"Fantasy Games Can Have Dragons, Magic, But No People of Color"

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black Girl Gamers Interview: Founder Expresses The Need For New Diverse Stories And Characters

"The normalized association of fantasy, you think of European medieval settings whenever you think of any kind of IP: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter…Even The Witcher, they're all based in European settings.

Within those fantasy settings, it seems that they can have dragons, but have no people of color. They can have magic, but they will negate the very real, very historical existence of Black and Brown people in Europe in those same medieval or middle-aged times. One of the biggest repercussions, I think, is the negating of Black inventors and founders within the space, like Jerry Lawson, and the whole narrative that a lot of White gamers used to say, “Gaming is White culture. You're appropriating our culture.” It's a common rebuttal online when people are asking to fight for diversity, wholly ignoring that a whole Black American man created the game cartridge, which obviously we know led to a plethora of different versions of hardware that we use for gaming today, so that the repercussions are social, economical, educational in all of these different ways."

"I don't need a strong Black female character, to be honest. We have a lot of strong Black women; this whole trope of being strong as a Black woman is in itself a whole discussion.

I see diverse, underrepresented characters in games like Apex, who have kind of covered a lot of bases. There are also games like Overwatch, which I had initially had a problem with – and they seem to be picking up their slack now – but still as a game that has a majority of White characters, I still don't understand how you can call yourself a diverse game and have a majority of White characters. But a lot of them that do it right are games where you pick from a roster..."

On racebending:
"I would flip the whole premise of a number of games, especially the ones that go into countries and get their relics. I would flip that on their head – that's always been a dream of mine in general. But to be honest, no. I'm not averse to having White characters. I'm just annoyed at how prevalent they are.

I wouldn't want to change an existing character that I can think of at the moment. One of my favorite games, The Witcher 3, is predominantly based on a Polish novel. I have seen no need for me to change that main character. What I want is more stories that are authentic to Black, Brown, and Non-White people of color to be reflected in. I don't want to necessarily have to "racebend" an existing character for me. That's not the epitome of representation. It works in some ways and other ways. I want some original content."

Apologize if this was posted already, but this is a pretty good interview :ehh: I agree with her take on racebending.

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
There’s levels to “diversity”. An original game like Overwatch can still be considered diverse. Diversity isn’t necessarily limited to race/color.

How many games let you choose between buff brolic ass women, fat women, fat men, gay men, gay women, desi women, asian women, Asian men, black men, black women, hispanic women, old people, robots and even animals as playable characters?

maxresdefault.jpg

By definition, it seems pretty diverse.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There’s levels to “diversity”. An original game like Overwatch can still be considered diverse. Diversity isn’t necessarily limited to race/color.

How many games let you choose between buff brolic ass women, fat women, fat men, gay men, gay women, desi women, asian women, Asian men, black men, black women, hispanic women, old people, robots and even animals as playable characters?

maxresdefault.jpg

By definition, it seems pretty diverse.

Blizzard literally used a diversity generation tool to come up with these characters :huhldup:

5e970060acc8a2f52a786fe1b3103865.jpg

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
I've said in tSc and I said it in the film room... I'll never understand how y'all let some inbred shyt posting lames in Europe talk down on what you like.
Plus who cares, That's all they got is fantasy, mythical, dragons, wizards, castle, medieval crap. If it wasn't for James Bond they'll be irrelevant a long time ago.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I've said in tSc and I said it in the film room... I'll never understand how y'all let some inbred shyt posting lames in Europe talk down on what you like.
Plus who cares, That's all they got is fantasy, mythical, dragons, wizards, castle, medieval crap. If it wasn't for James Bond they'll be irrelevant a long time ago.
What you mean let? Are you implying we can go to their houses and stop them?