Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I just saw a preview for this show and it irritated me. The dad didn't know his children's birthday's and said it was because he had to work. The show him at work having a contest of how long he can hold is breath in a bowl of water. Again, black fathers are either tuned out or missing altogether. I'd love to see a show about a dad going to a PTA meeting or leaving early because the kids are sick. Planning birthday parties and basically juggling all the duties are parenthood that mothers are applauded for in every show. Why does the dad always have to be a clown? Can't help the kids with their homework because he's stupid and stuff like that. There are some dad's that are really good at fatherhood and that needs to be highlighted more.

I agree, that was a big part of why Cosby did The Cosby Show....but Kenya is literally writing about his own life and I have no doubt that's the type of father he is (with exaggeration). You know a lot of those rich folk are gonna be sort of the absentee father because they out there making moves and rubbing elbows. :manny:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Seems try hard as fukk! I love my blackness and don't take the sacrifice our ancestors made for us lightly but cmon.

I have to check it out to support the brother but I don't know so far.

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
The titles are inherently marginalizing ...dont miss the psychology of associating contemporary despair exclusively with events from the 19th century and before....in an interracial comedy at that

But hollywierd is and has been their sandbox....you get what you ask for i suppose...what interactions with white people arent at the non white party's expense? shyt this can go all the way into geopolitics :bryan:
yea, it's like we live in a global system of white supremacy or something.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
At this the show Rashida Jones is writing for? I knew it was going to be a wash based off of her producing it lol she biracial and represents her white side more

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Bullshyt. He was just trying to start shyt.

There are.

Kenya Barris wrote the first two episodes himself.
Esa Lewis co-wrote the 3rd episode.
Alison McDonald wrote the 6th episode.

And those are just writing credits, Kenya Barris himself (the creator, producer, star, and director of several episodes) is obviously acting as the showrunner and several of the white writers on the show are ones that he's already been collaborating with for all his previous shows so they're working under his direction.

It's obnoxious because this is one of the most free hands that a Black producer has been given to create his own show with a serious budget, it's 100% a Black man's creative vision with Black talent on both sides of the camera, and people casting shade just because he hired some white talent in minor roles.
ok so why does it look so forced, corny and like a liberal white persons dream show about blacks?

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Who are these people, and where did you find a info that they are writers on the show.

We're not doing the un sourced info in 2020

Their names are literally credited for each episode. Here is another one Hunter Covington. His wife is an executive producer for Black-Ish
7701-300x300.jpg

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
I swear, the "Black" crowd in TLR is 100x faster to tear down a Black man doing his thing than they would any White show. It makes you wonder....

They don't want to hear that, they'll base their entire opinion of the show on an unsourced claim about the writers from some random poster in TLR. :mjlol:

Probably one of the LEAST blaxploitation shows to get a budget. Black Producer/Writer/Director/Star portraying his own life the way he wishes to portray it. People seriously shook that he hired some White writers that he knew from his previous gigs to cowrite some of the episodes as if they ain't just carrying out his vision.

That's false, 3 of the 7 writers are Black including as you point out the main writer/creator who is making the rest adhere to his vision.

Y'all got to read the thread, he has both Black and White writers working for him, but it clear as day the show is his vision from start to finish regardless of who he hired.

The :manny: meant I don’t know.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Only 3 other black writers. Doug Hall, Alison McDonald and Esa Lewis

Doug Hall
DjeBC0xU0AAWdSC.jpg

Alison McDonald
Alison+McDonald+Amazon+Red+Carpet+Premiere+2T275XVPPo2l.jpg

She almost turned this into a show on ABC

Esa Lewis (No pic) I am assuming she is black
Wrote for the Wayans Bros and Enough is Enough (1981)

Daps
i havent seen the show but i approve those titles.

As long as slavery is a thing that happened.... and white america still hasnt apologized and given reparations... then yep, sounds about right.

Almost every single instance of uneven footing that puts black Americans at a disadvantage can easily traced bsck to slsvery
Because this show is for white people.

Look at the writers

segal-headshot.jpg

schamis-headshot.jpg

Hale+Rothstein+bNgcfjRLIPnm.jpg

0xX7NSOZ_400x400.jpg

These two post back to back though :mjgrin::mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
At this the show Rashida Jones is writing for? I knew it was going to be a wash based off of her producing it lol she biracial and represents her white side more
She doesn't have a writing credit, though she does direct some episodes and probably has her say in the writing too.

ok so why does it look so forced, corny and like a liberal white persons dream show about blacks?
I ain't seen it yet but NO ONE I've heard who actually watched it says it looks like a "liberal white person's dream show". It's Kenya Barris basically writing about his own life to push the storylines that ABC wouldn't let him push on Black-ish. It's corny and forced cause it's a fukking sit-com, EVERY sit-com is corny and forced.

:mjlol: :mjlol: cac demons couldn't get through half of 1 episode w/o pushing a fruit pop huh
Kenya Barris literally wrote the first episode himself but now it's "CAC demons" because Frank Ocean is there. :snoop: