Even children's cartoons are saying college is for suckers

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
This is bullshyt, college is still a pathway to upward mobility and getting into the middle class and having a good life especially with degrees that are sought after like lawyers, accountants, doctors, engineers , architects etc, if you have the chance to go to college or university i suggest you do so

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Where are all the upper middle class neighborhoods that are mostly college and high school dropouts?
/ end thread.

And then when we don't go to college, they say we didn't value education and we should lie in the bed we made. Never seen an affluent neighborhood or school push not going to college. I do think this rhetoric is pushed in our communities discourage us and ease admissions competition for upper middle class and affluent kids

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
I went to a CUNY for a "terrible" degree and did alright. Really depends on your location tbh.
Plus, CUNY is usually going to get most of the same internships and offers that NYU students would. I have friends with 200K in Student Loan Debt from Columbia and NYU. I left with like 10K because I fukked around a bunch and graduated late. Immediately got my next job and I'm basically in a network of alumni programs. Just last year, I switched careers through my company messaging Cuny alumni.

There are other options, but there's a reason people DO tell you to go to college. It's the easiest path.

Blakbrew

Rookie
Daps
Same opportunities exist in trades
From owning your own company and being less involved in dirty work
And bidding for government contracts
The average Joe in his van/truck ain't seeing six figures for most of his life
Gov contracts and good union jobs are the top crust of those careers that just anyone won't have access to

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The average Joe in his van/truck ain't seeing six figures for most of his life
Gov contracts and good union jobs are the top crust of those careers that just anyone won't have access to
you obviously just don't know
the average solid business has access to those contracts
you are talking non skilled person
if you are in van going around are probably on handy man shyt
nothing wrong with that but its not the best option

Daps
they are depending on the legions of gullible fools to let their kids listen to this garbage.

mean while they are out sourcing high paying jobs to college graduates over seas because apparently "there arent any skilled Americans"

crazy how right wing whites are against their own peoples development. convince them to not pursue higher education to Xing and Patel could have all those nice paying jobs
Almost.

Right wing whites (with power) don't care about STEM because white kids don't go deep into STEM like that. The only reason they have so much representation is because they're the majority population in the West.

Asians by comparison....are much deeper into STEM, disproportionate to their population. Outsourcing STEM means you can hire cheaper workers but then keep the managers, VPs etc., white. Let Amit and Jin handle the dirty work and then Bob Smith can run the department. Only super nerdy white kids go hard in STEM...medicine is an exception. Just about every Asian and African immigrant kid is STEM, law or business/accounting/finance...even if they're not nerdy.

Daps
So ADOS should be paying their kids full tuition and room and board like all these people you're talking about do/intend to do?

Oh and don't forget these kids are gonna be driving around campus in cars their parents bought and will likely have paid tutors. Gotta do that too.
:patrice:
Two years in community college for cheap (live at home) then two years at a big school. I went to university for 4 years and didn't need CC because my SAT scores, school choice, GPA etc., got me extra financial aid.

I didn't have a car until spring break of senior year and it was a POS Chevy with 206,000 miles. Just rode the bus and train or walked.. I got a good job offer on the same day I took my last final exam...traveled to Chicago for work training about 2-weeks later. Bought a car a few months later when training was done and I was back in Texas.

School was much cheaper when I started 20 years ago but I used financial aid and scholarships. Only needed $15k in loans because I slacked off two semesters.

If you wanna drive a nice car, live on campus at a big state school, have decent spending money, nice threads etc, yeah.....you will pay $$$$$$$$. College can be done for a lot less money.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
As a person with a degree who works in management I would advise anyone who asks to get a degree.

The lack of education in the work force is crazy. There are things you learn in college that doesn't seem to get passed to the everyday worker.

The nonsensical things people do will make you laugh.

There are the unemployment scammers who put so much effort into getting such a tiny amount of money it's embarrassing. We had a guy email his state rep for 3 month to try to get the amount of money the could have made if he had just worked for a week and quit.

Our office is relocating and we had a guy try to pull an "I quit" stunt which had no impact on operations. If he had just waited a week, he would have been eligible for unemployment.

Then there are the people who try and make complaints, but because they don't know how to properly file or who to speak with, they are never taken seriously.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
The community college angle in here is also funny because the propaganda I was served by teachers growing up was that community college was for losers/failures/etc. Has that negative propaganda gone away yet?

Once those people started having kids of their own and tuition skyrocketed everywhere...that kinda talk pretty much evaporated :pachaha:

Even some state universities wised up and started merging with the feeder schools outright :ehh:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I went to a CUNY for a "terrible" degree and did alright. Really depends on your location tbh.
Plus, CUNY is usually going to get most of the same internships and offers that NYU students would. I have friends with 200K in Student Loan Debt from Columbia and NYU. I left with like 10K because I fukked around a bunch and graduated late. Immediately got my next job and I'm basically in a network of alumni programs. Just last year, I switched careers through my company messaging Cuny alumni.

There are other options, but there's a reason people DO tell you to go to college. It's the easiest path.
As a CUNY grad who works in FAANG with Ivy Leaguers, THIS.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
but there’s still a lot of mediocre majors out there.

What year you trapped in? 1996?

People are doing the "right" majors (STEM) in record numbers, and still shytted on by the economy. Stop that right wing Peter Thiel BS talking points!

Wild self

Supporter
Daps

People are doing the "right" majors (STEM) in record numbers, and still shytted on by the economy. Stop that right wing Peter Thiel BS talking points!

Wild self

Supporter
Daps