"Fantasy Games Can Have Dragons, Magic, But No People of Color"

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
WHAT :mjlol:

Black Panther was made by a WHITE MOVIE STUDIO :mjlol:

They hired some black people to direct it, to star in it, to sing songs about it.

But it was the WHITE STUDIO fronting all the cost.

People talking that "black people need to make their own games and do it that way" have absolutely no idea how expensive a game is.

If I gave you 50k right now to make a game, depending on what kind of game it is, that wouldn't even cover licensing for the game engine and voice actors for your game.

Or you going to make your own game engine from scratch and not pay any money for one?

Or you got 20 family members and friends doing voiceover work for your game for free?

It's not about making money. It's about paying the production cost. That's the reason you don't see very many black gaming studios and if you do they are indie. Because who are the black people who are going to be paying these huge up front production cost.

I called but Oprah aint picking up.

Yeah but not only the production but marketing. Marketing a big game cost as much as it does a movie these days.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think you're missing the point of the OP and are inadvertently shining even more light on the issue.
These companies (and even politicians on a systemic level) immediately sprung to action and made absolutely sure that they included LGBTQIABCD characters in their movies, games, (and even laws). A black person goes out dressed as Superman and you get everybody and their mother screaming "wrong color!!!". When it comes to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the priority has always been the alphabet community while black people continue to be essentially told to shut up and dribble and to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.
giphy.gif

milanoAT

Pro
Daps
So much this because I've seen some games made by black devs and I can't spend money on some of the games they created due to quality. At the end of the day I am not going to blindly throw money at something f the quality isn't there. However, if you present me with at least a decent product and let us know what's up then I'll support.
Well, the quality will never be there with this mindset. You need to have adjusted expectations when looking at startups. Black devs are starting from literally nothing, you can't compare their games with those from companies that have been around decades and are adequately funded. Supporting these small, shytty games (relative to AAA games) is how a small team can grow into a big studio, and can maybe produce something that can rival the newest God of War.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Well, the quality will never be there with this mindset. You need to have adjusted expectations when looking at startups. Black devs are starting from literally nothing, you can't compare their games with those from companies that have been around decades and are adequately funded. Supporting these small, shytty games (relative to AAA games) is how a small team can grow into a big studio, and can maybe produce something that can rival the newest God of War.

To be fair, I’ve seen a lot of indie devs with one or two people put out fire also. Team Cherry is like two people. They take forever to put out games though

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I hear ya, I feel it's tough. Like most things it's hard to blindly support something financially. What I mean by quality is game at least looks decent to play. Indies in general are tough because there are many that get skipped over due to that reason and you need word of mouth for games to do well if it's not by a known indie dev. I think main issue is budget because black devs most likely aren't going to get the proper budget to flourish

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone else story makes money. Your own story won't.
The fukk kinda WEAK ass defeatist shyt is this???:scust:

One of the most enlightening, yet saddest parts of this site is it really exposes how defeatist and negative black folks can be. This line of thinking is why black men get stuck in menial jobs and aimless bag chasing while never taking risks. You don't believe in yourself

You frame it as there being no hope in even trying

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
Ya'll wanna play games without all cacs and asians as heroes with brehs hidden even though that isn't historically accurate? Come to Capcom.

goatcom had a breh knight in shining armor in that glorious trailer. :banderas: final fakkitry is irrelevant to me after ff7 remake :scusthov: