East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
This is what I'm sayin'... I'm supposed to entertain the thought of a nikka who's always been wack just to prove I'm not biased... meanwhile there's nikkas from his hometown that were way better than him and I dug their shyt. P ain't ever been the most amazin' rapper himself, but I'll listen to his shyt first. Gotdamn Silkk the damn Shocker...

dog, I don't give a f*ck what you listen to or what you like or dislike.

im just saying don't speak on chit you don't know about. THATS IT. THATS ALL.

but you wanna be corny about it and drag it out into a 2-page sidebar argument because your ego got bruised.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
that redman album wasn't even all that.

and its the embodiment of what this thread is about
fukk outta here nikka. Lol. That's me and alotta peoples fav album from Redman. Its def one of his top 3. And I will listen to that shyt ANY day of the week over some fukkin Silk the Shocker. And that ain't even about coastal bias.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
East coast lost because sampling got too expensive and the whole "r&b singer on the hook" thing went out of style. Rappers are required to be melodic now, and the type of rappers the east coast (specifically NY) has bred over the last 30 years is the exact opposite of that.

The other problem no one talks about is that there hasn't been a noteworthy hot east coast producer in years. Most of the hot producers are coming from ATL, Memphis, LA, etc.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
East coast lost because sampling got too expensive and the whole "r&b singer on the hook" thing went out of style. Rappers are required to be melodic now, and the type of rappers the east coast (specifically NY) has bred over the last 30 years is the exact opposite of that.

The other problem no one talks about is that there hasn't been a noteworthy hot east coast producer in years. Most of the hot producers are coming from ATL, Memphis, LA, etc.
This is a lie. Especially being that most of these nikkas got they whole hook swag from Max B, G Unit. And even Ja Rule. These nikkas is what made that harmonizing shyt popular in the hood in the 2000s. Aside from the Midwest who was bodying that shyt in the 90s. ATL was prolly the last to REALLY catch on to that shyt. Now nikkas wanna act like they invented it. When they ain't did shyt but bite off more talented southern states like Memphis and Houston. Bite off the West Coast and as much as they hate to admit it. NYC.

Last edited:

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
East Coast didnt lose its footing til the 00s.
Depends on what ur definition of "lose its footing" is I suppose, but when east coast artists started dissing whole towns out west without provocation and making mock songs of west coast style that ended up blowing up more than their previous shyt i.e. Tim Dog and Masta Ace, it was a pretty good indication that they were feeling threatened and losing their grips as the rulers of Hip Hop. And that was happening in the early 90s.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
fukk outta here nikka. Lol. That's me and alotta peoples fav album from Redman. Its def one of his top 3. And I will listen to that shyt ANY day of the week over some fukkin Silk the Shocker. And that ain't even about coastal bias.

no YOU f*ck outta here.

maybe you should fallback and realize that album was regional for a reason.

only song with high entertaining value was its like that MY BIG BROTHER

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
This is a lie. Especially being that most of these nikkas got they whole hook swag from Max B, G Unit. And even Ja Rule. These nikkas is what made that harmonizing shyt popular in the hood in the 2000s. Aside from the Midwest who was bodying that shyt in the 90s. ATL was prolly the last to REALLY catch on to that shyt. Now nikkas wanna act like they invented it. When they ain't did shyt but bite off more talented southern states like Memphis and Houston. Bite off the West Coast and as much as they hate to admit it. NYC.

HARD TRUTHS HERE.

you redeemed yourself with this post.

:myman:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

:whoa:

im not talking about all that. im just talking about that early-mid 90s time period.

I do SLIGHTLY agree with the last sentence tho, about the producers. I mentioned that earlier. but there have been hot producers in the past 10 years coming from the east. they just didn't get that spotlight, prolly cuz they weren't from new York.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
THANK YOU for having actual content in your rebuttal.

im talking about early-mid '90s tho. ruff ryders & dipset don't exist. ruff ryders are one of the crews that brought it back. and dipset are one of the crews that kept the east coast alive in the '00s.

as for the actual eras listed in the thread title tho; I was speaking in general.
- bad boy falls under the "chosen few" category that I mentioned.
- of course busta rhymes is an entertainer more than anything.

- wutang…...ehhh. hit or miss. on the entertainment front. they had the presentation. and the had the formula to be backpack and still u keep at least one joint on the mainstream airwaves while still being backpack. but at the same time, their reach wasn't as far as people like to believe on a NATIONAL scale.
While I do agree with a lot of your points I have to counter your assessment of Wu-Tang, they were a global phenomenon by the time Forever dropped, peep the reactions to them in places like Japan on The Show documentary, that logo and the Wu brand was recognized all over the world.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
dog, I don't give a f*ck what you listen to or what you like or dislike.

im just saying don't speak on chit you don't know about. THATS IT. THATS ALL.

but you wanna be corny about it and drag it out into a 2-page sidebar argument because your ego got bruised.

Silkk the Shocker bein' trash was definitely some shyt I knew about... in real time too, not internet time like you tried to claim :mjlol:

For you not to care, you sure got defensive... for all the rappers that existed in '96, you wanted to rest a whole case on SILKK and his top 10 of 1996 album, THE SHOCKER.

:lolbron:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Artists were harmonizing and doing the rap/song thing all over during the '90's. ATL definitely wasn't the last to catch on to it. It was just ATL underground that was doing it. Kilo was doing that throughout the 90's. ATL wasn't biting off Memphis. Several Memphis and Bay Area artists had homes in ATL or frequented the clubs/nightclubs. Jazze Pha, if I'm not mistaken is from Memphis and moved to Atlanta. Three Six sent a lot of time in Atlanta too. Same goes for Ball & G who had Dungeon Family heavily feature and produce In My Lifetime for them. Short and E-40 spent a lot of time in Atlanta and were rapping over Lil' Jon beats and featuring him on their songs when nobody knew who Jon was.

I'd argue that ATL is equally as talented as Memphis and Houston, if not more.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The whole Silkk The Shocker thing is kind of funny. There is no bias against Silkk. In fact, The Source once considered Silkk as the future:

images

^^^ This was 1998/1999. Silkk's debut definitely wasn't on the radar like that. In 1998, people did consider Silkk dope even with the speedy, off beat delivery. Yeah, it comes off as wack in hind sight and some considered it wack then.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
While I do agree with a lot of your points I have to counter your assessment of Wu-Tang, they were a global phenomenon by the time Forever dropped, peep the reactions to them in places like Japan on The Show documentary, that logo and the Wu brand was recognized all over the world.

yea that's why I stressed "national".

a lot of the east coast rappers from back then are gonna eat overseas until they die.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The whole Silkk The Shocker thing is kind of funny. There is no bias against Silkk. In fact, The Source once considered Silkk as the future:

images

^^^ This was 1998/1999. Silkk's debut definitely wasn't on the radar like that. In 1998, people did consider Silkk dope even with the speedy, off beat delivery. Yeah, it comes off as wack in hind sight and some considered it wack then.

b-b-b-but the Source was biased! :russ: