Ed Reed, Fired before he's hired.. Out at Bethune Cookman

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Now the SWAC commissioner is being sued :huhldup:

Par the course, which is what I've told folks for the longest.

I remember when everyone was on that black kids should go to HBCU kick and I said HBCU's take advantage of black kids the same way the PWIs do, pay players out right, screw loyalty to HBCUs and was called an agent.

I went to a HBCU, I've interacted with other HBCUs on the academic tip, they are largely poorly run and use racial pride as a shield for actual accountability for their poor administration, on top of largely being puppets for white liberal money.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I do believe many of them would but when you have a school like this who refuses to be transparent, it turns people off. If Shaq or anybody wanted to donate $5 million, he should be able to say where he wants it to go, and then see the trail for it.

The BOT wants every dollar to go through them first and they’re free to do what they want with it because there’s no accounting after that. No philanthropist is going to accept that type of BS.

If regular alumni doesn’t trust them enough to send $100, no high net worth individual is going to trust them with $1 million. Only their big sponsors like Disney can afford to give money and not care what happens to it afterwards.
Who says that they can't? Rich people do it all the time and then jack the money back from the entity doesn't follow through. Garth Brooks did it years ago with a hospital that flaked on building a hospital in his mothers name.

This notion that rich people can't and aren't dictating where their money goes is laughable and if that's the case, then it speaks to the same wasteful American spending that people complain about the HBCU's doing.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Who says that they can't? Rich people do it all the time and then jack the money back from the entity doesn't follow through. Garth Brooks did it years ago with a hospital that flaked on building a hospital in his mothers name.

This notion that rich people can't and aren't dictating where their money goes is laughable and if that's the case, then it speaks to the same wasteful American spending that people complain about the HBCU's doing.
its different because we're dealing with a narrow block of this economic pie. there are a lot more garth brookss out there that see value in investing in a university than on our side of things.

and if they want more alumni, then they need to create more alumni - not a giant, disconnected and resentful list of former students with outrageous loans to beat them down years after the fact. so many schools scream to invest in them when they can't be bothered to invest in their own incoming freshmen man.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

I’m not saying he can’t, but given the track record of the BOT, he wouldn’t even want to try in the first place. The only way it would is if you get a big name in a position of authority, like Deion at JCSU.

Shaq was going to do it on behalf of Ed Reed because he knows him and trusts him to get the job done, and that is what spooked the Board of Trustees. Having someone there who is going to continually ask where is the money going.

People look at philanthropy as something that should be low stress and high reward. If you have to chase people down and continuously fight to see where your money went, it’s not worth it. That’s why the BCU Alumni association is advocating donors create their own scholarships and give directly to students so you know where your money is going

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
its different because we're dealing with a narrow block of this economic pie. there are a lot more garth brookss out there that see value in investing in a university than on our side of things.

and if they want more alumni, then they need to create more alumni - not a giant, disconnected and resentful list of former students with outrageous loans to beat them down years after the fact. so many schools scream to invest in them when they can't be bothered to invest in their own incoming freshmen man.
That requires money and resources to do that. Let’s not sit here and pretend like these states aren’t allocating money and resources to these PWI (I went to one) at the expense of the HBUCU’s. You can apply that same concept to public schools and even towns. You can look the city of Jackson as an example of that.

As I will say again, these PWI got the same money mismanagement issues that the HBCU’s do, they just have the money and resources to cover it up. Money mismanagement isn’t just an HBCU issue as The Coli likes to insist.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
That requires money and resources to do that. Let’s not sit here and pretend like these states aren’t allocating money and resources to these PWI (I went to one) at the expense of the HBUCU’s. You can apply that same concept to public schools and even towns. You can look the city of Jackson as an example of that.

As I will say again, these PWI got the same money mismanagement issues that the HBCU’s do, they just have the money and resources to cover it up. Money mismanagement isn’t just an HBCU issue as The Coli likes to insist.
So because PWIs have money mismanagement its okaky for HBCUs to have them too and if you say HBCUs need to do better and be accountable thats racist?

Make it make sense?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So because PWIs have money mismanagement its okaky for HBCUs to have them too and if you say HBCUs need to do better and be accountable thats racist?

Make it make sense?
The whole college system is broken and needs to be audited is my point. Whose going to do it though when the states and it's leaders are in cahoots with the Universities as well?

