Fans are turning on rap. This young generation is more into conscious shyt now.

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I barely hear trap music being played out of car windows anymore. It's the era of psychedelics and mental health now. Conscious rap about to boom again over the next two decades.

@Piff Perkins we back
@dora_da_destroyer we byke
Fred
Not even joking I was just talking to my younger cousins that just got out of high school and they were talking heavy about kids and mushrooms:picard:

20 years ago kids were just smoking weed......and heroin:huhldup:

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
So what are they listening to then?
  • Certainly aint Rock cos that shyt dead
  • R&B in the mainstream is pretty much over
  • EDM is too niche
  • Afrobeats/K-Pop/Latin Trap/other such foreign genres aren't making waves like that
  • Young/street nikkas aint listening to Classical, Folk, Country or Jazz
:russ:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
So what are they listening to then?
  • Certainly aint Rock cos that shyt dead
  • R&B in the mainstream is pretty much over
  • EDM is too niche
  • Afrobeats/K-Pop/Latin Trap/other such foreign genres aren't making waves like that
  • Young/street nikkas aint listening to Classical, Folk, Country or Jazz
:russ:
This is a lie.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Now is the era for conscious rap as peoples minds are wider than they've been but the net holds them in a grip as their tastes are shaped by algorithm instead of organic preference.

You could argue its always been like this with the gatekeeping but never as hyperfocused as this.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Nikkas still play Trap music in their whips at least up here in B-More..

My bro was riding around playing EST Gee, I was riding around and playing some older Yo Gotti cuts, my GF was playing some Boosie songs,

Conscious music aint gonna get a woman's puzzy wet though.

If that's the case, Rawkus Records should be able to make a comeback and Talib Kweli wont have to resort to Social Media games.

:blessed::blessed:

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I just want some political rap to make a comeback :francis:

Too much going on for nobody in my age range to be saying something

You old nikkas lucky af. Yall had pre maga ice cube, pac, public enemy, dead prez, mos, and ras

Who dafukk we got? :dahell:

Lil Durk, NBA YB, EST Gee, Glorilla, Ice Spice, Latto..

:francis::francis::francis:

Dead Prez couldnt be out nowadays. These new blacks cant handle that ether and truth about cacs.

I listened to Dead Prez for the Social commentary as a kid.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah...

GKMC was "a day in the life" type of story, or short film as it's titled, and I don't recall that being the least bit political.

TPAB absolutely had political moments especially with the the hits. And that is probably the most conscious project he's put out. No doubt about it.

Mr morale? I don't see that as conscious but I guess some folks would. To me that shyt was an experimental gangsta rap project with the concept of him being in therapy. And a huge budget.

Overall, Kendrick and his projects are pretty well rounded so I wouldn't label him "conscious" anymore than I'd call Vince Staples a conscious rapper.
The social commentary is there on all of them.
I'm not seeing how you feel Lupe is a conscious rapper but not Kendrick? I don't recall Lupe stuff being political.