everyday i wake up and am reminded what a scam college is

SonofaGod

Pro
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'm 80K in the hole :why: But fukk it, if I didn't go to college I'd probably be dead, in jail, or a bum by now so :manny:

true story. as far as career prospects college did jack for me. But if i had the chance to do it all over, i would. Why? Because the experience developed and matured me as a man:jawalrus:. It also opened my eyes to much outside of my hometown, and living out on my own.

Had I not went, I wouldve been that 17 year old ignorant punk out of high school.

The experience was priceless, the education and promises were worthless:manny:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
true story. as far as career prospects college did jack for me. But if i had the chance to do it all over, i would. Why? Because the experience developed and matured me as a man:jawalrus:. It also opened my eyes to much outside of my hometown, and living out on my own.

Had I not went, I wouldve been that 17 year old ignorant punk out of high school.

The experience was priceless, the education and promises were worthless:manny:

THIS

I got a job in my field, but I just want money now :manny:

Time to find a government job or city job that requires a degree and cake up, get a pension and nice benefits :takedat:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
:huhldup: damn, you serious nikka? WTF does this dude do now?

IDK he just graduated last month. But yea he switched his major from architecture to that. I was like :upsetfavre: Hes one of those fake hippy type clowns so he will probably be traveling from city to city with a labrodor beggin for money

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
What's interesting is that the big name university doesn't really matter that much. I'm in law school now, and they really don't care as much as you would think if you went to Harvard or Stanford or anything like that. As long as your core numbers are what they want (GPA and LSAT score), and as long as it isn't some horrible school, you're pretty much good. It does provide a little boost if they are deciding between two students with similar numbers, but that's about it.

This is true to an extent, but don't negate the fact that big name schools are a plurality at top law school programs. That could just be a result of the kid being smart in the first place, but the ivy league schools and then schools like Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, Duke, and Georgetown tend to be the most common undergraduate institutions.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
For being +$30K in debt, you better had attended a top private university (Ivy League, G-Town, Duke, etc) otherwise, you did it all wrong.

A good sir could never say that college is a scam though. It is a good investment for those who prepare and choose wisely.

Yeah if you're 30K in the hole (I was and now it's more thanks to law school) you better be attending one of those schools on that USNews and World Report most selective list..

NeverBePeace

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Why are y'all shiitting on business. I'm getting a degree in business with a concentration in Information Systems. Did I make a bad choice?:confused:

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Why are y'all shiitting on business. I'm getting a degree in business with a concentration in Information Systems. Did I make a bad choice?:confused:

Focus on getting the best internships possible and maintaining a 3.5 or better GPA. If you fail to do these, you've made the wrong choice.

NeverBePeace

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Focus on getting the best internships possible and maintaining a 3.5 or better GPA. If you fail to do these, you've made the wrong choice.
I'm only gonna be able to get one internship in since I"m graduating a half year earlier. But it seems like I'm fine otherwise. I haven't heard of anybody having a problem getting a solid job. Most people I know are getting jobs at amazon and Microsoft. I needed some extra certs to get into the Microsoft internship otherwise I would have done it this summer.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

If you get a business degree, make sure you have a wanted and needed specialization, i.e.; accounting, finance, healthcare administration, i.t., maybe human resources, etc.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
^^Also make sure you got your connects ups. Today, that can be more important than anything else. If you got somebody that can plug you with a entry level gig where you can work your way up, NONE of that other shyt matter.

NeverBePeace

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
If you get a business degree, make sure you have a wanted and needed specialization, i.e.; accounting, finance, healthcare administration, i.t., maybe human resources, etc.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that human resources is a waste of a specialization. It gives you no tangible skill-set and is a waste of time.
It's the choice that most rich white sorority girls choose, simply so that they can say they have a degree in business.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
my heart flourishes with joy when i read posts like this. welcome to the land of the wise, my friend.

i'm not knocking college at all. going to college and attaining at least a bachelors degree is important. where u go to college is NOT...unless your in a life saving field i.e. Medical, Law, etc, even then, find the cheapest damn college u can find as long as its not some online bs school like the univeristy of phoenix or Everest or any of those nonsense.

Real shyt, I'm going to a regular state school that's not putting me unfathomable amounts of debt so I can go to grad school

College is just living off it's reputation from back in the day.

Sad thing is, classes are harder now than it was back then, more expensive and more emphasis is placed on it when looking for jobs....BUT at the same time it's like none of that matters.

Also, for those of you calling certain degrees "crappy", etc., that may be the case NOW, but there's plenty of older ppl who have important titles/powerful jobs who graduated with those same degrees y'all refer to as "crappy" now. Plenty of English majors are making 6 figures in corporate America.

Cosign especially at the bolded.

I'm probably going to be an english major when I transfer to my four year school and I realize that the job oppurtunities may not be there, but that's why I'm planning on going to law school or grad shool.

nikkas kill me when they say "you gotta major something in engineering, mathematics, and in the medical field".

I'm not interested in doing none of that shyt, I wanna major in something I'm interested in so I'll be motivated to work hard. I rather struggle finding work in something I want to do, than have a job doing something my heart isn't into.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
my heart flourishes with joy when i read posts like this. welcome to the land of the wise, my friend.

i'm not knocking college at all. going to college and attaining at least a bachelors degree is important. where u go to college is NOT...unless your in a life saving field i.e. Medical, Law, etc, even then, find the cheapest damn college u can find as long as its not some online bs school like the univeristy of phoenix or Everest or any of those nonsense.

I agree...everything in college I can learn in a library.. But I would still go. and having to pay back student loans >>>>> stuck in some dead in end job for the rest of your life.

I hate paying back my 20K Loan, but I'll take it anyday over working in warehouses again :(

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

Depends on your internships and connects. But it mostly depends on the caliber of your school. The first two things are easier to get from better schools in the first place. There was a NYTimes article a couple years ago or maybe last year where they talked about how business majors don't know anything and liberal arts majors actually perform better on the GMAT than business majors do.