That's the real reason why there's no rush to fix these issues. It all comes down to money and college students are bearing the brunt of it.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

:mjtf:

no - it takes accountability worthy of the magnitude of the investment

and consistently showing your unable to handle it creates a narrative that has to be broken before trust can even take root again. accountability should be the easiest part of this but its the biggest taboo to highlight it. even now with shyt mid-fan.

and that's the other problem. "white colleges get away with it" its not an excuse to have your own books jacked up, to fail your faculty/students/alumni, and for the cost of a substandard educational experience to balloon with the main advantage being the culture. if you need to trim the fat here and there to make sure your entity makes sense to potential donors, it needs to happen. it doesn't need to be a contest in how much you can burry under the rug or how hard you can finger point.

the only reason Howard of all schools got its shyt together was because of national attention and DC proper telling the school directly that it needs to literally provide housing to their students that paid for it lol....

people who ain't even been to HBCUs saying what HBCUs need to do is the weirdest shyt to me
The whole college system is broken and needs to be audited is my point. Whose going to do it though when the states and it's leaders are in cahoots with the Universities as well?

That's the real reason why there's no rush to fix these issues. It all comes down to money and college students are bearing the brunt of it.
is the purpose to elevate black students or not? because being just like white colleges was never the goal

kids are coming out WORSE than their peers if they're lucky :dead:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

lol, the whole college system isn't broken because there is no single college system
You have private, you have state, you have for-profit and etc.

You are trying to deflect to the argument of it being systemic, when the reality is its a matter of accountability, and lack thereof, when you see it and it should be addressed as its found.

Now yeah it could be fixed by a top down org, it could be, or it could be fixed even quicker from the bottom up by the customer.

Stop attending schools like this, massively withdraw, for the sake of their own existance they will be forced to improve and if not nothing of value is lost.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
lol, the whole college system isn't broken because there is no single college system
You have private, you have state, you have for-profit and etc.

You are trying to deflect to the argument of it being systemic, when the reality is its a matter of accountability, and lack thereof, when you see it and it should be addressed as its found.

Now yeah it could be fixed by a top down org, it could be, or it could be fixed even quicker from the bottom up by the customer.

Stop attending schools like this, massively withdraw, for the sake of their own existance they will be forced to improve and if not nothing of value is lost.
It is systemic because the bulk of colleges out here have money mismanagement issues. Hell, a lot of businesses and companies have those issues as well. Even the government does, so colleges aren't immune to that issue.

You're right it comes down to accountability, but whose going to actually drive the change when a lot of people at the top are benefitting financially from it?

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t know that, but based on the below video from 2:20-2:45, he made it seem that his recommendation was only TC, and this was right after they won the SWAC :yeshrug:

When you're looking to fill a job, you typically have several candidates in mind. There may have been several people that he inquired about their interest.

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
The BCU conditions / Ed Reed issue aside….this was excellent coverage by Roland Martin and his team.

Allowed all sides to say their piece and actually hit em with good follow ups instead of just letting em run their mouth. Good media.

The interim president said all of that (on behalf of the hidden board of directors)…and then pretty much got exposed by the students, alumni, and Reed. That Ida B Wells quote hit in hindsight.

(We need a gif / smiley of Reed looking incredulous during that whole interview lol)
Agree. Not a fan of Roland Martin but he did a good job with this.

The interview shows Ed Reed can't handle the other roles of being a head coach ( dealing with AD and admins). He's too emotional. How Cadillac Williams and Deion Branch can get coaching roles at their alma mater but Miami didn't want Reed anywhere on the field?

BCU Interim President is trash and very smug about the problem with the university. Now hearing they everyone in BCU hates the Board of Trustees, It's just terrible all around and the students are getting the worst of it.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
It is systemic because the bulk of colleges out here have money mismanagement issues. Hell, a lot of businesses and companies have those issues as well. Even the government does, so colleges aren't immune to that issue.

You're right it comes down to accountability, but whose going to actually drive the change when a lot of people at the top are benefitting financially from it?
No, a lot of schools suffering from money mismanagement by administration doesn't mean the issue is systemic, if it isn't taking place within a unified system.
The same with businesses/corporation.
Even government wouldn't be the same, because there are different levels of government, you could say state government or federal government and you would be closer to correct, but you have to have the same operating and management environment to make that claim and colleges don't. Every state is different, and all schools within the state aren't on the same system.

You ask me who is going to drive change in a post where I literally say the students can drive change by disenrolling and killing revenue.