Albums Eminem - REVIVAL (Discussion Thread)

Phantom Dreamer

All Star
Daps
Still haven't listened to the album but....a Nas or Jay caliber emcee needs to stop being scared and shyt all over this dude :scusthov:

He's touted himself as this sleeping giant for so long :shaq2:. He needs to hear all of these criticisms in the form of insidious verbal assaults :pacspit: by someone relevant enough to really bruise his ego :obama:.

And I say this as a fan, can't defend the BS anymore :hubie:

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
Oh I know. But when you're an artist, you're never truly retired.

I would bet my life that Buddens releases an album or at least an EP within the next 5 years.

:manny:
Yeah, I actually think he will have something out next year. It's just funny how he like likes to point it out all the time on ES.

altruicsense

Lord of the 7 Kingdoms
Daps
Reppin
Westeros
My beef with this album is there aren't enough songs like Heat on there. I wanna hear him rap about dumb bullshyt like stalking some woman and blacking out and killing her. I don't wanna hear him rap about his daughter and his ex-wife and struggles. He's not a serious rapper so he needs to quit trying to be taken seriously. My favorite songs by him are more inline with Stay Wide Awake and Rain Man rather than Walk on Water or Bad Husband.
:dahell:

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
Encore, Relapse, and Recovery weren’t horrible to me. Just bad. Especially Encore.
If you don't think Encore is a terrible album your'e buggin breh. I Could make make an argument for a handful of his albums being trash but some of that would be based off preference, however, when you have tracks like Puke, My 1st Single, Rainman, Big Weenie, Just Lose It, Ass Like That and Crazy In love on the same album how can you classify it as anything but terrible? To be honest he shoulda been laughed outta hip hop completely after this album.

Nicely

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Worcester, MA
If you don't think Encore is a terrible album your'e buggin breh. I Could make make an argument for a handful of his albums being trash but some of that would be based off preference, however, when you have tracks like Puke, My 1st Single, Rainman, Big Weenie, Just Lose It, Ass Like That and Crazy In love on the same album how can you classify it as anything but terrible? To be honest he shoulda been laughed outta hip hop completely after this album.
Encore was pretty horrible to be honest. I’m tired of making excuses. Real talk.

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
This review :to:
It is at this moment I realised I entirely misinterpreted "Walk on Water". It is a statement of intent, but the statement does not promise a return to his earlier work. Instead, it states that his newer style is what he wants to do. He is stating that the work that made him famous also damaged his family, something he apologises for repeatedly throughout this album. The work that made him famous took him to drug addiction, depression, and near death. Revival was not intended as a return to his previous heights, but as an embrace of his current artistry and a relieving of the crushing pressure to recreate past successes. It ends with Em flushing his medication down the toilet, a symbolic rejection of his past self. These overarching themes are laudable, and it's great that Eminem is atoning for past mistakes and comfortable enough to make what he wants to make.

But unfortunately, the album closing on a flushing toilet is the most fitting moment of all, because all this thematic depth means nothing to the listener when the music is as unpleasant, uncomfortable, and downright bad as it is on Revival.