Eric Bellinger Says Beyoncé Paved The Way For Artists To Get SongWriting Credits On Songs They Didn’t Write

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
I doubt it started with Beyonce
You're right

The practice dates back as far as the 5th century B.C., when scribes wrote material for royalty. And world leaders throughout history have relied on ghostwriters to present an amenable front to their constituents.

POP MUSIC WISE

The Supremes

The Supremes​

The Supremes left their lyrics in the hands of Motown writers like Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland (a.k.a. Holland-Dozier-Holland). This trio penned hits like the 1965 single "Stop! In the Name of Love", and 1964’s "Baby Love" and "Where Did Our Love Go?," all of which peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. "Where Did Our Love Go?" was originally for The Marvelettes, "who refused to do it," Dozier said in a 2003 interview. Though The Supremes "felt like they were getting leftovers" they yielded a hit. After being deemed the first group to earn three Billboard No. 1 singles from one album, the song didn't look so unappetizing after all.

Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra​

While Frank Sinatra provided timelessly gliding vocals, he had songwriters like Charles Singleton, Eddie Snyder and Bart Howard to tackle his lyrics. Singleton and Snyder's 1966 "Strangers in the Night" peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart while Howard's 1964 "Fly Me to the Moon" hit No.14. Howard stuck to his guns and ignored one publisher's advice to change the lyrics to "take me to the moon". "Had I done that," he told The New York Times in 1988, "I don't know where I'd be today."

Elvis Presley

Elvis Presley​

Presley took care of the hip-gyrating and smooth vocals while songwriters like Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller covered the swoon-inducing lyrics of tracks like 1968 single "Jailhouse Rock" and 1969’s "Hound Dog." “I didn’t like the way he did it,” Leiber admitted about Presley's "Hound Dog" rendition (which was originally written for blues singer Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thorton) in the autobiography Hound Dog: The Leiber and Stoller Collection. “The song isn’t about a dog, it’s about a man, a freeloading gigolo." Stoller was of the same sentiment, but "after [the song] sold seven or eight million copies it began to sound better," he joked.

^^
The earliest examples of musicians hiring ghostwriters to make hit songs

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s not ghostwriting. Ghostwriters get paid a fee to write lyrics and are not credited as a song writer for the song. That’s what makes them a ghostwriter. The artist performing the lyrics gets full credit as the writer.

Eric bellinger is referring to the artist performing the song being so renowned that they demand the writer gives them a percentage of their songwriting credits.

Imagine an artist like Kendrick Lamar requiring the producer of a beat to give him a percentage of his production credit because he’s Kendrick Lamar and a placement on his album is that good of a look. If it were a regular artist it wouldn’t work but for a artist of Beyoncé caliber the money you would make from being a credited writer on her album is worth giving up a percentage of the credits.

Oooh ok thanks for explaining i was confused. I get it from beyonce’s business side. She want a cut of the residuals for when she too old to be out here like these legacy artists doing them WBLS throwback concerts for a check

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're right

The practice dates back as far as the 5th century B.C., when scribes wrote material for royalty. And world leaders throughout history have relied on ghostwriters to present an amenable front to their constituents.

POP MUSIC WISE

The Supremes

The Supremes​

The Supremes left their lyrics in the hands of Motown writers like Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland (a.k.a. Holland-Dozier-Holland). This trio penned hits like the 1965 single "Stop! In the Name of Love", and 1964’s "Baby Love" and "Where Did Our Love Go?," all of which peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. "Where Did Our Love Go?" was originally for The Marvelettes, "who refused to do it," Dozier said in a 2003 interview. Though The Supremes "felt like they were getting leftovers" they yielded a hit. After being deemed the first group to earn three Billboard No. 1 singles from one album, the song didn't look so unappetizing after all.

Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra​

While Frank Sinatra provided timelessly gliding vocals, he had songwriters like Charles Singleton, Eddie Snyder and Bart Howard to tackle his lyrics. Singleton and Snyder's 1966 "Strangers in the Night" peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart while Howard's 1964 "Fly Me to the Moon" hit No.14. Howard stuck to his guns and ignored one publisher's advice to change the lyrics to "take me to the moon". "Had I done that," he told The New York Times in 1988, "I don't know where I'd be today."

Elvis Presley

Elvis Presley​

Presley took care of the hip-gyrating and smooth vocals while songwriters like Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller covered the swoon-inducing lyrics of tracks like 1968 single "Jailhouse Rock" and 1969’s "Hound Dog." “I didn’t like the way he did it,” Leiber admitted about Presley's "Hound Dog" rendition (which was originally written for blues singer Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thorton) in the autobiography Hound Dog: The Leiber and Stoller Collection. “The song isn’t about a dog, it’s about a man, a freeloading gigolo." Stoller was of the same sentiment, but "after [the song] sold seven or eight million copies it began to sound better," he joked.

^^
The earliest examples of musicians hiring ghostwriters to make hit songs

This issue is not about ghost writing

Kratos7

Rookie
Daps
I knew I saw a video of him talking about his creative process with Beyoncé .

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
See how you singled her out and added some vitriol to it instead of attributing it to a standard business practice........there's your answer

on page on 1 I said the below, so you tell me how you want to proceed?
I don't think Beyonce started it as such but she for sure engages in something that is a common practice

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i think it started with janet, madonna, and mariah (to an extent) because i don't think they were writing like that
the producers would use some of their ideas/experiences in certain instances
in other instances, i'm sure some of the legendary producers/songwriters they worked with didn't need help

Goes back further than that. White Jewish record executives were getting credit for songs they had no hand in writing. David Chase touched on it in the Sopranos (1:30 mark):

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Well for one he chose a black woman, possibly the biggest name to make a moot point that everybody that actually cared already knows about so it's fukk whatever he saying after that to be honest. Whatever he is talking about is anything but clear because he put some chatty patty shyt out without explaining what the deal actually is.......if he wasn't writing for her why even bring her name into it? We know why he did it and I respect him less for it

People love to shyt on Beyonce.

Pure Jealousy.
:laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: