Albums Eminem - REVIVAL (Discussion Thread)

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Encore is not that awful in hindsight. Records like Evil Deeds, Never Enough, Yellow Brick Road, Spend Some Time, Mockingbird were much better than anything on here

Even the troll records like Big Weenie, Ass Like That and Rain Man were listenable because he still had some edge, a great flow and Dre on the boards...

facebook

Rookie
Daps
I don't know how mmlp2 was received here but like this more than mmlp2. Not saying much tho.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I wrote up this whole track by track review that I lost (and forgot to save) so I'll just say this. Revival is one of the worst albums I've ever heard from any artist. This is a glorified top 40 pop/rock album that sounds like what would happen if Cimorelli or One Direction or AC/DC started to rap. It's surrounded by awful punchlines that sound like Lil Wayne or Nicki Minaj, terrible singing, off-beat flows, annoying delivery, and content that comes off as constant rambling. His screaming is like nails on a chalkboard. The social commentary sticks out like a sore thumb. His attempts to appeal to today's rap audience fall flat. Songs like "Remind Me" and "Offended" are among the worst songs he's ever made. He gets outshined by the singers on his hooks multiple times, especially on "River." "Walk on Water" is actually one of the best songs here by default. Rick Rubin and Skylar Grey are both poison to Eminem at this point. Half the album doesn't even sound like something Eminem would make. I don't know what he was going for here or what the direction was supposed to be, but if this was his last album, thank God.

1/5 stars

BEST TRACKS: Castle, Arose, Walk on Water (the only songs here worth listening to)

WORST TRACKS: Offended, Heat, Remind Me, Like Home, Framed, Chloraseptic

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I wrote up this whole track by track review that I lost (and forgot to save) so I'll just say this. Revival is one of the worst albums I've ever heard from any artist. This is a glorified top 40 pop/rock album that sounds like what would happen if Cimorelli or One Direction or AC/DC started to rap. It's surrounded by awful punchlines that sound like Lil Wayne or Nicki Minaj, terrible singing, off-beat flows, annoying delivery, and content that comes off as constant rambling. His screaming is like nails on a chalkboard. The social commentary sticks out like a sore thumb. His attempts to appeal to today's rap audience fall flat. Songs like "Remind Me" and "Offended" are among the worst songs he's ever made. He gets outshined by the singers on his hooks multiple times, especially on "River." "Walk on Water" is actually one of the best songs here by default. Rick Rubin and Skylar Grey are both poison to Eminem at this point. Half the album doesn't even sound like something Eminem would make. I don't know what he was going for here or what the direction was supposed to be, but if this was his last album, thank God.

1/5 stars

BEST TRACKS: Castle, Arose, Walk on Water (the only songs here worth listening to)

WORST TRACKS: Offended, Heat, Remind Me, Like Home, Framed, Chloraseptic

The part about Rubin and Grey is all FACTS, but Framed and Offended are the best songs on the album from a rap standpoint. Especially Offended. His writing and MCing on there was crazy, besides any goofy punchlines.

Suge Knight

MOB
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Federal Prison
Why does everyone keep saying this?

Em is basically a hermit who stays at his house all the time. For Alc to work with Em, Em has to fly out to LA cuz Alc works on his own terms. It’s not as if Alc has all these beats set aside for Em and he’s rejecting them.
Its truth, you have one of the baddest producers just being a dj for you.

It would be like having Dj Premier being a weed carrier

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The part about Rubin and Grey is all FACTS, but Framed and Offended are the best songs on the album from a rap standpoint. Especially Offended. His writing and MCing on there was crazy, besides any goofy punchlines.

I thought "Framed" was a really :flabbynsick:attempt to recapture the glory days and everything he did on that song, he did better on Relapse. "Offended" was like almost every single problem that Eminem's music has now wrapped up in one song: Corny punchlines, terrible delivery, screaming, off-beat flow, a stupid hook, and a beat that I'm pretty sure he didn't even write to. It was like the "No Favors" verse on steroids.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I'm
I thought "Framed" was a really :flabbynsick:attempt to recapture the glory days and everything he did on that song, he did better on Relapse. "Offended" was like almost every single problem that Eminem's music has now wrapped up in one song: Corny punchlines, terrible delivery, screaming, off-beat flow, a stupid hook, and a beat that I'm pretty sure he didn't even write to. It was like the "No Favors" verse on steroids.
Not debating the musicality (or lack thereof), but he got his life as far as spitting on those. Framed does sound like a Relapse throwaway, but it's better than most of the rest of the album rap skill wise. I enjoyed Offended, besides the hook. I guess I'm looking at it a different way.

Killalex

Hov did it so you don't have to
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDE
Thought it was just Coli Eminem hate but nah, this is album is fukking terrible. It's almost unlistenable.
Eminem screaming his awkward stutter flow on shyt beats. All the rock beats by Rubin were ass and the pop stuff was even more generic than usual.
Easily his worst album.
Good songs: Castle ( TES vibes with no stutter flow) Framed (Sounds like a Relapse era song) Walk on Water (says a lot this is a highlight.)

Score: 2/10

MouseTeeth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I'm on track 12. I'll post a complete review when I'm done with the album

I'll say this though, as someone that has had Em in my top 5, so far this is trash. Like trash. Even Encore had some joints

His biggest problem: HIS VOICE. He lost it. I dont know how to describe it but the edge he had in his voice during MMLP and Em Show is gone. He sounds completely different (worse)

This ...his voice sounds different and its jarring to listen to

MouseTeeth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens
So em is like,

yo i wanna make a straight up hip hop album, wanna get Nas, Jay, Ye and make straight bangers...

Label: :whoa: we were thinking maybe we go a different route...what u think about working with.....Pink?:smugdraper:

Em: uh.....yeah....ok.

Label: don't worry em, u know u our favorite whiteboy right. Next time u can work with some of the blacks u like. But we have a quota to hit. Skyler Grey is in the studio right now, she has some awesome ideas. Now run along we have money we need to count.:win:

In all seriousness, I've heard through reputable sources that eminem actually has full creative control...which perplexes me even more

most times, giving an artist full control is a BAD thing

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hard to stay inspired when the record label has you by the balls and you have to meet a sales quota.Eminem brings out an album,he has to follow the label agenda.

:dwillhuh:

outside of a lead single, on what planet is anyone telling Eminem (the last rapper alive moving units like people can't stream music) what to put on an album?

have u not been paying attention to some of the outright :wtf: music this man has dropped after The Eminem Show?

face facts. he cut himself off from the game, he fell in love with the art of technical MC'ing, he ran out of ideas, and he fell off. happens to the best of them. just usually not this drastic.