Famous Afro-Latinos are Tired Of Trying To Explain To People They’re Black

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Do I feel good about me- if that's what ur asking? Yes, I'm black. But just because you embrace the Latina side doesn't mean you can't embrace the African part. Like being afro Latina doesn't mean you can ignore the "afro" side of your race.
Not really paying attention to these 'celebrity' afro- Latinas; they're part of the industry- they have that mindset where they play this neutral position in order to keep getting acting roles or have a sense of identity with white people to stay relevant; they promote this "mixed race" or "I'm me" type of narrative. Didn't read all through the details in the OP but from what I know; seems they try to downplay the African or black part of their background. Like Zoe Saldana - she married white and goes on to say that she's doesn't want to be categorized as "Latina, or black Latina, woman".. that she only wants to be a "Zoe":troll:, girl please, you are dark skinned, my complexion and yet she doesn't want to be categorized??? huh...? they see her, like I see her.. as a black woman. Juju - I've seen her interviews.. idk.. sometimes she seems sketch. Like she's trying too hard to prove to people that she is Latina bc she's doesn't look racially ambiguous. She goes on the Spanish speaking podcasts or on some AA radio interviews with this vibe about her- and over sensationalizes or is extra hype when she switches over from talking English to Spanish..
Then Carmelo talking about he identifies as "mixed race". Puerto Rican is not a race, Dominican is not a race. There's no confusion. Ginna Torres and Laz Alonso, I have respect for, because Gina always says that she's African American first and I've heard many times say that she is a black woman, fuk all that mixed race or having identity issues. Both her and Laz reference their Cuban background as part of their cultural identity (which is the same position that I have). Lauren Velez, I could see her issue too in that people expect the European (spain, argentina, colombia) parts of Latin America (as in Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek); because her African features are more dominant.
I don't see anything wrong with JuJu calling herself a Black Cuban or Afro Latina because that's who she is, her parents are afro latinos and ingrained in her that there cultural is cuban but they know they are black.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I don't see anything wrong with JuJu calling herself a Black Cuban or Afro Latina because that's who she is, her parents are afro latinos and ingrained in her that there cultural is cuban but they know they are black.
I really could give less of a shyt about this subject any further in here. Didn’t say anything was wrong with her saying what she is ... wtf are you talking about? Nvm. Like I said idc.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joan Smalls’ Puerto Rican mother is white lol.

Only Dascha Polanco 100% claim her blackness and it’s sad because she’s the only one in that list that doesn’t have to based on her complexion.
Oh please. She’s claiming black in hopes to get more acting role opportunities. She’s mixed (her dna test results were 30% african). Many mixed actresses do this.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
AA be acting like the most oppressed black people when in reality we only get oppressed by white Americans. When we leave the US we get wild Love and even in places like Europe unless you're dealing with extreme racists we get the same if not more respect than white Americans.

Black Latinos don't get that same Love or at least not to the extent of AA.

I'm personally both and have lived in Europe twice so I kinda know what I'm talking about

And Zoe is damn near perfect looks wise.

shyt is sad but she can :camby:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With all due respect, no, it isn't.

I'm going to try to chip away at your assertion. Let's figure out some rules that you're imposing on "blackness" to have this convo maturely...

Tell me if you disagree with the rules:

1. Black is having a black mother and a black father.
  2. Biracial is not black.
  3. As a result of rules 1 & 2, the product of a biracial parent and black parent is not a black child.
Is this an accurate set of rules for us to have this convo?

Same. The small elephant in the room is that there is none. The bigger elephant in this room is that "black" is a European invention that was NEVER intended to have a positive connotation. The BIGGEST elephant in the room? It calls into question alot of our misconceptions as to whether "black" and "white" can be scientifically quantified or is is PURELY a social construct.

So is Dave Chappelle not black? His mother is biracial.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
People are getting caught up in trivial details. The issue is with afrolatinos claiming that they have more in common with hector and Juan than they do with Darnell or shaniqua. There's a contempt and disgust for African Americans, Haitians, Africans etc. Theres a perception that when afro Latinos want to get cool with hip hop culture and use the n word, they're black but when it comes to everything else its "I'm not black I'm an afro latino" .

I really want people to understand that white supremacy is enforced in Latin countries. Lighter skin is lusted after and they oppress the visibly African looking people. Latinos are not the same as black people in their struggle and I deeply resent it when the media tries to lump our struggles together. I rarely see afro Latinos calling out racism in their communities and that says a lot about where they stand in respect to how they view their identity. Blackness is not ugly and it is not shameful. fukking sick of people trying to act like it's not okay to just be a black person and see yourself as part of a global community of dark skinned people.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps

Juju seem like she cool but I get what @Nicole0416 saying tho

Most these African-Latinos go hard to prove they're black

Juju is the one black Latina that could pass for straight up black but she goes out her way to remind u she's Latina

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
So is Dave Chappelle not black? His mother is biracial.
Exactly what I'm getting at!

The brehs who take the rigid stance of black means black mother and black father and biracial isn't black would not survive the different scenarios such as the example you gave.

My example was going to be Malcolm X.

His mother was biracial(black). His father black.

According to the brehs who are rigid, a Malcolm X can't be black because one biracial parent.

It then collapses on itself when you consider almost all african americans or black americans have a european great x ____ grand parent somewhere down the line becaus of rape.

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
Exactly what I'm getting at!

The brehs who take the rigid stance of black means black mother and black father and biracial isn't black would not survive the different scenarios such as the example you gave.

My example was going to be Malcolm X.

His mother was biracial(black). His father black.

According to the brehs who are rigid, a Malcolm X can't be black because one biracial parent.

It then collapses on itself when you consider almost all african americans or black americans have a european great x ____ grand parent somewhere down the line becaus of rape.

Good point. But it depends on some people's definition of bi-racial.

If bi-racial is BOTH black and white and then they procreate with a black person that would make the children black.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Juju seem like she cool but I get what @Nicole0416 saying tho

Most these African-Latinos go hard to prove they're black

Juju is the one black Latina that could pass for straight up black but she goes out her way to remind u she's Latina
This! Yes. Thank you!!! That's what it is ....