Elden Ring is Game of The Generation- 98 Metacritic

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
What? Edge reviews don’t even come out when games come out. People only look to them because their harsh critics, people actually base their purchasing decisions on ign and gamespot.

Agree to disagree.

The game forums I follow, an Edge 9 means more than an Ign 10.

Edge is known to use the entire 10 point scale.

Gamespot? Maybe but again, Edge and Eurogamer carry more clout I think.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Until Sony starts reinvesting in Japanese development inhouse, it's gonna keep happening.

Notice a majority of the reviews name dropping Botw?

Japanese game design is nearly above and beyond when they're inspired.
Western design trends towards iteration and standardization.

What other japanese dev or publisher outside of nintendo is getting 90s on metacritic? Ragnarok and the next Naughty Dog game are the the next game to land in the 90’s, not a japanese game

Miyazaki is one of a kind. Not even Capcom and Square enix can get into the 90’s anymore

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I mean we're in year 2. Time will tell on that.

It’s already solidified
Agree to disagree.

The game forums I follow, an Edge 9 means more than an Ign 10.

Edge is known to use the entire 10 point scale.

Gamespot? Maybe but again, Edge and Eurogamer carry more clout I think.

The consensus on a game has long been made before Edge reviews come out.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The BOTW comparisons having me willing to dig in.

a lot of folks (even in the gaming media) make that comparison “recklessly” tho…I was playing BOTW a little bit this morning and the feeling of exploration created by the ability to interact with everything is unparalleled…I really hope the comparisons are well-warranted…simply just having pretty looking wide-open spaces isn’t enough

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
What other japanese dev or publisher outside of nintendo is getting 90s on metacritic? Ragnarok and the next Naughty Dog game are the the next game to land in the 90’s, not a japanese game

Miyazaki is one of a kind. Not even Capcom and Square enix can get into the 90’s anymore

Sony had their own inhouse genius and they lost him.

Ueda imo was the best thing to happen to Sony and very little of what they currently make shows any of his dna.

As to the others, Capcom would be my bet to make a shaker ip eventually, just because their successes will likely embolden them to do so.

Square though?

You're correct.

Their game design is just not there currently + the Eidos fumblings means they'll double down on what works, ie more FF + FF7 spinoffs.

Konami is a shadow of what they used to be.

It'll either be From/Nintendo/Capcom or another upstart developer will kick in doors with breakthrough game design.

Or someone from eastern Europe. Their games tend to be innovative but buggy/glitchy.

They ever fix that, they'll top open/metacritic.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
For any major company interested in buying FromSoftware
ZVG4u6x6s_pLhtAYMWjkejLEUJko9uEoBOEkXBTsqVg.png

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
a lot of folks (even in the gaming media) make that comparison “recklessly” tho…I was playing BOTW a little bit this morning and the feeling of exploration created by the ability to interact with everything is unparalleled…I really hope the comparisons are well-warranted

People might be pissy later when it comes to the Botw comparisons.

If people understand that they're primarily referring to organic exploration and absent handholding they'll be fine but if they're missing that it's not a sandbox they'll be hot.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I personally don’t like soul games though. They all seem the same to me, down to the clunkiness of the controls. I never understood the hype. I feel like people love the previous games because they seemed difficult, and wanted bragging rights for beating a seemingly difficult game. This looks like the other souls games but with horses, and with GRRM overseeing the writing. BUT, i know not to judge any game before playing it first.
I felt that way about the original Demon's Souls. It felt like the entire appeal of the game was it being difficult and people boasting about beating tough bosses.

The gatekeeping of the Soulslike community is worse than the gatekeeping of the Trails JRPG series (you must play every single game in the Trails series before you play this recent one vs these games should never have any difficulty level settings). I feel like the hallmark of the truly great games this is getting compared to is the ability to appeal to people outside the typical demographic. Again I usually like structured games with fixed stories and tend to lose interest in open world games but I played Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild for over 60 hours each and loved each of them completing both main stories.

Going back to Trails games I love them but you gotta really be a diehard turn based JRPG fan to get into them. If you aren't you'll bounce off those games hard. If somebody asked me for a recommendation I'd lead with that. Now Final Fantasy VII I don't even think you need to be heavy into turned based JRPGs to like that game. Same with Chrono Trigger.

I feel like with Elden Ring this is the Soulslike community trying to drop all the disclaimers and lead these into some level of mass appeal to people who don't really care for the formula. I mean it's been 13 years so I'll buy and try this but this game seems like it's a 97-98 "If you like that style of game" vs something anybody will pick up and play with no ties to Soulslikes and instantly recognize the value of. Then again I haven't played it so that's yet to be seen.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Same thing in debating i already got forbidden west on the 5 I dont wanna put this on there also...prob get it on series x...but I got more space on ps5 :ohhh:

i got more space on the X. But I like the dualsense a bit more. It comes down to performance for me. fukk nothing really definitive out there right now