"Fantasy Games Can Have Dragons, Magic, But No People of Color"

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
We need more Black people developers and running their own studios but it's difficult because there are so few to begin with.

Money pool into the best ones, then you start building from there.

Black ppl make everything cool, hop on the bandwagon of your own ppl and you’ll generate funds.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
"The normalized association of fantasy, you think of European medieval settings whenever you think of any kind of IP: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter…Even The Witcher, they're all based in European settings."

:dead: These fukkign blerds are so damn annoying with this shyt. It stops right here.

1, there's plenty of shyt with black people in and created by black people, but "the white man's ice is colder." :mjlol:

":sadcam: Why does Bruce Wayne have to be white?" Because that's how he was created and who the characters been since the 40's.

Why don't you buy comics on the black characters that exist already? Why don't you support black creators all up and down devaintart, tumblr, twitter, etc, etc,

This inclusion shyt STILL ends up with white folk owning and profiting off these property regardless on them being "diverse."

This is why JK Rowling is laughing to the bank :laff: Now they bout to drop a Harry Potter TV show.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Blizzard literally used a diversity generation tool to come up with these characters :huhldup:

5e970060acc8a2f52a786fe1b3103865.jpg

Like it or not; this is what Twitter wants.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
There’s levels to “diversity”. An original game like Overwatch can still be considered diverse. Diversity isn’t necessarily limited to race/color.

How many games let you choose between buff brolic ass women, fat women, fat men, gay men, gay women, desi women, asian women, Asian men, black men, black women, hispanic women, old people, robots and even animals as playable characters?

maxresdefault.jpg

By definition, it seems pretty diverse.
I think you're missing the point of the OP and are inadvertently shining even more light on the issue.
These companies (and even politicians on a systemic level) immediately sprung to action and made absolutely sure that they included LGBTQIABCD characters in their movies, games, (and even laws). A black person goes out dressed as Superman and you get everybody and their mother screaming "wrong color!!!". When it comes to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the priority has always been the alphabet community while black people continue to be essentially told to shut up and dribble and to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
So much this because I've seen some games made by black devs and I can't spend money on some of the games they created due to quality. At the end of the day I am not going to blindly throw money at something f the quality isn't there. However, if you present me with at least a decent product and let us know what's up then I'll support.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So much this because I've seen some games made by black devs and I can't spend money on some of the games they created due to quality. At the end of the day I am not going to blindly throw money at something f the quality isn't there. However, if you present me with at least a decent product and let us know what's up then I'll support.

Thats why i bought Kena, black owned studio that actually put out a really quality product. I probably would have bought it anyway but i specifically bought the deluxe edition just because of that

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
"The normalized association of fantasy, you think of European medieval settings whenever you think of any kind of IP: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter…Even The Witcher, they're all based in European settings."

:dead: These fukkign blerds are so damn annoying with this shyt. It stops right here.

1, there's plenty of shyt with black people in and created by black people, but "the white man's ice is colder." :mjlol:

":sadcam: Why does Bruce Wayne have to be white?" Because that's how he was created and who the characters been since the 40's.

Why don't you buy comics on the black characters that exist already? Why don't you support black creators all up and down devaintart, tumblr, twitter, etc, etc,

This inclusion shyt STILL ends up with white folk owning and profiting off these property regardless on them being "diverse."

This is why JK Rowling is laughing to the bank :laff: Now they bout to drop a Harry Potter TV show.
Why you comparing jk rowling shytting on weirdo cacs males that want to be females to black people? :mjtf:
JK last time I checked aint a white supremacist bytch
She just fights who real women.
fukk tryna associate this weirdo she nikka shyt to black people

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The kind of game yall want black characters to star in is gonna be like 200 million dollars like god of war. Only way we’re getting that is if a black person gets promoted up the corporate chain at a studio like Dinga Bakaba.

And then on top of that the game has to sell to a majority white audience that cry about everything being woke and another crowd that refuse to buy games brand new because of reasons

MrLogic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cash
We have to make our own stuff can't expect cacs to do it or their cac worshiping Asians .

But we do stay on the mind of the cac gamer rent free I was playing star citzen random dude on the global chat said and I quote "Hey the fleet manger is black" how can we fix that.... now no one replied or took the bait I figured he was fishing for "lefties" but that is their mind set they get offended just seeing black people doing normal shyt even in a video game that most black folk don't even play. but it is realstic to have people of different background in a game like star citzen it's in the future in space and irl we outnumber cacs globally.

fantasy is whatever you want it to be but we all know what cacs think they got the main character syndrome

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
This sounds defeatist. I feel like Black Panther showed us that we can make money in genre's we typically don't see ourselves in. Money and opportunity are all that are needed.
WHAT :mjlol:

Black Panther was made by a WHITE MOVIE STUDIO :mjlol:

They hired some black people to direct it, to star in it, to sing songs about it.

But it was the WHITE STUDIO fronting all the cost.

People talking that "black people need to make their own games and do it that way" have absolutely no idea how expensive a game is.

If I gave you 50k right now to make a game, depending on what kind of game it is, that wouldn't even cover licensing for the game engine and voice actors for your game.

Or you going to make your own game engine from scratch and not pay any money for one?

Or you got 20 family members and friends doing voiceover work for your game for free?

It's not about making money. It's about paying the production cost. That's the reason you don't see very many black gaming studios and if you do they are indie. Because who are the black people who are going to be paying these huge up front production cost.

I called but Oprah aint picking up.