East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
All right

I'll do it

The reason southern rap blew up is not because Master P is better than GZA

Its because the south is home to the majority of

Black people

and they more easily identified with a lot of the mores and cultural elements of southern rap than they did "east coast"

once the convo of the south being intrinsically stupid and wack came around, the southern audience responded by holding their artists tighter.

I am still East Coast even though I grew up in the south. My style and the stuff I listen to is the same as in 95. Lots of BCC, WTC, 41st side type shyt

It boggles my mind when people play Project Pat for me like I missed out on something great. Its okay but I wanna hear Canibus break the time barrier with his bars, primarily.

I'd say it was a huge backlash to NYC's ego at the time moreso than anyone actually thinking Silkk the Shocker was dope...

Or maybe they did. Or maybe Canibus was not something they could decipher...

I don't think it was a quality issue

:hhh:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Silkk the Shocker made better shyt than GZA... breh... Silkk the Shocker's most popular song has damn near nothing to do with him, as the guest on the track is the only person whose presence anyone gives a F about. :pachaha:

the same could be said about GZA, if any of those singles even qualify as being popular.

and even if you feel that way, silk has hits before & long after that. meanwhile, GZA has zero hits.

you really don't want to go that route. you should've played the purist "this has to be better than that card.
EDIT: you did it in the post below:

The fact that you believe this...

sorry.

I don't let internet nerd rap narratives control my opinions.

and I like GZA, btw.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
the same could be said about GZA, if any of those singles even qualify as being popular.

and even if you feel that way, silk has hits before & long after that. meanwhile, GZA has zero hits.

you really don't want to go that route. you should've played the purist "this has to be better than that card.
EDIT: you did it in the post below:

sorry.

I don't let internet nerd rap narratives control my opinions.

and I like GZA, btw.

Ah ok... so this week, Wacky D cares about hits... you know you're always back-n-forth about that anyway. One week you do, one week you don't... usually depends on what/who you're makin' a case for... Wacky gonna Wacky tho', it's cool.

But I never thought I'd see you cape hard for a nikka who never met a beat he could catch. That ain't even a "internet nerd rap narrative", that's audio evidence. But ay :yeshrug: play on, playa.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Ah ok... so this week, Wacky D cares about hits... you know you're always back-n-forth about that anyway. One week you do, one week you don't... usually depends on what/who you're makin' a case for... Wacky gonna Wacky tho', it's cool.

But I never thought I'd see you cape hard for a nikka who never met a beat he could catch. That ain't even a "internet nerd rap narrative", that's audio evidence. But ay :yeshrug: play on, playa.

no dikk. you took it there and made it about hits.

and no, I don't flip-flop. I always take hits into consideration. its just not the end all/be all.

and you've clearly never heard the shocker. this was before he silk was forced to rap over southern beats. keep exposing yourself tho.
like I said, youre following a narrative without even listening to the music. just follow the "silk is the worst rapper ever" internet jargon that started up 10 years after the fact. great.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
whats funny is, GZA is a perfect example for this thread.

and I like GZA.

:sas2:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
no dikk. you took it there and made it about hits.

and no, I don't flip-flop. I always take hits into consideration. its just not the end all/be all.

and you've clearly never heard the shocker. this was before he silk was forced to rap over southern beats. keep exposing yourself tho.
like I said, youre following a narrative without even listening to the music. just follow the "silk is the worst rapper ever" internet jargon that started up 10 years after the fact. great.

Nah, you got me confused with somebody else. I thought this nikka was wack in real time... why TF would I need to follow an internet narrative that didn't even exist when I first heard his wack ass and knew for myself that he could barely catch a snare... you stay championing mediocrity tho, so this is about par for the course. I don't know why I would expect different from a guy who has favorite Benzino songs. No surprise. :pachaha:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nah, you got me confused with somebody else. I thought this nikka was wack in real time... why TF would I need to follow an internet narrative that didn't even exist when I first heard his wack ass and knew for myself that he could barely catch a snare... you stay championing mediocrity tho, so this is about par for the course. I don't know why I would expect different from a guy who has favorite Benzino songs. No surprise. :pachaha:

:whistle: like I said, you never heard the shocker.:whistle:

and as for the stuff youre referring to, ITS HIS STYLE. you dudes say this chit about silkk, but then turn around and crown the RZA & cormega in the same sitting.

and now youre reaching for straws, bringing up random names that have nothing to do with this, and putting words in my mouth. I don't even listen to benzino. that made men album was tough tho.
you always look so desperate when you try to get a one-up. always hilarious. and whats funny is, you force these arguments out of nowhere like youre carrying a grudge. look how badly this thread got derailed.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Hell you could make a better argument that that the early to mid 90s was where the East Coast regained footing.

Wu Tang and its members were dropping classic album after classic album.

Biggie was taking the template set by Heavy D and took it to another level.

De La had put out genra defining music in De La Soul Dead, Buhloone Mindstate and Stakes high.

Onyx had that hyped up style which was making noise at the national level.

Plus by the end of 96 for better or worse you had the birth of the shiny suit era.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Hell you could make a better argument that that the early to mid 90s was where the East Coast regained footing.

De La had put out genra defining music in De La Soul Dead, Buhloone Mindstate and Stakes high.

Plus by the end of 96 for better or worse you had the birth of the shiny suit era.
East coast took back over in the mid late 90's.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

no breh.

the early-mid '90s is when they LOST their footing.

Onyx & biggie were a couple of exceptions.

shiny suits is late 90s.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
East coast took back over in the mid late 90's.

they never really took back over.

by the time they regained their footing in the late 90s, the south was right there neck-n-neck.

I'd say the east shared the top with the south thru '98-03.
altho, i'd give '01-02 to the east.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
what the f*ck are you talking about??

you got me mixed up with somebody else dumbass. why don't you figure out who that person is, instead of following me around about some chit that I have no clue about.

this is why dikkheads don't associate with people above their class in real life.

1st off.... why the name calling ?
i can’t be a dumbass, when i have receipts

but any fukking wayz ... i don’t have you mixed up with another poster
you got totally exposed in a thread from last year by several certified, veterans, top tier SOHH posters

• you was born in ‘85
  • didn't fukk with hip hop at 1st
  • was an R&B dude
  • didn’t even know “the source magazine” was labeled (the hip hop bible)

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/in-the-early-90s-if-you-werent-street-thug-calling-women-bytches-you-werent-popping-kid-n-play.559071/page-9

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
1st off.... why the name calling ?
i can’t be a dumbass, when i have receipts

but any fukking wayz ... i don’t have you mixed up with another poster
you got totally exposed in a thread from last year by several certified, veterans, top tier SOHH posters

• you was born in ‘85
  • didn't fukk with hip hop at 1st
  • was an R&B dude
  • didn’t even know “the source magazine” was labeled (the hip hop bible)

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/in-the-early-90s-if-you-werent-street-thug-calling-women-bytches-you-werent-popping-kid-n-play.559071/page-9

im calling you names because you keep following me around with this stupid chit. IRL, something bad would've happened by now, just off GP, but yet you worrying about some names.

the only bullet-point you have that's correct is that I was born in '85. and that's only correct because we just said that in here a few posts ago.

and like I said countless times in the thread that youre linking up; I know that it was labeled as the hip-hop bible. im saying its just a tag-line that rap nerds ate up. you aint gonna see somebody cut like me uttering such a thing. and I said this like a million times in that very thread. so wheres the exposal?? the only thing youre exposing is that youre a f*ckin airhead that cant even comprehend text.

dudes in there mad because I refuse to bow down to some magazine written by some dorks and refer to it as a bible of all things blasphemous.

some of you dudes is nerds for real for real.
"certified veteran top-tier SOHH posters". :laugh: MAN PLEASE LOG OFF AND GET SOME P*SSY. or at least a hug or something.