Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I give other black folks a pass because most of the time nikkas work and don't have time to think about those types of things and that's what these cacs bank on. We will be revisiting this thread in 10 yrs talking about how white dc is and why didn't the black people keep their properties

What does this have to do with the current spike in violent crime that’s going on in DC at the moment?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Well let’s look at what’s going on. A bunch of young, mostly white transplants are moving into the city and they can’t afford the traditional white strongholds of Georgetown, Glover Park, Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, etc. So because of this, they are flooding into all parts of the city and pushing Black folks without and even some with money out into Maryland.

DC is incredibly small and classist. Affordable housing is scarce now so homelessness is way up, drugs are so abundant there are open air markets in some parts of the city, young girls are being kidnapped and killed or being forced into prostitution, still a rack of guns in the streets, and you’ve got a young generation coming of age with even more nihilism and hopelessness after seeing Millennials get their shyt ran from the Occupy movement to the BLM movement.

…..and the response is to get tougher on crime. Rather than addressing the causes of the symptoms. This cycle will most likely continue until there is no Black DC left to speak of. shyt’s fukked up.
When y’all be writing all of this about symptoms. What are you actually talking about as a plan to active crimes and criminals

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Well let’s look at what’s going on. A bunch of young, mostly white transplants are moving into the city and they can’t afford the traditional white strongholds of Georgetown, Glover Park, Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, etc. So because of this, they are flooding into all parts of the city and pushing Black folks without and even some with money out into Maryland.

DC is incredibly small and classist. Affordable housing is scarce now so homelessness is way up, drugs are so abundant there are open air markets in some parts of the city, young girls are being kidnapped and killed or being forced into prostitution, still a rack of guns in the streets, and you’ve got a young generation coming of age with even more nihilism and hopelessness after seeing Millennials get their shyt ran from the Occupy movement to the BLM movement.

…..and the response is to get tougher on crime. Rather than addressing the causes of the symptoms. This cycle will most likely continue until there is no Black DC left to speak of. shyt’s fukked up.

I doubt those young people who are committing carjackings and murders are that observant about the Occupy movement and BLM movement (what is the correlation between "Millenials getting their shyt ran by Occupy and BLM" and some kids committing carjackings and murders?).

Again, murders and carjackings are NOT crimes due to economic hardship, lack of adequate housing and all the other things you highlighted.

We are talking about taking people's lives away and I know some of us are so desensitized to murders but it does not take away from its seriousness. You literally want to kill or the reason of your killing(s) is because white folks gentrifying your neighborhoods or lack of adequate housing? And there is a high probability that the victim(s) that these ppl are killing is/are "suffering" from "white gentrification and lack of adequate housing" that are causing them to kill?

Does your own argument make any sense to you?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
When y’all be writing all of this about symptoms. What are you actually talking about as a plan to active crimes and criminals

I wasn’t voted Mayor so it’s not my job to answer that but as a citizen of this city I can at the very least observe what’s going on and come to my own conclusions. But for the sake of argument, more affordable housing and neighborhoods that provide similar amenities to better serviced parts of the city.

There are already certain things already in place like the Summer Jobs program and all of the free programs with DC Parks and Rec. There needs to be more, but there are some things to work with and I can agree that these opportunities need to be taken.

I doubt those young people who are committing carjackings and murders are that observant about the Occupy movement and BLM movement (what is the correlation between "Millenials getting their shyt ran by Occupy and BLM" and some kids committing carjackings and murders?).

Again, murders and carjackings are NOT crimes due to economic hardship, lack of adequate housing and all the other things you highlighted.

We are talking about taking people's lives away and I know some of us are so desensitized to murders but it does not take away from its seriousness. You literally want to kill or the reason of your killing(s) is because white folks gentrifying your neighborhoods or lack of adequate housing? And there is a high probability that the victim(s) that these ppl are killing is/are "suffering" from "white gentrification and lack of adequate housing" that are causing them to kill?

Does your own argument make any sense to you?

Have you spoken to any of these people in question? Sure, you might not get a nuanced response but you can still tell that much of the viewpoint is based on the failures of past generations. How does a neglected neighborhood survive? Through resources and programs designed to address the neglect. How is it that we’re discussing DC’s problems and y’all are willing to ignore the very ugly recent history of this city?

Pointing out that there are real causes to issues doesn’t mean you’re absolving people. Yes, they’re criminals. What makes a criminal or a crime spree of this magnitude? It’s just simple cause and effect. Doesn’t change the fact that bad things are being done to good people. Or that crime should be addressed? Or even than a good deal of these people are broken individuals that should look into themselves. But this the same place where you can go out to U Street to party on a Friday or Saturday night and walk over and around homeless people like they were bags of garbage. That’s one extreme response, and the other is to do the victimizing rather than be a victim.

Again, I’m not trying to ignore that there is a very real and ignorant cultural shift and growing acceptance of this shyt which is co-signing these kids to make horrible choices, and as I stated there are SOME outlets and resources available if you’re motivated to get to them, but I’m not gon just let y’all beat on the “lock em up” drum without pointing out the decades old elephant in the room. There was no recovery after the riots or after crack, don’t be surprised now that crime is worse despite all the same responses from local govt like what we’re currently seeing.

Last edited:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Have you spoken to any of these people in question? Sure, you might not get a nuanced response but you can still tell that much of the viewpoint is based on the failures of past generations. How does a neglected neighborhood survive? Through resources and programs designed to address the neglect. How is it that we’re discussing DC’s problems and y’all are willing to ignore the very ugly recent history of this city?

Pointing out that there are real causes to issues doesn’t mean you’re absolving people. Yes, they’re criminals. What makes a criminal or a crime spree of this magnitude? It’s just simple cause and effect. Doesn’t change the fact that bad things are being done to good people. Or that crime should be addressed? Or even than a good deal of these people are broken individuals that should look into themselves. But this the same place where you can go out to U Street to party on a Friday or Saturday night and walk over and around homeless people like they were bags of garbage. That’s one extreme response, and the other is to do the victimizing rather than be a victim.

Again, I’m not trying to ignore that there is a very real and ignorant cultural shift and growing acceptance of this shyt which is co-signing these kids to make horrible choices, and as I stated there are SOME outlets and resources available if you’re motivated to get to them, but I’m not gon just let y’all beat on the “lock em up” drum without pointing out the decades old elephant in the room. There was no recovery after the riots or after crack, don’t be surprised now that crime is worse despite all the same responses from local govt like what we’re currently seeing.

Btw I am glad we are have this conversation and the back/forth in a civil manner. I actually want to see numbers on that public sector allocation toward the services that you are saying can significant curtail future criminal acts. Because in too many of these conversation, people like to refer to that and BOTH sides of the issue do not know the numbers.

There was a thread on Baltimore in the not too distant past where someone posted that Baltimore spends a significant amount on their pubic school students and yet educational achievement metrics (graduation rates, reading and math tests) are abysmal. If that's the case, then we need to have some uncomfortable conversations (again all depending on the numbers and indeed if there is a lack of allocation of resources per pupil)

I am asking for the data not as a gotcha comment/question but to really understand whether it is a resources issue or lack thereof given the city has been run by Black administration after Black administration in recent times (Bowser Gray Fenty Williams etc...) for more than 40 years DC has been Black run. I would like to think at least Black mayors would want to allocate resources toward these communities to reduce some of the problems.

Lastly, this is more sad than anything as opposed to beating up on the youth. I see young Black people as possible agents of change, future educators, innovators and just overall productive members of our society and our people. I see other children of other groups (White and non-white) doing circles in every academic/educational attainment category and a significant amount of our youths are losing their lives to gun violence curtailing them from reaching their potential. Quite frankly we are getting our asses kicked and it is sad to see.

To use a sport analogy, we are the worst team in the league and with no lottery picks in sight to turn the situation around (no lottery picks because our young ppl/talent are just have no direction out here dying or going to prison).

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I wasn’t voted Mayor so it’s not my job to answer that but as a citizen of this city I can at the very least observe what’s going on and come to my own conclusions. But for the sake of argument, more affordable housing and neighborhoods that provide similar amenities to better serviced parts of the city.

There are already certain things already in place like the Summer Jobs program and all of the free programs with DC Parks and Rec

so more affordable housing will stop teenagers from steeling tires and rims

:mjlol:

Daps

There are already certain things already in place like the Summer Jobs program and all of the free programs with DC Parks and Rec. There needs to be more, but there are some things to work with and I can agree that these opportunities need to be taken.

the ren in dc is crazy, summer jobs paying 16-18hr wont get you that far, unless u plan on taking 50k-80 student loans... imo as black people our problem is that we lack structure in our households to where certain negative ideas about life are tolerated, amongst other things. takes a man to raise a man

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
mot black people do not have education and cannot in general take advantage of the opportunities

Thats what you sound like to other races/ethnicities while they hopscotch pass you in life. No one cares anymore. Fredrick Douglas was born an illiterate slave. Would you have me believe Black people in the year 2023 face greater obstacles to atleast breaking even or bettering themselves then Fredrick Douglas? Can't is different than won't

Also you type like a bot.

Daps

Thats what you sound like to other races/ethnicities while they hopscotch pass you in life. No one cares anymore. Fredrick Douglas was born an illiterate slave. Would you have me believe Black people in the year 2023 face greater obstacles to atleast breaking even or bettering themselves then Fredrick Douglas? Can't is different than won't

Also you type like a bot.

and you type like a clown, i merely am explaing the struggles of the black community not justifying it. are you a mexican?

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
and you type like a clown, i merely am explaing the struggles of the black community not justifying it. are you a mexican?
Si senor
full

And what I'm telling you is no one cares about "the struggle" anymore either you getting to it or not.

Carjacking/robbing/running down on opps/etc while using "lack of resources" as an excuse is a tired diatribe

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Violence is spilling over to the colleges.

Last edited:

br82186

Superstar
Daps
Violence is spilling over to the colleges.

Like I said DCPD and Bowser better nip that ish in a bud because DMV residents ain't getting punked by teenagers, also alot of these teens are gonna graduate from just jumping people to straight up threaten them with guns.