East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Artists were harmonizing and doing the rap/song thing all over during the '90's. ATL definitely wasn't the last to catch on to it. It was just ATL underground that was doing it. Kilo was doing that throughout the 90's. ATL wasn't biting off Memphis. Several Memphis and Bay Area artists had homes in ATL or frequented the clubs/nightclubs. Jazze Pha, if I'm not mistaken is from Memphis and moved to Atlanta. Three Six sent a lot of time in Atlanta too. Same goes for Ball & G who had Dungeon Family heavily feature and produce In My Lifetime for them. Short and E-40 spent a lot of time in Atlanta and were rapping over Lil' Jon beats and featuring him on their songs when nobody knew who Jon was.

I'd argue that ATL is equally as talented as Memphis and Houston, if not more.
Argue all u want. The shyt just ain't true. All they shyt is bitten. Biggest biters in the game. Yet the ones who talk the most shyt. When majority of their movements derived from somewhere else. This shyt is FACTS brotha. They was BITIN nikka. Period. When u take a sound from somewhere else. And them name it something different like u created the shyt. That's shark bitin. All the way back to Jermaine Dupri.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Argue all u want. The shyt just ain't true. All they shyt is bitten. Biggest biters in the game. Yet the ones who talk the most shyt. When majority of their movements derived from somewhere else. This shyt is FACTS brotha. They was BITIN nikka. Period. When u take a sound from somewhere else. And them name it something different like u created the shyt. That's shark bitin. All the way back to Jermaine Dupri.

It's subjective. I mean in Dungeon Family alone, there are artists who write, sing, act, and produce. They also play multiple instruments. There's Luda, there's T.I.

Other regions may have pioneered some if the sounds in Atlanta, but Atlanta put their own style on it and popularized those movements.

Jermaine definitely bit. Da Brat is a female Snoop. That's not indicative of the whole city though.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
When the east coast decided to be west coast gangbangers and down South trappers it was over for them. They may never find their way back. Not until they throw the colored rags away, bring crews like the Decepts back, and get on some real NYC shyt.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
Never lost footing. Legacies never lose. I don't hear no one talking about that snap rap the south had going on for a about a half a minute and last thing out of the west coast was back in the early 90s .. but an entire history of rap's origins began on the east coast; still maintained traction and relevancy.
Do you honestly believe there hasn't been anything from the west that blew nationally since the early 90s?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
They were, putting a platinum south rapper and a former deathrow artist whom was from a double platinum group next to a platinum east coast artist is great business. They still have a bias history

breh, we covered that Source shyt a long time back... we gonna leave that alone.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
fukk outta here nikka. Lol. That's me and alotta peoples fav album from Redman. Its def one of his top 3. And I will listen to that shyt ANY day of the week over some fukkin Silk the Shocker. And that ain't even about coastal bias.
U nikkas live in a fantasy world. "a Lotta people's fav Album"? Based off what? U and your homies?

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
new Yorkers are the ones with the complex.

case in point, im talking about the entire east coast, but for some reason, you think im criticizing just new York.
The thing you have to understand about purist NY elitist hip hop heads is that NY is the end all be all of the East Coast, Jersey and Philly matter as well be the West Coast and Down South. shyt, even within NY if it's not Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens you've got an uphill battle against the New York-centrics. Harlem on the other hand has always had a history of embracing new styles and fresh ideas.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
:laff::laff:HOW???!! LMAOFFFFF.... :deadrose::dead: That inferiority complex runs deep with yall huh?? What flavor, yall have no style (I'll give Jersey and Baltimore more swag and style that I would ever give Philly).... what swag... ??!! yall cant keep up with New York.. wtf.. Hold that delusion. what music are you basing that on - The Roots?? what eras were you prevalent in? and you HAVE to say East Coast because nothing was popping off in Philly as a city for hip hop.
Let's not forget that Schooly D paved the way and set the tone first for it to be cool for cats like BDP, G-Rap and any other late 80s NY rappers to spit street oriented rhymes, let's not forget that Fresh Prince set the bar for rappers making their way into Tv and film on a large scale first, you can't deny that Philly contributed to the shaping of hip hop as we know it.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
I did read your OP and was lacking whether you from the east or not...crazy classic albums and legendary artist came out during that time but it was lacking? Gtfuoh if you from the east then you know cats like brand nubian went gold in the streets...my had a big bootleg issue..cl smooth and others have addressed..that don't count against cats cuz to be honest until 90 91 only a minor few..like a handful of cats was even going gold...plus I can't trust nobody that tries and dismiss the wu's reach when you got cats in countrys you never heard of with EU rats and throwing up the W...
The bootlegging issue certainly wasn't exclusive to NY, bootlegs could be found in abundance at most swap meets and flea markets.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Lots of peoples fav REDMAN album. Clown. nikkas is really in here tryna shyt on Redman now? For fukkin Silk the Shocker?

Bruuuuh... unreal!

On the real, the same dudes always expose themselves in threads like this :lolbron: it be funny as hell tho'. nikkas been legit ready to fall on the sword :dame: for gotdamn Silkk the Shocker and Coolio and Hammer and all sorts of wack nikkas.