Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
Mayor Muriel Bowser’s government has been struggling to handle steadily rising violent crime rates in recent years. Although police and city officials point out that overall crime rates have dropped, murders and carjackings have spiked — creating an overall public perception that crime is getting worse. The issue was a primary topic of debate last year when Bowser successfully ran for a third term in office.

Although it’s still well below the levels in the 1980s and early 1990s, when Washington D.C. regularly led the nation in murders per-capita, the local murder rate has climbed steadily in recent years. In 2022, there was a roughly 10% drop in homicides after years of steady increases. But, after that one-year dip, homicides are up 14 percent compared to this time last year and the city is on pace to surpass 200 homicides for the third year in a row.

Maybe better policing. Not new laws.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Mayor Muriel Bowser’s government has been struggling to handle steadily rising violent crime rates in recent years. Although police and city officials point out that overall crime rates have dropped, murders and carjackings have spiked — creating an overall public perception that crime is getting worse. The issue was a primary topic of debate last year when Bowser successfully ran for a third term in office.

Although it’s still well below the levels in the 1980s and early 1990s, when Washington D.C. regularly led the nation in murders per-capita, the local murder rate has climbed steadily in recent years. In 2022, there was a roughly 10% drop in homicides after years of steady increases. But, after that one-year dip, homicides are up 14 percent compared to this time last year and the city is on pace to surpass 200 homicides for the third year in a row.

Maybe better policing. Not new laws.

You brought up the #'s. And I responded with #'s. Googling up internet #'s, papers, and studies is a sport for me.

That said, I agree that a lot of the crime wave is an ahistorical perception. Things used to be a lot worse.

And in the grand scheme of things, random kid A shooting random kid B should decrease as a percentage per 1,000 as time goes on. Especially if we do better with universal basic income and an overall expansion of the social safety net.

But trying to "technocrat" a way out of the issue by pointing at other stats doesn't address what to DC needs to do NOW to stop the car jackings and murders - the visceral crimes that people care about.

Taking an academic approach and intellectual distance from reality is one of the big problems of modern society, and government.

We do not want to talk about how to handle every 12 year old that goes on a car jacking spree.

I don't expect an internet forum to come up with workable and practical solutions that "please all the stakeholders" - but since I pay attention to what people with degrees, people with money, and people with power - I notice none of them are ever REAL. Not in public. (and part of that I think it's the Press' fault)

Folks are the same way with school/mass shootings, climate change, the economy, voting rights, judicial overreach....On and on and on.

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
You brought up the #'s. And I responded with #'s. Googling up internet #'s, papers, and studies is a sport for me.

That said, I agree that a lot of the crime wave is an ahistorical perception. Things used to be a lot worse.

And in the grand scheme of things, random kid A shooting random kid B should decrease as a percentage per 1,000 as time goes on. Especially if we do better with universal basic income and an overall expansion of the social safety net.

But trying to "technocrat" a way out of the issue by pointing at other stats doesn't address what to DC needs to do NOW to stop the car jackings and murders - the visceral crimes that people care about.

Taking an academic approach and intellectual distance from reality is one of the big problems of modern society, and government.

We do not want to talk about how to handle every 12 year old that goes on a car jacking spree.

I don't expect an internet forum to come up with workable and practical solutions that "please all the stakeholders" - but since I pay attention to what people with degrees, people with money, and people with power - I notice none of them are ever REAL. Not in public. (and part of that I think it's the Press' fault)

Folks are the same way with school/mass shootings, climate change, the economy, voting rights, judicial overreach....On and on and on.

Better policing does wonders IMO.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
fukk does this have to do with our conversation :russ:

You and your dumb anecdotal bullshyt is why we don't have these back in forths. You don't value data or information at all. It's why your beliefs in how to do thinks aren't just unrealistic they're fukking stupid

But your goofy a$$ think the white supremacist you loathe will? You're beyond fukking stupid..

Daps
Who would convict someone over this?

If this was the case then everyone that is poor would be committing crimes
I mean you're fukking dumb as dogshyt so of course your response would be something so low IQ a remedial student would throw their fukking food at you in disgust. I could post stuff that backs up my point and I have in the past and you either can't read it, don't read it, or you just don't care. I think we all know you don't actually care and just like to scream into the void about shyt you can't remotely understand or try and talk about online.

You do this insane right wing posting on here all the time about crime. You'd prob advocate for murdering criminals straight up and see nothing wrong with it. Not really worth anyone's time to entertain a discussion on you as you'd clearly like to live in some third world shyt hole.

Last edited:
Daps
Of course I don't understand that shyt. Im a capitalist pig, remember? Im everything you hate.. Remember that shyt next time you click reply to any of my posts. Fagg.
You advocated for black people living in communes in another thread. When I pointed out that you were talking about communism, you were oblivious to what that was. Maybe just maybe you should consider using numbers and studies to come to conclusions because you're clearly not smart enough to get there on your own.

When I lack the knowledge on something I look outside my own damn head for answers. Maybe you should try and do the same for once in your life

I honestly don't know how some of you a$$holes get through the day without accidentally killing yourselves

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You advocated for black people living in communes in another thread. When I pointed out that you were talking about communism, you were oblivious to what that was. Maybe just maybe you should consider using numbers and studies to come to conclusions because you're clearly not smart enough to get there on your own.

When I lack the knowledge on something I look outside my own damn head for answers. Maybe you should try and do the same for once in your life

I honestly don't know how some of you a$$holes get through the day without accidentally killing yourselves

For starters, NONE of you kids on this site can advise me on anything, its all entertainment for me. Secondly, pull up this thread you talking about..