East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Lots of peoples fav REDMAN album. Clown. nikkas is really in here tryna shyt on Redman now? For fukkin Silk the Shocker?
Lol who's shytting on Red?
Silkk meant more in my town than Red
Album is dope too.
Can he fukk with red on the mic,of course not

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
I thought everlast was from some white ghetto overseas and migrated to boston.
Although situated in LA, 80% of Rhyme Syndicate were from the east coast, Ice T, Everlast, Hen Gee, Evil E, Afrika Islam, Bronx Style Bob, Donald D..they're all either from NY or Jersey.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
you've taken a lot of this out of context. maybe its the way I worded it, but im in agreement with you on this not being the era of the party.
I was moreso referring to songs with vibes & commercial appeal.

I clearly didn't say that bone thugs made party joints. re-read my post.
and "who got the props"(which I luv) doesn't have an ounce of the national or commercial appeal of a thuggish ruggish.

well lets not forget that pac didn't really take off as an elite rapper until he dropped that album from prison. then AEOM came out months later and made it an after-thought in terms of success.

yea, but ice cube rapped over party beats on "jackin 4 beats". same with the "no vasseline" rip. yea, im reaching for straws with cube but its effective.

geto boys - I was referring to "damn it feels good to be a gangsta", which they still play on white radio.
scarface put out way more records solo than he did with geto boys. "we cant be stopped" is prolly the highest-seller.

we gonna act like cypress hill was double-plat out the gate because of black people?
"You know how we do it" and "Bop Gun" definitely got played at parties back in the day, by no means was a cube a party starter type rapper but he had a few joints.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
All right

I'll do it

The reason southern rap blew up is not because Master P is better than GZA

Its because the south is home to the majority of

Black people

and they more easily identified with a lot of the mores and cultural elements of southern rap than they did "east coast"

once the convo of the south being intrinsically stupid and wack came around, the southern audience responded by holding their artists tighter.

I am still East Coast even though I grew up in the south. My style and the stuff I listen to is the same as in 95. Lots of BCC, WTC, 41st side type shyt

It boggles my mind when people play Project Pat for me like I missed out on something great. Its okay but I wanna hear Canibus break the time barrier with his bars, primarily.

I'd say it was a huge backlash to NYC's ego at the time moreso than anyone actually thinking Silkk the Shocker was dope...

Or maybe they did. Or maybe was not something they could decipher...

I don't think it was a quality issue
Or maybe Silkk had a unique style that people actually thought was dope, and maybe some people thought Bis chose some wack ass beats and his debut was a let down and rhymes about intergalactic space time continuums sounds dumb over wack beats.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
Wacky... you were born in '85, stop this narrative :heh:

I mean, I get it, even at 3 years old we have songs we hear and like, but let's not act like we're cognitive enough at that age to comprehend and break down WTF we're listening to. You weren't two years old memorizing the Paid In Full album, come on now breh. I was diggin' the post, but now you Wacky D-ing more & more with every comment.

Silkk the Shocker made better shyt than GZA... breh... Silkk the Shocker's most popular song has damn near nothing to do with him, as the guest on the track is the only person whose presence anyone gives a F about. :pachaha:
I think you might be confusing Wacky with @SirBiatch

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I would say the no limit/cash money era is when the south kinda took the reigns, ghetto dope and 400 degreez really changed the sound and aesthetic of hip hop at that point.

THIS

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
When the east coast decided to be west coast gangbangers and down South trappers it was over for them. They may never find their way back. Not until they throw the colored rags away, bring crews like the Decepts back, and get on some real NYC shyt.

east coast exists outside of new York.

that's the problem with the east coast. yall keep NY at the forefront, even tho they've been cold for over a decade.

no other region has to deal with this. that's one of the reasons why the south has been the most successful the past 20 years. they keep chit movin. they don't stay force-feeding the same washed up rappers, 10-15 years past their primes, blocking out the young talents. and the doors are open for other states to a degree.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Lots of peoples fav REDMAN album. Clown. nikkas is really in here tryna shyt on Redman now? For fukkin Silk the Shocker?

silk the shocker made better music than redman.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
When the east coast decided to be west coast gangbangers and down South trappers it was over for them. They may never find their way back. Not until they throw the colored rags away, bring crews like the Decepts back, and get on some real NYC shyt.
:mjlol:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say the no limit/cash money era is when the south kinda took the reigns, ghetto dope and 400 degreez really changed the sound and aesthetic of hip hop at that point.

Nah, The South didn't really take the reigns at the time. With No Limit and CMR, it was very Louisiana focused as opposed to the whole South blowing up. That didn't happen until the early '00's. By 2005, there were movements all over The South:

Houston- Swisha House and Screwed became national

ATL- Crunk, Snap, trap, Luda, Kast reaches commercial apex

Memphis- Three Six reaches commercial apex, Young Buck

Mississippi- David Banner

Kentucky- Nappy Roots

Louisiana- CMR still viable via Big Tymers/Birdman, Lil' Wayne, and Juve gets a second wind and a huge hit with Soulja Slim

Florida- Trick Daddy became bigger. Rick Ross blew up. There was also Plies. I don't know if we're counting Pitbull and Flo-Rida

Alabama- Rich Boy

Artists from all over were hopping on Lil' Jon beats. Even some of the older heads in The South were bigger as a result. Eightball & MJG dropped one of their biggest albums in 2004. Bun B had a successful solo album. T.I. and Lil' Wayne went on to become two of the biggest rappers in Hip Hop.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
Nah, The South didn't really take the reigns at the time. With No Limit and CMR, it was very Louisiana focused as opposed to the whole South blowing up. That didn't happen until the early '00's. By 2005, there were movements all over The South:

Houston- Swisha House and Screwed became national

ATL- Crunk, Snap, trap, Luda, Kast reaches commercial apex

Memphis- Three Six reaches commercial apex, Young Buck

Mississippi- David Banner

Kentucky- Nappy Roots

Louisiana- CMR still viable via Big Tymers/Birdman, Lil' Wayne, and Juve gets a second wind and a huge hit with Soulja Slim

Florida- Trick Daddy became bigger. Rick Ross blew up. There was also Plies. I don't know if we're counting Pitbull and Flo-Rida

Alabama- Rich Boy

Artists from all over were hopping on Lil' Jon beats. Even some of the older heads in The South were bigger as a result. Eightball & MJG dropped one of their biggest albums in 2004. Bun B had a successful solo album. T.I. and Lil' Wayne went on to become two of the biggest rappers in Hip Hop.
What would you say was making bigger waves nationally at that time? No Limit was dropping gold and platinum albums on a bi weekly basis.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

half of the artists you mentioned, were more synonymous with the new orleans era.

and ur doing a lot of embellishing with some of these examples. lol @ 8ball & mjg having one of the most successful albums in 2004.

Last edited: