Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you spent half a decade consuming white supremacist propaganda online you might have ended up as mush brained as the rest of these losers

None of these dudes give a fukk about black people or solving our issues. They just scream into the void about shyt they don’t understand. Just gas lighting themselves for the dopamine

I give other black folks a pass because most of the time nikkas work and don't have time to think about those types of things and that's what these cacs bank on. We will be revisiting this thread in 10 yrs talking about how white dc is and why didn't the black people keep their properties

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nothing but excuses. What about the people that come from poor 3rd world countries? They don't commit crime and work their way up.

Some dude escaped the Taliban and came to America. Worked as Uber driver to make ends meet. Ended up getting killed.

Nikka what? Go to Colombia, bring all your electronics and see what happens :dahell:

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
From my Councilmember

July 11, 2023​

Today the Council passed 12-1 an emergency bill related to issues of public safety.​

1. There has been a lot of confusion about the Prioritizing Public Safety Emergency Amendment Act of 2023, so I wanted to take this opportunity to explain what it is, what it is not, and why I voted for it.

First, this legislation is not the same as the Safer Stronger legislation proposed by the Mayor, although it includes some provisions from the Mayor's bill. Rather, the bill we voted on today is modest and targeted. It focuses on significant gaps or challenges presented by existing law.

Second, this legislation has changed significantly since Councilmember Pinto introduced it last Thursday. I was originally concerned about the section modifying standards for the pre-trial detention of juveniles being too broad. In partnership with colleagues, I worked with Councilmember Pinto to focus this section only on the most violent offenses. I also voted for amendments to the bill offered by Councilmembers Robert White and Charles Allen that improved this legislation with regards to the District's crime-related data collection efforts.

Third, the legislation is an emergency legislation, meaning it is limited to 90 days. While my colleagues and I embraced the urgent need to make targeted changes to our laws needed to reduce violent crime in the District, we also understand the need to revisit these decisions before considering them in permanent legislation. I will continue to engage neighbors to ensure we strike the right balance.

You can watch or read the statement I made on the dais. For those interested in taking a deeper dive, this chart breaks down sections of the bill and why I support them.

Statement on The Prioritizing Public Safety Emergency Amendment Act of 2023​

The Council also unanimously adopted separate pieces of emergency legislation relating to public safety. Those bills will (1) clarify the law on vehiclular pursuits used by MPD, and (2) improve transparency and reliability of the the Office of Unified Communications by requiring regular data sharing about errors and failures in responding to 911 calls and more.

The bigger picture...
Some have pointed out that the emergency legislation adopted today does not address the vital and urgent work pertaining to the underlying and systemic issues that exacerbate public safety. I agree. I am mindful that even robust administration of our criminal laws has its limits. If we are truly going to build the healthy, safe communities we all crave, we need to think more critically about the chain of events that leads to an individual picking up a gun and engaging in a violent act in the first place.

So while I supported this bill today, I do not consider it the beginning or end of this body’s work to advance public safety. Neighbors are tired of the violence, and so am I. I look forward to robust oversight of the agencies responsible for enforcing our laws. I look forward to continued conversations about refocusing MPD on its core crime-fighting responsibilities while embracing civilian public safety roles where they make sense. And I look forward to the hard, important work of interrupting the cycles of exclusion, underinvestment, and disillusionment that plagues District communities where violence is particularly prevalent.

This is why the first four significant pieces of legislation I’ve introduced as Councilmember are aimed at 1) alleviating poverty and cycles of displacement, 2) expanding non-police safety roles at District schools, and 3) establishing reasonable controls on the firearm industry members that are responsible for the proliferation of guns in our communities. Let’s dig deeper:
  1. Alleviating Poverty and Cycles of Displacement. Both the District Child Tax Credit Amendment Act of 2023 and the Financial Support for Families with Children Amendment Act of 2023 are aimed at reducing childhood poverty in the District, which we know will have a measurable impact on a host of other outcomes for children (including education, health, and more).
  2. Non-Police Safety Roles. The School Safety Enhancement Amendment Act of 2023 allows schools to take individualized and non-law-enforcement-based approaches to safety plans by establishing a new role of School Safety Director (and for High Schools, a second role of Assistant School Safety Director). The bill aims to improve coordination between schools and the District’s public safety apparatus, while also building in more support systems for students, teachers, and administrators that are not reliant on law enforcement.
  3. Reasonable Controls for Gun Manufacturers. While the District is unfortunately limited in its ability to address the gun crisis both locally and nationally due to a lack of federal action and legislation, there are some steps we can take. The Establishment of Reasonable Controls for the Firearm Industry Amendment Act of 2023 empowers us toward one of them, by allowing the Office of the Attorney General and District residents to sue firearm industry members for harms caused by the manufacture or sale of a firearm-related product that is abnormally dangerous or likely to create an unreasonable risk of harm to public health and safety in the District.
Keeping Ward 5 neighbors and District residents safe is among my top priorities. Today’s vote is just one of the many actions I’m taking toward improving public safety. Please visit my website to reach out and explore the Ward 5 Public Safety Plan, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Yours in service and community,
Zachary

But the coli is going to ignore the big bold letters :mjlol:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Thats the thing its not even that its the state and fed government taking away and hyper gentrification. Every decade us well to do blacks use this an excuse but like always this is designed to keep black folks in jail to feed the system to make way for cacs. Also we never talk about crime bills never work out of black people but here we are :mjcry:. Hard to be a normal person when your parents can't even pay rent

Too many people bring kids into this world knowing they can't take care of em. Always starts at home. ALWAYS. Just because you aren't well to do isn't an excuse for you and your seeds to act the fool out there knowing the consequences especially as black people.

When the pendulum swings too far in one direction it's gonna go back in the other direction. There is no excuse for robbing and carjacking innocent people. NONE. And if you aren't gonna do your job as a parent, society will. And society won't be as kind...especially when you black.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Too many people bring kids into this world knowing they can't take care of em. Always starts at home. ALWAYS. Just because you aren't well to do isn't an excuse for you and your seeds to act the fool out there knowing the consequences especially as black people.

When the pendulum swings too far in one direction it's gonna go back in the other direction. There is no excuse for robbing and carjacking innocent people. NONE. And if you aren't gonna do your job as a parent, society will. And society won't be as kind...especially when you black.

You my dude but I respectfully disagree because when we talk about this we never think about the factors other than personal responsivity and tbh its been proven this never does anything to solve or prevent crime.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
You my dude but I respectfully disagree because when we talk about this we never think about the factors other than personal responsivity and tbh its been proven this never does anything to solve or prevent crime.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. If it's not the parents, then what is it?

What factors are forcing Teens to loot, rob, and kill innocent people?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

I'm sorry but your job as a parent is to raise your children to not be buffoons. Once they become adults :hubie:

There has to be some kind of accountability instead of blaming everything else. I didn't grow up well to do, none of my childhood friends either. But we all knew that our parents would put the foot in our ass if we acted up. That's missing nowadays.

Everything starts at home..everything.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm not sure what you're getting at. If it's not the parents, then what is it?

What factors are forcing Teens to loot, rob, and shoot at innocent people?

Again has the government invested in public services, rent control, public school funding, childhood care, free healthcare? Until the system is corrected nothing will change and im not just talking about my personal opinion im talking about evidence from previous crime bills. Once we start looking for a place of fixing the actual issue we are going to rely on a racist system to "fix" crime.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Again has the government invested in public services, rent control, public school funding, childhood care, free healthcare? Until the system is corrected nothing will change and im not just talking about my personal opinion im talking about evidence from previous crime bills. Once we start looking for a place of fixing the actual issue we are going to rely on a racist system to "fix" crime.

What does any of those things have to do with killing innocent people? Struggling people, elders, kids.

God forbid if a family member of yours gets killed, but will you blame those things or the actual shooter?

It sounds like a lot of y'all live in gated communities and don't understand the real world.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
What does any of those things have to do with killing innocent people? Struggling people, elders, kids.

God forbid if a family member of yours gets killed, but will you blame those things or the actual shooter?

It sounds like a lot of y'all live in gated communities and don't understand the real world.

:gucci: I been robbed a gunpoint and have had family members killed but im not dumb enough to think that more policing and jail is going to fix or deter people until the system is destroyed. Since you in your feelings using that point tell me which crime bill deterred or made a community better? Do you know more innocent black men get locked up as a result of crime bills because of the overreaching language right? Yall can be pro police and locking other black men up all you want but it doesn't'; change the fact bills like this are created for cacs to move into these neighborhoods and feel protected