European vs North American description of the Moors

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Yes they were referring to Somalis it was one of those general terms, Arabs used it in reference to Somalis as a way of differentiating with the Zanj(Africans below the Horn) and Abyssinians(Ethiopians). You're basically suggesting with the Ethiopian point what I just made with the Berber one. That was the way in which Arabs used the term, it didn't just refer to the actual Berbers. Hell, Somalia was referred to as "Berbera" at a point in history. Lets be honest, even if its a darker skinned Berber that's not the same as a Black West African or some shyt and they didn't look at themselves in that context either.

Honestly, I should just suggest you buy the book() rather than having to mark and scan shyt. I don't even give a fukk if you don't take my word for it. :pachaha:

Interesting. :smile:

But now that you mention Berbera I think the word Berber was used before Arabs by the Greeks/Romans. The word Berber may have been used to describe both Somalis and Berberic speaking populations of North Africa, especially because their lifestyles would have been so similar: cattle/camel keeping herding and largely Nomadic cultures, existing within Africa. Also I think Somalis were called Berbers much later on like during the 14/15th century when we start to see non black Berber groups because prior to that Berbers were included in the Ethiopian race along with other blacks.

As for Berbers not seeing themselves as the same as West Africans back then; I doubt Fulanis during the medieval era saw themselves as the same as say a Songhai. Heck during that time period Fulanis were labeled as white. Yet we know the Fulanis were black.

I should also mention like the term Moor the term Berber soon included not just black groups in Africa later in time(14/15th century), for example like blackmoor, Somali Berber.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I seriously don't get why people are having a hard time coming to mind that the majority of slaves during the period of the Moors were Christian European slaves?

Because they were one of the top exports in the Islamic slave market. There were white slaves in the Islamic version,

It seems people have this idea that the ideal slaves were always of African descent throughout history, when in fact people of African descent only recently were enslaved in high rates.

No, the people back then had that idea. Breh, do you think racism began with euro cacs? This shyt goes back to Arabs translating all the classic works and Galen's description of Black Africans in Roman times. That idea was perpetuated through practice, fact is Black men faced the more brutal form of castration because of the sexual stigma attached to them, fact is the perception of Blacks became worse after the Zanj rebellion and influenced literature and ideas from then on.

European slaves were so common back then because Europe was not as developed as it was entering out of the dark ages or prior to the dark ages. And because of that Europeans were vulnerable prey for being enslaved. Also being that they were not Muslim. Meanwhile Africa through out that time was very developed. Which is why Sahalian Empires like Ghana and Mali did not have to expand similar to how China never had t expand. There were no slave raids on Africans of the Sahel and Sahalian kings did not need to participate in the slave trade due to their kingdom being so wealthy, but more importantly having a monopoly on the Trans Sahara Trade. People need to get this idea of blacks being the ideal slaves out of their head because it is only a recent thinking.

No disrespect, but you might want to go back to the drawing board on you're Medieval African history. Slavery and the slave trade has been a part of Africa for ages, it became more of an industry under the Muslims and later the Europeans. That underlined part made me chuckle, Arabs made sport of slave raids in those parts of Africa, especially at Bornu. Plus West African empires expanded quite a bit, doesn't change that they worked within the market that was dominated by Arab/Muslim influence. Why do you think the Malians adopted Islam like they did, they didn't just enthusiastically convert because for one they weren't that devout at first and for two there were still adherents of the old faiths.

Are you seriously trying to sweep shyt under the rug tho? I hope this is just a matter of not knowing cuz apologizing for those sand cac faggits for beginning the downfall of the continent is disgusting. I mean seriously, I named you an example of a group of Black African slaves in the Islamic world that rose up and took over their own shyt and were feared and respected. But we gotta big up Moors because they chopped off black men's shyt and made them glorified secretaries and administrators under the rule over another, or because they bought em and made them soldier slaves for the master's cause. Took away their indigenous culture and gave em sand cac culture just like Africans were taken to America and given euro cac culture. The only redeemable quality about Moorish society and Islamic slavery is that manumission was much easier to come by.

