East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No I didn't get quiet, I got tired of reading your phillysplaining and I had other business to take care of. Your comments are gahhhbage status and wasn't worth discussing bc I already know how philly dudes never have nothing constructive to say about ny anyway, so I moved on.

so basically, this thread is still going over your head.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
supposedly the OP was born in the mid to late 80’s and didn’t even like hip hop till the 2000’s
with that said
it’s ZERO reason to even take this non sense thread, seriously

ive been into hip-hop since the '80s dikkhead.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I’m confused as to why we need to be listening to weirdos who have no knowledge of hip hop.

Loll what y’all need to doing now is praising NYC for currently having its foot in the game. Looks nyc artist are looking good on the current billboard charts.

Bum ass Ralo fans :russ:

another dumbass.

this isn't an anti-east coast thread.....and when I say "east coast", its not a code-word for just new York. im talking east coast.

its moreso comparing that time period of the east coast TO OTHER EAST COAST time periods.

my rant was originally in that south thread, but this thread really isn't about the south or the west or the Midwest.

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kinda true, kinda not at the same time.

The early-90s were still fun and upbeat on the East Coast- what happened through those years was the music taking a more serious, hardcore turn. In that era, even if you were making a party record, you still had to be/look hardcore AF while doing it (see: Naughty, Dre & Snoop, Pac). Dancing was definitely out if you wanted to be taken serious- note how many artists who had dancers in the late-80s weren't incorporating them anymore by '93. Look at the stage performances... as good as a lot of that music was, most of those stage shows consisted of nothing but walking back and forth and rapping. There's actually not many acts from that era that put on good shows, and this was right after an era where almost everyone (LL, Doug E, KRS, Kane, Biz, PE, etc.) put on good shows. "Happy rap" was stamped corny, pop, etc. on all fronts by the time '92-'93 rolled around.

So East Coast hip-hop, for the most part, was either moody and hardcore (Wu, Bootcamp, Jeru, etc) or jazzy with a conscious/serious tone (Tribe, De La, GangStarr, etc.) and lyricism was very important. There was for sure a shortage of party records in that era period, whether from East, West, or South. You had your Nice & Smooth, Puba, Black Sheep, stuff like that which got played at parties, but it wasn't as "big" as the stuff that was going pop. You had stuff like Wreckx N Effect, Salt n Pepa, and whatnot, but that stuff wasn't getting played in the same realm. That was the radio side of rap (which was a much different side... those were like rap music that R&B heads liked). By '93-'94 you had to be hard or not. That's not just an East Coast thing though, that was all over.

Part of this was why Bad Boy was so successful, because it filled a void and inspired a change in East Coast rap... Puff's whole deal was that he was from that Golden Age late-'80s party era, and a partier himself, and party records weren't big anymore in '94 especially in NY. Everyone in rap to some degree was serious and hardcore by then... he wanted to put out serious hardcore shyt too, but his #1 thing was shyt that rocked parties and radio. It's the reason he made BIG do "Juicy", the reason he had Craig deviate from making grungy stuff to make "Flava In Ya Ear"... and that's also why it worked so well, because a lot of artists weren't on a party vibe by then. BIG didn't even move much or do any dancing, but he was a dope live performer when the emphasis on live performances had been downplayed. And then in the years that followed, more rappers in NY were doing party joints or songs aimed at the radio formula of the time- which most people credit/blame Bad Boy for. I also say the same about Method Man, Lost Boyz, Busta... they were standouts in that time because they made hard shyt but also definitely made songs people partied to.
Dapped and repped

IMO, this is true, the eastcoast or NY however u wanna call it stopped makin fun party music since the early 90s. We got too caught up in the lyrical content, I myself felt like I was part of the punchline NY rap movement in the early 00s when I was a teen and I wanted to become a rapper. We didnt appreciate party music, it was goofy and wack to us, talkin as a jamaica queens nikka to yall.

We wanted to be Nas and Jay-Z not MC Hammer. I remember the house parties and all ages club nights I used to go to in the early 00sas a teen in the city only played dancehall and some old school hip hop to get nikkaz to dancin... cuz the music we liked and listened to wasnt gone get the bytches in the mood.

I guess thats when the south surpassed us cuz they was makin fun party music that the whole country could enjoy whether it was crunk or trap

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
All right
I'll do it
The reason southern rap blew up is not because Master P is better than GZA
Its because the south is home to the majority of
Black people
and they more easily identified with a lot of the mores and cultural elements of southern rap than they did "east coast"
once the convo of the south being intrinsically stupid and wack came around, the southern audience responded by holding their artists tighter.
I am still East Coast even though I grew up in the south. My style and the stuff I listen to is the same as in 95. Lots of BCC, WTC, 41st side type shyt
It boggles my mind when people play Project Pat for me like I missed out on something great. Its okay but I wanna hear Canibus break the time barrier with his bars, primarily.
I'd say it was a huge backlash to NYC's ego at the time moreso than anyone actually thinking Silkk the Shocker was dope...
Or maybe they did. Or maybe Canibus was not something they could decipher...

I don't think it was a quality issue

no breh. just no.:scusthov:

this post personifies everything that's wrong with the mindstate that im talking about.

and I tip my hat to GZA and cannibus. two all-time great lyricists. but master p & silkk the shocker simply made better music than them.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
no breh. just no.:scusthov:

this post personifies everything that's wrong with the mindstate that im talking about.

and I tip my hat to GZA and cannibus. two all-time great lyricists. but master p & silkk the shocker simply made better music than them.

Your name is ironic, then?

Silkk has never made anything better than anyone

Master Plan has about 2 songs that I will take time to listen to

Opinions are subjective and all but if you put anyone from No Limit over GZA then we are judging by COMPLETELY different standards

Like, if a vegan and a crocodile were discussing dinner options

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Your name is ironic, then?
Silkk has never made anything better than anyone
Master Plan has about 2 songs that I will take time to listen to

Opinions are subjective and all but if you put anyone from No Limit over GZA then we are judging by COMPLETELY different standards
Like, if a vegan and a crocodile were discussing dinner options

okay buddy.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
So basically east coast rap died because they didnt want to sound like stereotypes, and refused to make music that turns our brains into jello, and that the masses would rather see black entertainers dumb down their intelligence and promote drug addictions.

It all makes sense.

what are you talking about?

you drove way off the road and jumped 20 years off-topic.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX

:martin:

STOP IT , like why even lie at this point
nikkaz done exposed you months ago ( if i remember a bunch of posters going way back to SOHH said you was on record of not fukking with hip hop till the 00’s - you even admitted it in that thread of being a R&B head during the 90’s )

:snoop:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Wacky... you were born in '85, stop this narrative :heh:

I mean, I get it, even at 3 years old we have songs we hear and like, but let's not act like we're cognitive enough at that age to comprehend and break down WTF we're listening to. You weren't two years old memorizing the Paid In Full album, come on now breh. I was diggin' the post, but now you Wacky D-ing more & more with every comment.

Silkk the Shocker made better shyt than GZA... breh... Silkk the Shocker's most popular song has damn near nothing to do with him, as the guest on the track is the only person whose presence anyone gives a F about. :pachaha:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
STOP IT , like why even lie at this point
nikkaz done exposed you months ago ( if i remember a bunch of posters going way back to SOHH said you was on record of not fukking with hip hop till the 00’s - you even admitted it in that thread of being a R&B head during the 90’s )

what the f*ck are you talking about??

you got me mixed up with somebody else dumbass. why don't you figure out who that person is, instead of following me around about some chit that I have no clue about.

this is why dikkheads don't associate with people above their class in real life.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Wacky... you were born in '85, stop this narrative :heh:

I mean, I get it, even at 3 years old we have songs we hear and like, but let's not act like we're cognitive enough at that age to comprehend and break down WTF we're listening to. You weren't two years old memorizing the Paid In Full album, come on now breh. I was diggin' the post, but now you Wacky D-ing more & more with every comment.

Silkk the Shocker made better shyt than GZA... breh... Silkk the Shocker's most popular song has damn near nothing to do with him, as the guest on the track is the only person whose presence anyone gives a F about. :pachaha:

and youre danjing it up, as always. jumping the gun.

I didn't say I was an expert. my cognizance began in '93.

I wasn't listening to rakim, outside of the "aint no joke" video.
all i know is i started school in 89, and before i started, I was mostly listening to early & mid-80s rappers, some '80s r&b/pop, '70s funk, '60s soul, '50s doo-wop. and went on to casually follow the early '90s.
all that other stuff youre talking is reactionary, and like youre looking for a one-up. I never even stated any of the stuff that youre trying to argue about.

the shocker >>> liquid swordz. GET MAD.