ESPN 30 for 30: O.J. Made In America Series [Discussion Thread]

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Breh if the regular person back in 1995 knew all of this back story about OJ thumbing his nose to the cause and then not even wanting to be identified as Black, we would have tossed him to the wolves just like we would Dash or Lemon if they got hemmed up. Everybody knew white wife and all that, but the common Black person didn't know OJ had sold out to this extreme. I certainly didn't and I remember the case vividly when it happened.
I'm white and young (turning 30) and remember this being purely black v white. Details definitely didn't seem to matter.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
Nah, you're out of your mind. We back our own regardless...especially against the police.
Glad to hear you got that kind of unconditional, blind love for black folk :myman: but I don't think everyone feels that way. :manny: You telling me you was empathetic for Samuel L. Jackson's character in Django Unchained just because he was black, though? :huhldup:

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
Glad to hear you got that kind of unconditional, blind love for black folk :myman: but I don't think everyone feels that way. :manny: You telling me you was empathetic for Samuel L. Jackson's character in Django Unchained just because he was black, though? :huhldup:

That's an extreme unrealistic example.

Bonafide

Pro
Daps
I hope that ol 'colorblind' "OJ had white features" cac dies of a heart attack tomorrow

My nikka, WTF was he even talking about?! I stated earlier in the thread that he pretty much said OJ was a white man. What the fukk were/are OJ's WHITE FEATURES?! Fukkin Cac insinuated that black people have unattractive features.

Bonafide

Pro
Daps
Real shyt, I was born in 81. So OJ's accomplishments on the field didnt REALLY hit me until my mid teens when I learned he hit 2000 yrds on 14 games. Before that, I knew dude from 1st&10, the HBO show. I didnt have a judgement on dude until the murders. I never watched that Naked Gun bullshyt, I just was told that he was a great rb. Thats all well and good, but from what Im seeing and hearing from his OWN mouth and people close to him, how could the Black community stand behind this dude. And Im talking bout b4 the murders took place. He was a monumental fugure for his people during a time where people, his people, were being killed, for speaking out against the obvious segregation and racism in this country. He had the platform to do more, and he did for self.
Check his peoples from early on, he broke mad codes, not just race but friend codes. The only Get-Outta-Jail free card I would give him is that he didnt have a father around to teach him moral aptitude. Besides that, I couldnt rock wit dude. He tried to gain that acceptance from "Them Folks" before its time. It caught up to him, thats all. Hopefully it aint a contonuous trend, but it aint lookin that way.

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
I was in high school when oj wife was murdered(I know :flabbynsick:) I vividly remember him fleeing the cops during the finals and nbc had that split screen with oj in the bronco on the freeway and the rockets vs knicks game and they were constantly reporting during game 5 :pacspit: and I remember the trial and the coverage was Huge black people were hyped and cacs were mad when the verdict was read

I remember oj from naked gun movies,nfl on nbc reporter etc and knew he played football at usc and for the bills I knew he was popular from back in the day.Last night I watched and was like :merchant: I didn't know he wasn't down for the cause and sold his soul to whitey.It was great episode I'm definitely anticipating part 2