:patrice:

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
This is why I'm kinda :heh: when people call me mixed. My Dad's family is black, my Mom's family is from Corsica and Sicily, but my great grandparents on her side are said to be Moroccan. When I point this out, white people can't comprehend the fact that the Moors were black, and instead insist on calling me mixed.
Ever since Obama cacs have been trying to keep so called mixed black people in arms reach. Now, they just wait until you fukk up before they remind you what they really think about you.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
It is a myth and said to be by many historians in recent times. Here's another one.

index

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

They state their are no sources that point to a conquest.

They never fully conquered them, Ghana made a brief comeback but it wasn't the same since the Almoravids exploited the gold reserves. Your links ain't working btw.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@2Quik4UHoes

Because they were one of the top exports in the Islamic slave market. There were white slaves in the Islamic version.

Where is your proof that blacks more predominate as slaves during the period before the 19th century?

And how do you explain these sources?

The Middle Ages was clearly the age of the most common slaves of the previous Greco-Roman ecumenon, from central and eastern Europe, from where we get the term slave. Then: "Deprived of most of their sources of white slaves, the Ottomans turned more and more to Africa, which in the course of the nineteenth century came to provide the overwhelming majority of slaves used in Muslim countries from Morocco to Asia” (Lewis, 1990, Race and Slavery in the Middle East, p. 12)

"Except for the Zandj (black slaves) from lower Iraq, no large body of blacks historically linked to the trans-Saharan slave trade existed anywhere in the Arab world ... The high costs of slaves, because of the risks inherent in the desert crossing, which would have not permitted such a massive exodus ...In this connection, it is significant that in the Arabic iconography of the period, the slave merchant was often depicted as a man with a hole in his purse.Until the Crusades the Muslim world drew its slaves from two main sources: Eastern and Central Europe (Slavs) and Turkestan. The Sudan only came third. "Africa from the seventh to the eleventh century

Where is your evidence that counters this? I'm waiting.

No, the people back then had that idea. Breh, do you think racism began with euro cacs? This shyt goes back to Arabs translating all the classic works and Galen's description of Black Africans in Roman times. That idea was perpetuated through practice, fact is Black men faced the more brutal form of castration because of the sexual stigma attached to them, fact is the perception of Blacks became worse after the Zanj rebellion and influenced literature and ideas from then on.

I never said racism begun with Europeans. I wasn't speaking about racism at all, but the ideal that blacks were always the predominate slaves throughout time when that was never the case until recently.

West Africans also had Middle Eastern slaves. Slavery was not defined by race back then.

No disrespect, but you might want to go back to the drawing board on you're Medieval African history. Slavery and the slave trade has been a part of Africa for ages, it became more of an industry under the Muslims and later the Europeans.

Yet Sahelian kingdoms like Ghana and Mali never really relied on the slave trade. And of course slavery was practice in Africa prior to the Atlantic Slave Trade, but it wasn't large scale like what people like to make it out to be. Especially black slaves in the Trans Sahara Trade which I refuted time and time again. European being slaves was more of an industry for Muslims. European women were the most valued slaves. And I already showed this.

That underlined part made me chuckle, Arabs made sport of slave raids in those parts of Africa, especially at Bornu. Plus West African empires expanded quite a bit, doesn't change that they worked within the market that was dominated by Arab/Muslim influence.

If they were any slave raids near any Sahel kingdoms the raiders would have been crushed. Just ask the Portuguese who tried to slave raid near the Mali Kingdom. Slaves had to be BOUGHT. And also the Trans Sahara Trade was in no shape or form dominated by the Arabs/Middle Eastern not even nomadic Tuaregs who were masters of the Sahara. Berbers and Arabs were under the thumb of Sahelian rulers. The flow of trade and all the resources were DOMINATED by West Africans. They had a monopoly on the trade. Which is why I said they did not DEPEND on the slave trade. Unless you can show me sources of large scale Western Sudanic slaves being exported from kingdoms like Mali. I'll wait.

Why do you think the Malians adopted Islam like they did, they didn't just enthusiastically convert because for one they weren't that devout at first and for two there were still adherents of the old faiths.

Incorrect. Islam was bought down by Berbers through trade. There was no conquest and I already debunked that. Most of the elite of Ghana Empire was Muslim while the average joe was non Muslim. Islam did not come by force to West Africa until the 19th century by Fulani jihadist. There is no proof of Islam coming by force prior. And no disrespect but maybe its YOU that should go back to the drawing board of medieval African history.:ufdup:

Are you seriously trying to sweep shyt under the rug tho? I hope this is just a matter of not knowing cuz apologizing for those sand cac faggits for beginning the downfall of the continent is disgusting.

You're letting your dislike of Arabs/Middle Easterners cloud your judgement in this debate. No one is apologizing and no one is sweeping stuff under the rug. I'm simply looking for facts. You said that the Moors of North Africa enslaved blacks, I asked you for proof because I told you blacks were not a part of the Trans Sahara Slave trade which connected Upper West Africa-North Africa-Mediterranean. I also told you that European slaves were the predominate slaves.

I mean seriously, I named you an example of a group of Black African slaves in the Islamic world that rose up and took over their own shyt and were feared and respected.

Like I said you said Moors the had black slaves. And I said the Trans Sahara Trade did not include blacks until the 19th century long after the Moors. The Zanj black slaves were not linked to the TST and thus they were not linked to the Moors. You bought them up when they were not really apart of this topic. Yes Arabs did enslave them but before we were not talking about Arabs but the Moors.

But we gotta big up Moors because they chopped off black men's shyt and made them glorified secretaries and administrators under the rule over another, or because they bought em and made them soldier slaves for the master's cause. Took away their indigenous culture and gave em sand cac culture just like Africans were taken to America and given euro cac culture. The only redeemable quality about Moorish society and Islamic slavery is that manumission was much easier to come by.

Sources? Also can you explain how the Almoravids who came after still have an indigenous Berber culture and not an Arab one?

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
They never fully conquered them, Ghana made a brief comeback but it wasn't the same since the Almoravids exploited the gold reserves. Your links ain't working btw.

Because they didn't. Theres no historical sources that there was an Almoravid conquest of Ghana. Also the link works for me but heres something at @Don Drogo which touches base on the subject in more details.
http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdouga/Hist446/readings/conquest_in_west_african_historiography.pdf

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@KidStranglehold You know what, just read that book I linked. I ain't even gon do you like that. :laugh:

I have an idea what the book is about and I know Non Muslim blacks treated blacks slave terrible and still have black slaves. Theres no doubt about it. And I see the book mentioned slavery in Mauritania.

But none of this was the original topic/argument. You said the original black Moors had black slaves in high numbers and treated them badly IIRC, I wanted sources from you that says that is true. Since again prior to the 19th century you black slaves were linked to the Trans Sahara trade that linked West Africa-North Africa-Mediterranean. European slave on the other hand were apart WERE apart of the TST. Just clearing that this is the argument that I am trying to address...

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I have an idea what the book is about and I know Non Muslim blacks treated blacks slave terrible and still have black slaves. Theres no doubt about it. And I see the book mentioned slavery in Mauritania.

But none of this was the original topic/argument. You said the original black Moors had black slaves in high numbers and treated them badly IIRC, I wanted sources from you that says that is true. Since again prior to the 19th century you black slaves were linked to the Trans Sahara trade that linked West Africa-North Africa-Mediterranean. European slave on the other hand were apart WERE apart of the TST. Just clearing that this is the argument that I am trying to address...

No, the book discusses the slave societies of the Islamic world which includes Spain. You're mistaking "black moors" for the slave soldiers of Arab and Berber conquerors. There were some free blacks, but the reputation of the black slave made the sought after luxury items for the Moorish courts. I'm not suggesting they weren't in high level positions of society, I'm simply saying a good deal of them weren't free. Plus you're overstating the white slave presence in Moorish Spain, white slaves from that part of the world were particularly coveted throughout the entire Muslim world. You could only get those type of white slaves from that part of the world, so it was more profitable to export these white slaves rather than keeping a slew of them. There were white slaves in Moorish society yes I agree, this was true of the whole Islamic world, but there were also black slaves and the numbers gradually switched to being majority black.

As far as the Trans Saharan slave trade, if you don't believe that didn't exist by the time Islam penetrated the Sahara then I don't know what to tell you. The Arab Slave trade was much more than what you're giving it credit for. Arabs had rankings for different types of Africans in terms of their qualities as slaves, after the Zanj rebellion the West African was much more coveted and sought after which bolstered the Trans Saharan trade. Traders knew the different oases in the desert and took that in route to the different centers of the Islamic world. As for "hating" on arabs, I don't see what's nice about the part they played in the destruction of Africa.

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
No, the book discusses the slave societies of the Islamic world which includes Spain. You're mistaking "black moors" for the slave soldiers of Arab and Berber conquerors. There were some free blacks, but the reputation of the black slave made the sought after luxury items for the Moorish courts. I'm not suggesting they weren't in high level positions of society, I'm simply saying a good deal of them weren't free. Plus you're overstating the white slave presence in Moorish Spain, white slaves from that part of the world were particularly coveted throughout the entire Muslim world. You could only get those type of white slaves from that part of the world, so it was more profitable to export these white slaves rather than keeping a slew of them. There were white slaves in Moorish society yes I agree, this was true of the whole Islamic world, but there were also black slaves and the numbers gradually switched to being majority black.

As far as the Trans Saharan slave trade, if you don't believe that didn't exist by the time Islam penetrated the Sahara then I don't know what to tell you. The Arab Slave trade was much more than what you're giving it credit for. Arabs had rankings for different types of Africans in terms of their qualities as slaves, after the Zanj rebellion the West African was much more coveted and sought after which bolstered the Trans Saharan trade. Traders knew the different oases in the desert and took that in route to the different centers of the Islamic world. As for "hating" on arabs, I don't see what's nice about the part they played in the destruction of Africa.

@KidStranglehold and a few others didn't know there was such a thing as the Arab/Transahara slave trade till i told them about it month and a half ago in another thread..:comeon:they didn't believe it..they just knew about the TransAtlantic

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
No, the book discusses the slave societies of the Islamic world which includes Spain. You're mistaking "black moors" for the slave soldiers of Arab and Berber conquerors.
What!? The Black Moors WERE the Berbers. Why are you keep forgetting the sources I post which stated that the Masmuda Berbers who were black were the majority Berbers who invaded Europe? Also its seems you're trying differentiate Berbers from black when I told everyone that Berbers are not a homogenus group. And when mean black Moors, I'm talking about original Berbers who invaded Europe. Again original prior to the 14/15th century. Before that the word Moors was exclusive to black and there WERE NO non-black Berbers. Nobody has showed me otherwise. And again I asked for sources of these slave soldiers the original invading Berbers had.

All populations referred to as "Mauri", Moro" or "Moor" in Europe until the 15th century did share one thing in common though - a near black to extremely black complexion. In this era, Berber tribes were generally and almost exclusively referred to as black in the texts of Near Easterners and were considered to have obtained their color from a curse on their presumed ancestors Canaan or Ham.

Berbers and Moors

There were some free blacks, but the reputation of the black slave made the sought after luxury items for the Moorish courts. I'm not suggesting they weren't in high level positions of society, I'm simply saying a good deal of them weren't free.
Show me sources for these claims.

, “Army Regime and Society in Fatimid Egypt” (1987) wrote of Nasir Khusroes of the 11th century who speaks of the "20,000" Masmuda men that made up part of the Fatimid troops in Egypt in his time saying, “Masamida were Berbers from the Western Maghreb. Nasir-i Khusrau, however, says that they were blacks and characterized them as infantry who used lances and swords” (from International Journal of Middle East Studies, 19(3), 337-365).

The Masmuda or Masamida Berbers controlled the entirety of the western part of Maghreb or North West Africa between western Algeria and Morocco until the coming of another black population known as the Zanata Berbers of Botr, or El Abter stock. They also maintained power in many towns of Spain.
A Kel Owey girl, member of the Imakitan Tuaregs (formerly called Ikitamen) now located in Niger and are known in Arab texts as the KITAMA or KUTAMA Berbers and anciently as the "Mauri" or "Ethiopian" colored people called Uacutameni, Micatateni or Mactunia manus. Centuries ago, the "Kutama branch of the Berbers inhabited the region of Little Kabylia" in Northern Algeria. See UNESCO's Africa from the Seventh to the Eleventh Century, Ivan Hrbek et al., 1992, p. 164
Berbers and Moors

Did not read anything about them being enslaved soldiers. Again you're going to have to find me sources that shows this. I can name you many Berber tribes that were black and the majority Moors that invaded Europe.

1. Masmuda
  2. Kutama
  3. Zuwawa
  4. Zanata
  5. Sanhaja
  6. Nafzwa
  7. Massufa
  8. Gazula
  9. Lamtuna

All described as BLACK especially the Masmuda majority. I dare you or anyone else to name me a a Berber tribe prior to the 14/15th century that was non-black. I also dare you to find me a source stating these named Berber tribes were enslaved soldiers. I dare you...

Plus you're overstating the white slave presence in Moorish Spain, white slaves from that part of the world were particularly coveted throughout the entire Muslim world.
I'm not overstating anything when I posted sources that exactly proves my point. That the European slaves OUTNUMBERED the African slaves and African slaves only came very late during the 19th century which again was way after the Moors. Why
do you think I said modern day North African's mtDNA is mostly European? Becuse of slavery while their Y-DNA is mostly African. You people are overlooking this.

You could only get those type of white slaves from that part of the world, so it was more profitable to export these white slaves rather than keeping a slew of them. There were white slaves in Moorish society yes I agree, this was true of the whole Islamic world, but there were also black slaves and the numbers gradually switched to being majority black.
And when did I deny this??? I said a million times that the black slaves came LATER during the 19th century. Which again was long after the Moors which hurts your argument of Moors having a significant number of black slaves. Prior to the 19th century Europeans were still the predominate slaves, so much that it had an impact on modern day North African mtDNA. Their European female lineages is highter than their African one which shows that Europeans were the predominate slaves during that time.

Again for the millionith time the Trans Saharan trade was DIFFERENT from the Arab slave trade. The Arab slave trade was apart of the Indian ocean. The Trans Sahara Trade was CONTROLLED by West Africans whereas the Arab slave trade was dominated by Middle Easterns. I already cited you information even saying Middle Easterns COULDN'T cross the Sahara and so it was worth getting slaves from that area. No I'm not discrediting the Arab slave trade because I was NOT talking about it in the first place. You're the one that bought up the Zanj rebellion when I posted a sources that specifically stated the Zanj were not linked to the Trans Sahara Trade. This is not about liking or hating the Arabs but showing you that Africans were not apart of the Trans Sahara slave trade which was different from the Arab slave trade.

Arab slave trade:
indian-ocean-slavetrade.jpg

Trans Sahara slave trade:
Niger_saharan_medieval_trade_routes.PNG

The Moors were not apart of the Arab slave trade and nor were black slaves linked to the Trans Sahara slave trade.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@KidStranglehold and a few others didn't know there was such a thing as the Arab/Transahara slave trade till i told them about it month and a half ago in another thread..:comeon:they didn't believe it..they just knew about the TransAtlantic

Stop lying. I hate liars. I always knew and studied about the Trans Sahara trade since I've always studied Sahalian African kingdoms who dominated that trade(Ghana, Mali, Songhai). I had to correct you a million times that black slaves were not linked to the Trans Sahara trade until the 19th century. Also you have not even refuted what I posted on page 29. You're also the one that thinks its taboo that European slaves were the predominate slaves in the TST. Heck I doubt you even know that it was mostly gold, ivory and salt that were mainly being exported by those West African kingdoms and not slaves. I doubt you even know that West African blacks had a total monopoly on the trade and they controlled the worlds gold at that time. Sorry but you didn't tell me anything. Not even close. You also mistakenly keep thinking the Arab slave trade is synonymous with the Trans Sahara slave trade.

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
Stop lying. I hate liars. I always knew and studied about the Trans Sahara trade since I've always studied Sahalian African kingdoms who dominated that trade(Ghana, Mali, Songhai). I had to correct you a million times that black slaves were not linked to the Trans Sahara trade until the 19th century. Also you have not even refuted what I posted on page 29. You're also the one that thinks its taboo that European slaves were the predominate slaves in the TST. Heck I doubt you even know that it was mostly gold, ivory and salt that were mainly being exported by those West African kingdoms and not slaves. I doubt you even know that West African blacks had a total monopoly on the trade and they controlled the worlds gold at that time. Sorry but you didn't tell me anything. Not even close. You also mistakenly keep thinking the Arab slave trade is synonymous with the Trans Sahara slave trade.

It was in that Egyptian thread where you guys were talking about the Arabs being originally black,.

Arabs have been trading black slaves since the 7th century..that shyt didn't start in the 19th century

Here goes a book I have and read the first European explorer to reach Timbuktu and back and saw slaves traded along the routes ..