Facebook acquired Oculus Rift for $2 billion

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sony has $151 billion in assets, that's more than Microsoft and Google. Facebook isn't even close to any of those three and damn sure can't buy it. I swear, dudes underestimate how big of a company Sony really is (which is part of their ongoing financial problems, but that's another story)
yeah sony def has money. i know i own more sony electronics than any other company. anything i've ever bought from them has been reliable and i know alot of other people feel that way too. they won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Hot piece of tech =/= successful piece of tech

If anything this acquisition makes the challenge more difficult.

Before OR could have sold just a couple million units and been very succesful. Now with $2b and Facbook behind them they have to sell a lot more.

:russ:

It being a hot piece of technology is exactly why Facebook bought it, and how does this make things more difficult, so before it was difficult when it wasn't mainstream and now that it's mainstream it's going to be more difficult. You're pure comedy Meach, the second MS comes with their own VR headset you'll be trumpeting VR as the renaissance.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I... don't even know. I don't facebook...

off the top, this sounds like a bad thing, but who knows

anyway...

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
Real shyt. I know another guy on another forum who was a heavy backer of this shyt, and dude is not fukking happy right now. I mean....goddamn. Not cool. FB doesn't owe those donors jack shyt, I'm assuming.

They have a legit reason to be a bit heated. They funded it under the premise they were funding Oculus as an independent entity that would continue to develop on the beta dev kits they each got.

They didn't fund it under the premise of being a Seed Round + Series A round of funding for a company to be acquisition bait down the road and to be dumped on the sidelines. If this was the case, 2m in funding would definitely clear a Seed (500k) and small Series A (1.5m) to net at the very least ~ 10% of the company (but more likely upwards of 20% depending on other funders and share dilution down the road) in equity and have a say in product development and company direction.

In normal venture capital, oculus would have owed at the lower bound 200m and at the upper bound 400m to these first funders.

Instead, under the kickstarter model, Oculus got free cash, made some pretty demos, went on a tech road show to up their valuation, and got acquired while keeping 100% equity of the company while kickstarters got some dev kits that'll be obsolete and unsupported since I'm sure they don't fit Facebook's "product roadmap".

Oculus = :smugdraper:

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
occulus just lost the race to sony

2 billion dollars from fb, they had no option, but fb is already a dying brand and the trust is at all time lows.

this will help development now, but in the long run bad move.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
occulus just lost the race to sony

2 billion dollars from fb, they had no option, but fb is already a dying brand and the trust is at all time lows.

this will help development now, but in the long run bad move.

Wait, why has sony won in all of this? I dont know much about this situation...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This REALLY pisses me off. Oculus Rift is basically DOA now :to:

At least there's sony :gladbron:

And maybe Valve.

If this fb buyout isn't the definition of going against your morals and selling out, I dunno what it :smh:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
Wait, why has sony won in all of this? I dont know much about this situation...

about 2 weeks ago sony announced they were were making a virtual reality headset codenamed project morpheus

VR-headset.jpg

the fact that facebook bought oculus rift might (just my speculation) mean it will be used primarily for commercial purposes instead of gaming. facebook in general is dying off as a social media site and by nature they make money by selling peoples information so consumer trust is falling pretty quickly with them.

this is all my opinion so take it as that, but i think the fact that sonys VR set is being developed specifically for a gaming rig gives it an immediate market that oculus doesn't have. pc gamers will buy it, but the facebook cosign doesn't help.. also if you saw earlier in the thread some devs are already dropping out of working with oculus because of facebook.

i doubt it will kill oculus, but they HAVE to have the superior product to compete, 2 billion dollars will help though. if they come out with something that crushes morpheus in quality than they should be fine.