Eminem - The Death of Slim Shady Official Thread

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Really? I listened to it out of boredom while working and I really can't differ it from his last 4 releases. He has some good flows on some of these tracks, no lie but overall musically it's pretty mid if not below mid.

This album is night and day with those other albums.

I rank it right under Relapse quality wise, though that's my favorite Em album to listen to.

It’s weird because I almost feel like I don’t want to like it.

Unlike Relapse this doesn’t feel cathartic. It wasn’t a purge of darkness, it’s an indulgence, one that’s not full hearted. More than ever the concept spells out that this persona isn't just an excuse to say fukked up shyt, it's an embodiment of his drug addiction.

With that in mind I almost feel guilty for enjoying it. Going back to Encore and the cover art, hearing him already talk about burn out and retirement on TES only to have to give MORE to when he clearly wanted a break showed you that it was out of his hands back then, even more so now.

With Relapse it was more like therapy, for me at least. This was more like seeing one of my friends that I used to turn up and get high with in my 20's who's sober now decide to hit the weed or take a drink for my sake, like a lot of addicts who get clean and feel like they're no longer any fun to all the people who know that drug fuled, fun side of them.

Not to mention the hint of mystery that the album leaves you with. I can't imagine talking about any of his last 4 albums like this.

Last edited:

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali

I rank it right under Relapse quality wise, though that's my favorite Em album to listen to.

Unlike Relapse this doesn’t feel cathartic. It wasn’t a purge of darkness, it’s an indulgence, one that’s not full hearted. More than ever the concept spells out that this persona isn't just an excuse to say fukked up shyt, it's an embodiment of his drug addiction.

With that in mind I almost feel guilty for enjoying it. Going back to Encore and the cover art, hearing him already talk about burn out and retirement on TES only to have to give MORE to when he clearly wanted a break showed you that it was out of his hands back then, even more so now.

With Relapse it was more like therapy, for me at least. This was more like seeing one of my friends that I used to turn up and get high with in my 20's who's sober now decide to hit the weed or take a drink for my sake, like a lot of addicts who get clean and feel like they're no longer any fun to all the people who know that drug fuled, fun side of them.

Not to mention the hint of mystery that the album leaves you with. I can't imagine talking about any of his last 4 albums like this.
Thats the best way to describe that album. I hold “Relapse” near and deal to me as a fan because at that point it was 4 years since we’ve heard from him. And he brought back a version of the Slim Shady character that I’ve always wanted. On top of that he was rapping at a very high caliber. It was everything I wanted :to:

But…I can understand why it was too much for every one else. As much as I loved that album, even I have to admit he went overboard with the serial killer theme, and it would be a little too much for the average listener.

Another album as a fan that I very much appreciated was MMLP2. Just for the fact he was revisiting that subject matter from a different point of view. However, I feel Em didn’t really capture that balance of the atmosphere of its predecessor and his mind set in the present.

I feel “The Death Of Slim Shady” was the sound and balance he was trying to capture on “Relapse” and MMLP2. You get a combination of all the versions of Em we like and he fused all into this one album.

The more I’ve listened to it the more i appreciate it from a fan stand point who has followed him his whole career.

Last edited:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
after listening it to some more, I fukks with a handful of songs which makes this album his 4th best one behind, SSLP, MMLP, and TES. Most definitely better than the retarded ass albums he been dropping since.

still, we need an album with his flow from Renaissance.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

I actually feel the opposite of the album. This sounds like the album eminem was trying to make with relapse.

Relapse was supposed to be him bringing back that wacky "slim shady" persona, but I don't think it worked. He sounded more like Jeffery Dahmer than slim shady on relapse, the lyrics were more disturbing than funny. The best songs were the Marshall songs, where he was rapping about personal shyt.

This album sounds like eminem understands what slim shady is supposed to be like.

Relapse is still the best production he's ever had tho.

CourtesyFlush

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually feel the opposite of the album. This sounds like the album eminem was trying to make with relapse.

Relapse was supposed to be him bringing back that wacky "slim shady" persona, but I don't think it worked. He sounded more like Jeffery Dahmer than slim shady on relapse, the lyrics were more disturbing than funny. The best songs were the Marshall songs, where he was rapping about personal shyt.

This album sounds like eminem understands what slim shady is supposed to be like.

Agree 100%

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

I don't disagree with this, but it's also the reason it feels decidely less earnest.

For the film room heads, the beast took the light out of neccesity on Relapse. Marshall the person was broken, he actually really needed that buffer at that time period and it came off more disutrbing than funny because he was really fresh out of a legit disturbing time. As I said, a purge of darkness vs an indulgence.

Just becuase you get clean doesn't mean you stop being an addict, that part of you is still with you so he's obviously still struggling but it feels more performative, which isn't a bad thing. But summoning your shadow to fight against 'cancel culture' hits more like a late sequel to a movie you love that turned out better than you expected.

This is Eminem's "American Gangsta", IMO.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don't disagree with this, but it's also the reason it feels decidely less earnest.

For the film room heads, the beast took the light out of neccesity on Relapse. Marshall the person was broken, he actually really needed that buffer at that time period and it came off more disutrbing than funny because he was really fresh out of a legit disturbing time. As I said, a purge of darkness vs an indulgence.

Just becuase you get clean doesn't mean you stop being an addict, that part of you is still with you so he's obviously still struggling but it feels more performative, which isn't a bad thing. But summoning your shadow to fight against 'cancel culture' hits more like a late sequel to a movie you love that turned out better than you expected.

Relapse felt like he was trying to tap into that persona without the reliance of drugs, and coming across as a deeply disturbed individual instead. I don't know if that was his intent.

This feels like he's figured out how to tap into that persona without drugs. It does feel like a late sequel that turned out good, but it's like a good sequel after so many duds you've written the series off.

Phantom Dreamer

All Star
Daps

it's crazy you said this, as this is what i thought the other day while listening.

both use a story or concept as a reason to go 'back to their roots' , but basically do more of what they've always been doing, except in these instances, they try to be more narrative driven.

and in IMO, with this album, he's corrected or improved on a lot of the shyt i've hated since Recovery. Em without all the yelling and back to a more fluid flow is so much better. Also, not many pop attempts. Some of the wordplay is still:beli:

but still leagues ahead of Recovery and there are some legit :bryan:
moments like pre MMLP Em.

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just listened to this from start to finish....

Let me start off by saying I haven't fukked with Em since mmlp... didn't even care for the eminem show and everything since has been ignored but this project....

He killed this shyt. KILLED it. Even houdini which I didn't think was a great lead single makes sense within the track listing. Easily one of the best albums of the year, easily