Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It does get better...

I just finished episode 5, the Tyler Perry one. The humor picks up with more funny moments than you get in the first 2-3 episodes. And you start to see the purpose in his show, they are bringing up some relevant discussions in his comedy, you just have to wait for it...

Earlier I gave it a 2/10 based on the first two episodes. Finished 5 episodes now and i have it around a 4.5/10. It still isn't some groundbreaking work of art, at least not yet, but the vision does start to appear and the laughs become a little more frequent. It isn't complete trash and I have seen worse shows made by us, for us...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It rubs me wrong that crackers are writing this shyt and sayn

"Bcuz of slavery" fukkn cacs mocking history
If you had read the thread rather than reading TLR bullshyt on the front page, you'd know that a Black man from Inglewood is the one who made those titles for HIS show for his own very specific reasons. :snoop:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
And why does Rashida remind me of Tracie Ellie Ross on Black-ish? :dahell:
Both characters are TV representations of his real-life wife.

That's cool n all, but just don't call it black AF, cause it aint
Pretty sure the title is in reference to himself and is meant to show tension between the world he came from and the world he lives in now. Born and raised in Inglewood, went to school at Clark Atlanta, now has four of his own shows and a nine-figure bank account living the Hollywood life. :yeshrug:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
The trailer was awful , that alone put me off this show :hhh: Looked ridiculously corny

Don't fukk with Blackish either so I doubt this will be much different.

Ain't gon lie either, the shyt on the first page about the writers gave me an even worse impression of the show until I checked the IMDB credits... like @Rhakim said half of the writing team is black and Kenya's the lead writer/showrunner, there are no true co-writers on this show in the showrunning sense (which means Kenya is the one signing off on all of their work).

I'm thru two episodes and not feeling it at all, for all of the reasons you indicated...

Off the strength of my respect for @Rhakim, he and some other posters says it gets better going forward, so I'll watch some more. There's a lot wrong with this show...

Probably no bigger issue than it seems too much like a retread of Blackish, like we don't need an R-rated version of Blackish. I for one am a fan of Blackish, particularly the first 3-4 seasons, and love its creativity, originality, acting, and humor, I'm not one of the guys who dislikes Blackish. The problem is Blackish is fine as is, this continued expansion of the "Blackish cinematic universe" didn't need to be done, but if you were gonna do it, coulda been done more creatively...

The acting isn't good, Kenya's talent isn't in front of the screen. And while there are apparently black writers on here, it is lacking a realism and authenticity to it and comes off as minstrelsy. I had maybe two chuckles, the shyt is overall lacking in comedy, and is more #cringeAF than #blackAF....just from the first two episodes there are definitely better depictions of black lifestyle and family on television...

Blackish was fine and perfect for what it is. This shyt wasn't needed. I'll watch some more since people are saying it gets better but my initial review is about a 2 outta 10. We cool with the black man getting his money but the art isn't good...

That's exactly the picture I got while watching that trailer, its a shame that the show didn't execute well.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
Loving this shyt. Dude is a terrible father.

Horrible. He forgot their bds and stopped playing monopoly with his seed (who was about to talk about a girl he liked) to talk about a movie he hated. :laff:

Horrible husband too. I was don't wanna reveal anything... But the ocean scene. :dead: