Facebook acquired Oculus Rift for $2 billion

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
:dead: @ facebook employees. I have a couple of friends who work at Facebook and now my feed is flooded with all of these fools playing with Oculus Dev Kits.

10153286_10152288140507394_1582687608_n.jpg

I was like "this will still be for the maker community right? with partial open source for product development and for sure open APIs for connectivity right?"

their response? :russ:

(they were just kidding ... but not really ...)

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
:dead: @ facebook employees. I have a couple of friends who work at Facebook and now my feed is flooded with all of these fools playing with Oculus Dev Kits.

I was like "this will still be for the maker community right? with partial open source for product development and for sure open APIs for connectivity right?"

iPCzVE66CEYPS.png

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Oculus VR employees got death threats after Facebook sale [UPDATE]
"We did not expect to be getting so many death threats and harassing phone calls that extended to our families," creator Palmer Luckey says.
by Eddie Makuch on March 29, 2014

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Oculus Rift creator Palmer Luckey wrote on Reddit that Oculus VR employees have received death threats in the wake of the company's sale to Facebook.

"We expected a negative reaction from people in the short term, we did not expect to be getting so many death threats and harassing phone calls that extended to our families," Luckey said. "We know we will prove ourselves with actions and not words, but that kind of sh** is unwarranted, especially since it is impacting people who have nothing to do with Oculus."

The original story is below. We have updated this story's headline to reflect Luckey's comments, which were made today.

Following the surprise announcement Tuesday that Facebook had purchased Oculus VR for $2 billion, positive and negative comments flowed forth from social media. Oculus VR vice president Nate Mitchell said in a new interview with Game Informer that he expected to get some heat from its core fans over the deal, but said he was surprised by the outpouring of negativity from the community at large.

"We assumed that the reaction would be negative, especially from our core community," Mitchell said. "Beyond our core community, we expected it would be positive. I don't think we expected it to be so negative."

In the time that's passed, Mitchell said he's already starting to see the conversation on Twitter and Reddit "swinging back the opposite direction." He stressed that it's up to Oculus VR to educate people on why the deal makes sense and should be considered a good thing.

21-year-old Oculus Rift creator Palmer Luckey has been busy doing just that. Immediately following the announcement of the acquisition, he answered dozens of questions on Reddit about privacy concerns and what the deal means for the future of Oculus. For more on the Oculus VR/Facebook deal, check out editorials from GameSpot editors Tom McShea and Peter Brown.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oc...eats-after-facebook-sale-update/1100-6418626/
---------------------------------

It's not that serious....damn :huhldup:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ

Nice. It's now going to be marketed as a plaything for middle aged cacs who want to be IN the Oprah Winfrey show

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Meta says it’s deleting all Oculus accounts at the end of the month​

You’ll lose all of your games, purchases, and store credits if you don’t migrate to a Meta account by March 29th.​

By Emma Roth, a news writer who covers the streaming wars, consumer tech, crypto, social media, and much more. Previously, she was a writer and editor at MUO.

Mar 1, 2024, 4:51 PM EST

4 Comments

The Quest 3 on a charging dock

Photo by Becca Farsace / The Verge

If you still haven’t migrated your Oculus account to a Meta one, you might want to do that soon. In an email sent to users, the company says it will delete Oculus accounts on March 29th, 2024, preventing you from reactivating or retrieving your apps, in-app purchases, store credits, and more. You’ll lose your achievements, friends list, and any content created with your Oculus account if you don’t migrate to a Meta account before then.

Oculus accounts have been on the way out since 2020, when the company then known as Facebook started requiring new users to sign up with Facebook accounts instead. However, it added the ability to create a Meta account in 2022, offering an alternative to users who didn’t want to link their Facebook account to their Quest headset. Meta stopped letting users log in to their Oculus accounts in January 2023. If you’ve got a Quest gathering dust in a drawer somewhere, now’s your last chance to migrate your Oculus account to a Meta one.

Screenshot_2024_03_01_at_11.02.05_AM.png

Screenshot by Emma Roth / The Verge

You can migrate your account by heading to this page and signing up for a Meta account with the same email you’ve used for Oculus. From there, you’ll be able to access all of the same games, data, and other purchases saved to your Oculus account.

Several of us here at The Verge received the email, including a couple of my colleagues who have already converted their Oculus accounts to Meta. It’s not clear whether Meta sent these emails by mistake or if there’s any action Meta account holders will need to take. The Verge reached out to Meta with a request for more information but didn’t immediately hear back.