Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
All jokes aside tho...Unfortunately, there's probably going to be an overcorrection to all of the crime and violence.

We can go back and forth on what's really happening, but that won't solve things in the immediate. It's a generational problem that requires a generational solution.

Yeah we have to catch and lock up the immediate offenders no to get it under control but here is what concerns me about a 'generational solution' later argument.

In 1994 we argued (and I remembered the debates) that we needed to get the thugs off the street and in jail now and the generational fixes would have to come later. There were actual community fixes in the original crime bill but Gingrich and the rest got those removed as 'welfare for crooks'.

Well, here we are 30 years later and obviously a generation was pissed away with no 'generational solution'. I don't think people care, they think 'those people' can't be fixed so they want to get us on board with draconian crime measures with a carrot of holistic solutions later. But when crime goes down they see these soft things as the first things to cut from the budget (criminologist James Alan Fox talked about this 15 years ago when the crime was at a bottom). Then things get out of control again in another generation.

I respect the hell out of you as a poster, but I highlighted the bolded because I used to think media/music didn't contribute, but I've learned it's one cog in social conditioning. No one is listening to a song, going into a trance and committing crime, but the conditioning makes it a more acceptable response to their circumstances. I'm broke, it's aiight to rob someone. Someone disrepects me, it's aiight to kill them. It's not in a vacuum, but conditioning (music, movies, clout chasing, peer group, parental involvement) helps load the gun, the circumstances pull the trigger.

Innocent people are dying, those same innocent people are going to start not to care if some people aren't properly processed through the system, because they want something done now. That's how we got the 94 crime bill.

I mean you are right, it is a factor. I am 100% sure certain criminals or crimes can be tied to music. My thing is just that I don't buy overall crime trends have much to do with the latest murder music trend. Now, if the trends for crime are right, bad music, peer influence, social media shyt, having a bad day, etc. can all lead to murder but if the conditions are right, any proximate cause can give someone an excuse to do crime. Homicide per capita was 50% higher in the 1980s and music wasn't justifying any of it.

I honestly would be more open to blame music for dumb stuff done by 'suburban thugs' who aren't deprived instead of people who grow up in a social climate condoning this stuff. People growing up where the only stable social hierarchy are gangs, the highest earners are dope fiends, and honor is so sensitive it is 'worth' killing for are pretty conditioned by the time they listen to the drill music track. But the latter is most visible so we can scapegoat it.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Yeah we have to catch and lock up the immediate offenders no to get it under control but here is what concerns me about a 'generational solution' later argument.

In 1994 we argued (and I remembered the debates) that we needed to get the thugs off the street and in jail now and the generational fixes would have to come later. There were actual community fixes in the original crime bill but Gingrich and the rest got those removed as 'welfare for crooks'.

Well, here we are 30 years later and obviously a generation was pissed away with no 'generational solution'. I don't think people care, they think 'those people' can't be fixed so they want to get us on board with draconian crime measures with a carrot of holistic solutions later. But when crime goes down they see these soft things as the first things to cut from the budget (criminologist James Alan Fox talked about this 15 years ago when the crime was at a bottom). Then things get out of control again in another generation.

I mean you are right, it is a factor. I am 100% sure certain criminals or crimes can be tied to music. My thing is just that I don't buy overall crime trends have much to do with the latest murder music trend. Now, if the trends for crime are right, bad music, peer influence, social media shyt, having a bad day, etc. can all lead to murder but if the conditions are right, any proximate cause can give someone an excuse to do crime. Homicide per capita was 50% higher in the 1980s and music wasn't justifying any of it.

I honestly would be more open to blame music for dumb stuff done by 'suburban thugs' who aren't deprived instead of people who grow up in a social climate condoning this stuff. People growing up where the only stable social hierarchy are gangs, the highest earners are dope fiends, and honor is so sensitive it is 'worth' killing for are pretty conditioned by the time they listen to the drill music track. But the latter is most visible so we can scapegoat it.
Music is a lame excuse. Music can’t fuel crime.

the generational solution is the people that can make it out of the hood move to the burbs for a Better QOL.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection

I wish more folks on here would debate like you my guy.

I absolutely think there's a segment of those in the dominate society that truly think black people are savages and should just be completely ex-communicated from the larger society. And it's fukked up that some of the solutions run parallel to what the Bull Connor's, Sheriff Arpaio's of the US would like to do. But what do you do for the innocent black people who bare the brunt of these crimes? Society breaks down when you think you can be subject to random acts of violence. There's no faith in the future.

I'm a believer in stopping the bleeding and then performing surgery. There needs to be a holistic approach to attack what's happening now and how to prevent it for future generations.

There is no easy solution. We've had conversations before about me being originally from Philly. I grew a half mile where dude randomly killed those 5 people a week ago. What's really fukked up is I've known more people personally that have died in the last 7 years in Philly, than the 20 that I lived there.

I'm not even in the city anymore and I know why, how, and in some cases even WHO committed those murders. Yet they are walking free to this day. It's a multitiered problem that culture contributes to. The police are definitely a problem, because if I know these things, THEY DEFINITELY know, but the bleeding has to stop and then you can address the root causes. And that's on us to hold the Gingrich's, Danielle Outlaw's, the Jim Kenney's feet to the fire.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree with you, but respectfully do you live in that area? Perhaps we should be concerned with what the residents, specifically the working class men and women but also the elderly, want.

Not in D.C. Anybody that live there know these nikkas been wilding.

I still remember that dude to stabbed that white dude 30 something times on the subway to get his cell phone :francis:

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC
Alot of nikkas in here ain't ever step foot in the DMV. Them teens are wylin with the carjackings and robberies gonna be a hot summer

The weapons training and CCW classes at Maryland Small Arms Range have been booked up and packed up for a minute.

That bum ass bamma that was doing multiple carjackings in DC and PG killed one of my buddy's coworkers. Dude was just getting off work from Metro getting something to eat in the McDonald's drive thru when he got killed.:francis:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
for the last part you have been brainwashed to believe that

i do believe lots of cops are doing nothing at least nothing positive for the communities they police. i think things wouldn’t change the way you’d think if you had less cops around.

People forget real quick. Just ask Baltimore if they remember. :sas1:

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Sad to say we stuck between a rock and a hard place and will continue to do so until we find away to police ourselves. All of the documentaries, articles, books,etc... about the evils of the justice system goes down the drain the min cops pull back and crime spikes.

We gon cry when its reviled that this bill caused more harm than good tho. Cycle goes on :francis:

5thbornpowerseed

All Star
Daps
I actually live in DC and to keep it 100 it’s largely black men and boys killing each other and carjacking each other. I knew people who were victims of carjackings and there’s been mad shootings around my neighborhood almost every night (I live in Congress Heights) and I WITNESSED homicide victims being duffle up while their family members are crying nearby. This isn’t a police issue, it’s dudes having no morality and proper home training and being influenced by Trap and Drill music which celebrates black death issue.

Peace.
Why are civilians Blamed for increasing crime rates?
The color of the person who commits the crime means nothing.
Are we unworthy of police protection?
We have to police ourselves?

The racial identity of the perpetrators of the crimes is of no consequence unless we are being asked to assist in their apprehensions.
But no.

We are to believe we are inherently evil or backwards or incapable of peace.
That’s bullshyt.
No matter the identity of the culprits …the mandate of peace is on police not on the community of people being terrorized by degenerates.