Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
That Lyft/Uber driver getting shot up was the final straw. It's too many pre teens and teens wilding the hell out and either never getting caught or getting laughable charges.
yup. the fact that breh was an interpreter who helped US soldiers during Afghan war I knew this was gonna hit different

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
No it doesn't. Your culture and who raised you dictates your actions towards a life of crime, not systematic racism. Every black person has to go through some type of systematic racism and a lot of us don't resort to crime.

I could lose my job and house tomorrow, I'm not about to go robbing people. Walmart is always hiring.

You are being purposely obtuse

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
It’s so bad in DC that in NYC…I was riding the train and there was a recruitment poster for DC police. I’ve never seen an ad like this in my life which shows DC police has to be understaffed and nobody wants to be a cop. I had to snap a flick of it because that shyt surprised me…

They are willing to pay New Yorkers with relocation packages to become police officers in DC…
8-AC94424-671-A-43-F7-A4-D0-16-DAC5-A4-CBC4.jpg

U may not be able to see it too clearly but that says monthly academy classes, $66.5K starting, $25K signing bonus, $6K rental assistance…

Y’all think this crime shyt a game when it’s something that needs to be urgently addressed. Nobody wants to be a teacher in these cities. Nobody wants to be a cop in these cities and the businesses both small and chain get ransacked so often they have to close early or close entirely creating food deserts. These cities are eating each other alive and a lot of the shyt that happens…happens for no good reason.

@ISO if you don't live in DC can you still apply and become a DC cop? I live in Georgia.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
There are no excuses but this is a multifaceted issue with multiple causes.

I think bad parenting is a big reason but you have to ask yourself how these bad parents were created and why these people are in a cyclical of failure.
You really think if their were more doctors and engineers in the hood that would stop dudes shooting into crowds and holding up people with guns in their faces?

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
No it doesn't. Your culture and who raised you dictates your actions towards a life of crime, not systematic racism. Every black person has to go through some type of systematic racism and a lot of us don't resort to crime.

I could lose my job and house tomorrow, I'm not about to go robbing people. Walmart is always hiring.
And that is the biggest problem. Racism exists, but using that as an excuse for you or others to brutalize your neighbors is pathetic. The vast majority of people in the hood are not committing crimes, so fukk that victim shyt to explain why you stuck a gun in someone's face and drug them out of their car.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
yup. the fact that breh was an interpreter who helped US soldiers during Afghan war I knew this was gonna hit different

dikkheaded kids yelling about "he was reaching". Wait until they start trying these goofies as adults at a young age. They're really going to be trying to be on some "Self Destruction, we're heading for self-destruction" shyt when one of those ghoulish politicians allow the supreme court to have youngins face the death penalty.

Catch a vic and end up riding Ole Sparky :huhldup:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Good luck making 66k work in DC... you'd definitely be living in PG.
Your pay increases over time that’s a starting salary and police in DC who do nightshifts get paid more and there’s also OT so you’d make more than $66K.

There’s also a $25K signing bonus and $6K in rental assistance. You have to live in DC can’t live in PG.

You can find an apartment in DC…I don’t believe that. Might not be in the most desirable area…it might be a studio or small 1 bedroom…might not be a fully renovated spot but you can find a decent apartment on that salary.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
nikka please :mjlol:
Support juvenile pre-trial detention even though it’s common knowledge that incarcerating kids causes very real harms, including increasing the likelihood that they'll commit more serious crimes in the future.:yeshrug:

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It seems like after 2020, shyt got legit crazy in not only major cities, but small ones as well. This Uber driver was telling my family and I that the crime used to be low in the city, but raised a bit over the years. Its not as bad as most cities, but its still alarming that there was a time when bodies were in the usual ratio. Now folks can't even go outside without the fear of being a statistic.

You have random shootings, carjackings, and so forths that makes the 80s/90s argument seem like poppycock.
They were straight up stealing corvettes and Ferraris in day light in Georgetown by the waterfront of all places...I drive a pretty noticeable luxury car on the weekends...and I enjoy going over to that area...not exactly an enticement to go over there even if it's rare. Like do I really want to spend money even in the better areas of the district if I have to worry about randomly getting carjacked by kids with automatic weapons?