acts like some 90s NYC underground rapper.

All these dudes are acting if thats the case. FOH FD. :camby:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Thank you, bro. You're actually doing a much better job. So you're right 100% in that aspect and I guess my issue pertains more generally because you seem to have a much better understanding

But look at that thread where common has his mt Rushmore of Chicago and chance is there.

Chance grew up right in the middle of chicago and it's culture, but this site hates him and claims he isn't part of the culture purely because of his privilege and that's where I get lost at because nikkas are being very wishy washy with this all of a sudden.

Like if you asked me, I would consider chance more in tune with the culture than ye. From start to beginning of the career. Regardless of ye's musical beginnings or where he was raised.
How Chance and Kanye came up is pretty different

Kanye was known by people in the city...
he worked with them...
he was mentored by NO ID

It wasnt really like that with Chance...

Chance is familiar with black Chicago...
but he isnt familar to black rap/hip hop Chicago

Infact he was more popular with white and Mexican kids in Chicago.

He is a product of the internet mixtape era...
and then you combine that with the fact his parents have local political clout and you see how he was easily able to meet the right people

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
1. You brought up expertise when that was never a factor in the conversation. It's not about who is more in the culture. It's about are you in or out. Authenticity vs co-opting

So what has Drake co-opted?

2. My understanding of the culture is primarily based on experience. The point isn't that secondary sources like documentaries are bad. There's great information out there that I'm personally a fan of and stuff like that is great for perseving history. Nothing wrong with using it. But it's a different in people like you or me engaging with it versus people on the outside looking in but act like they're actually apart of it. I.e. drake co-opting african American slang and dress when he's from Canada instead of embracing their slang from the start. Instead we have video of him dissing that culture :heh:

He was 15-16 when he made that video on a promo run for a kids TV show.

We got vids of Gunna making stop the violence campaigns in high school too. Whats your point?

3. Drake has adopted the street image but clearly isn't about that life. All the talk about being a war general or emptying shells in the clip is corny af. Cause we know the real Aubrey would come out if violence ever really popped off in front kf him. Does the rapper on this song sound like the man in this video?

A response to a prank a decade+ ago tells you what?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
How Chance and Kanye came up is pretty different

Kanye was known by people in the city...
he worked with them...
he was mentored by NO ID

It wasnt really like that with Chance...

Chance is familiar with black Chicago...
but he isnt familar to black rap/hip hop Chicago

Infact he was more popular with white and Mexican kids in Chicago.

He is a product of the internet mixtape era...
and then you combine that with the fact his parents have local political clout and you see how he was easily able to meet the right people
Chance the rapper is a literal rich kid LARP-ing as some Chicago street art kid. His parents are big Chicago political affiliates.

Stop it.

VjZSkoJ.png

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

people are holding the fact Toronto doesn’t have…say… a larger rap scene against Drake then saying drake is taking other scene’s sounds.

Who the fukk’s fault is that? Is One guy supposed to create a whole fukking music scene?! :mindblown:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Kendrick had a whole fake convo with Tupac on his album but thats “real"

:dead:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I mean that's one of the big things he touches on as I'm watching the video and typing this out - he points out that early on he rooted for Drake because a lot of gangsta rappers were projecting false images and gatekeepers promoted a lot of bullshyt, and made it easy for a guy lie Drake to also fake it.
they’re calling drake fake without any evidence of it then claiming he’s being the “real him” by being corny?

So which is it?

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
“the culture” is this weird mishmash exclusion and then when I ask if Eminem is in the culture …people won’t answer it.

I did see that get skipped over interestingly enough, along with Ross. Because then those lines quickly get blurred.

It's about both honestly. Especially if your only in, from your own words, is your family having rappers in it. And I've asked you several times if that's the bar.

Imma be honest, that's not a good example. You have several nikkas rejecting their own cities or areas slang to co-opt what's cool. Once again, idk why you're trying to pretend this a new thing. You have NY nikkas literally talking like they're from Chicago and not fukkin with their slang but they're not in the culture because of that?

Drake has adopted the street image but clearly isn't about that life. All the talk about being a war general or emptying shells in the clip is corny af. Cause we know the real Aubrey would come out if violence ever really popped off in front kf him. Does the rapper on this song sound like the man in this video?

You're talking like you know them personally.

My response to that is a literal clip of him him chilling while his friends beat a nikka up outside of Deliahs

Or the detail lawsuit after chubbs put him in the hospital:

Or the Mo-G situation

Or the Chris Brown bottle throwing incident

Or the DRAM incident

Or the DJ Drama incident

Or the Rick Ross Incident

You're posting a Punk'd clip of him from 12 years ago to show he's faking against all of these real incidents of violence lol