peterock_source592.jpg

gza_source1295.jpg

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Maaaannnnn. :salute: :salute: :salute: @mobbinfms

So many good, great, classic albums... from various artists with different styles, East, West, South, Midwest... and various ratings- 3.5s, 4s. 4.5s... lowest ratings being for Lord Finesse and Smif n Wessun tho... :lupe:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
That first paragraph of the Outkast review... :russ:

But at that point in '94, with the exception of Rap-a-Lot... kinda true!

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No white flag to wave. I stated my perspective all up and thru the thread.

What do you want me to say about Doggystyle? That I didn't agree? Been said it. Said I was expecting 4.5 (not 5 but only because I'd never seen an album get one at that point, but 4.5 pretty much meant it was THE shyt). As a matter of fact, I was sure it would get a 4.5 cause they had spent the whole year hyping Snoop... which to me probably affected the rating because they were treating it like it was gonna be the greatest album of the whole existence of hip-hop. I didn't even agree with the review. But that's what opinions are for. Just cause I didn't mind that Snoop only flew solo for half the album, doesn't mean others woulda rather heard him rock more songs by himself.

The words favortism and bias just imply that artists' albums were being judged on things other than how good they felt the albums were. Native Tongues put out a lotta good shyt around that time, what you want 'em to do, say it's NOT good? I'm not sayin' *I* would give Tribe's first joint a 5... 4, 4.5... honestly I was surprised Midnight Marauders only got a 4. But to say there was favortism would negate the fact that the Jungle Bros., Latifah, Chi-Ali, and Monie Love all made average albums and got average ratings to match. So... is it because of favortism, or were Tribe and De La on a streak of quality albums in the early-90s? I say the latter, but maybe that's not your thing.

what i want you to say about doggystyle is, i want you to give me an album of equal standing of the critics' preference that got equal treatment. THATS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT. and you cant. so i'll do it for you. ILLMATIC is its counterpart. doggystyle got 4, but illmatic got 5.

who said native tongues is not my thing? i listen to everything. but lesbianest, all those tribe & de la joints were not THAT serious. they didnt have to get classic status for all those joints. its clearly a preference bias there.