Dune 2 - (March 1, 2024)

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Dune is an anti-white savior story you dummies. Paul uses religious fundamentalism to exploit them and use them to come to power

Paul is a cac outsider who is superior to EVERY Fremen (non cacs), he masters their ways in record time and emancipates them from the oppressive cac ruling overlords that never would have been achieved without him and his superiority.

It's Paul who is the best fighter, Paul with the powers, Paul who comes up with the plans. Paul who becomes the leader Paul liberates the Fremen.

White Savior 101.

It is no different to Jake Sully in Avatar.

You have to look at it as one movie. It literally picks up right Part 1 ended. Think of it as you are picking up at the second half of Act two.
That's because its star wars for grown ups! Lol

Jake Sully has to become Navi. Learn to fly their dragons. Customs and language. Falls for native. Becomes the leader.

Paul. Become sand cac. Learn to ride their worms. Customs and language. Falls for native. Becomes the leader.

Yeah I know Avatar stole from every white savior story ever made. But these movies are all similar. But that don't mean they can't be enjoyed.

The biggest issue I had is that the movie despite all the hype is forgettable. The visuals are good but that’s it. Everything else was flat :yeshrug: .

While watching it I just kept thinking that another director would have made all this epic, grandiose and iconic. And also would have had the foresight to cast better actors to elevate a paper thin script. Because the actor who plays Paul isn't good enough for the role. The same with Zendaya.

There’s action with scope but at the same time it felt dull and subdued and none of it was memorable. If I had to compare it another movie it would be Dunkirk. Do you remember anything from it, any line or any of the characters? NOPE. It will be the same with this movie in a year.

This movie is being protected by the popularity of the two main actors, Zendaya and the actor who plays Paul. If not for their popularity it would be getting trashed.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Paul is a cac outsider who is superior to EVERY Fremen (non cacs), he masters their ways in record time and emancipates them from the oppressive cac ruling overlords that never would have been achieved without him and his superiority.

It's Paul who is the best fighter, Paul with the powers, Paul who comes up with the plans. Paul who becomes the leader Paul liberates the Fremen.

White Savior 101.

The biggest issue I had is that the movie despite all the hype is forgettable. The visuals are good but that’s it. Everything else was flat :yeshrug: .

While watching it I just kept thinking that another director would have made all this epic, grandiose and iconic. And also would have had the foresight to cast better actors to elevate a paper thin script. Because the actor who plays Paul isn't good enough for the role. The same with Zendaya.

There’s action with scope but at the same time it felt dull and subdued and none of it was memorable. If I had to compare it another movie it would be Dunkirk. Do you remember anything from it, any line or any of the characters? NOPE. It will be the same with this movie in a year.

This movie is being protected by the popularity of the two main actors, Zendaya and the actor who plays Paul. If not for their popularity it would be getting trashed.
The white savior trope doesn’t typically involve the white savior adopting the entire culture, learning their language & customs and integrates so deeply into their society, Paul respects their ways and traditions. He doesn’t view himself as culturally or morally superior. He does bring fighting techniques he learned from the Bene Gesserit but the fremen are ferocious fighters and Paul barely survived 1 on 1 combat. There’s no reason to believe that the fremen wouldn’t eventually beat the Harkonnen’s, there were over a million fremen and the colonizers had no idea there were that many. Paul integrates so deeply into the fremen way of life that he feels more connected to it than his original culture. He doesn’t succeed because of inherent superiority, he’s fulfilling fremen prophecies that were planted by the bene gesserit, the path was set for him by others. Dune is a critique of blindly following a charismatic leader, the nature of power, authority, and intervention in foreign cultures. I don’t know what to tell you other than you’re factually wrong.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Its absolutely white savior. The key thing is, why does he just so happen to ride the biggest worm. There's no reason that had to be that way. You mean to tell me he summons the biggest worm and hop on that mofo first try? Two days ago he was saying "teach me your ways". In addition, he infiltrated a culture and smashed their baddest chick. No one else got laid the whole time, cmon now. Josh Brolin couldnt get buns? Knock it off.

Now that being said, they could turn it on its head in Part 3. But Part Two absolutely white savior 101.

Daps
Reppin
#LWO
Incredible movie . Leaps and bounds Better than the first . I’ll definitely be watching it again

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

White Savior 101.

This is suggestive and you can feel whatever way you want about it. For me, I feel the complete opposite of everything bolded.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Lol yall not in here turning a great movie and story into a racist production.

It was made by Americans so they gonna put a white person as lead.

I can name 5-10 different animes that follow a similar plot. Guess what the characters are Asian because it was made by Asians that's just how the world works.
We had these exact conversations in the part 1 thread. People have been misinterpreting Dune since 1965 despite Herbert making it painfully obvious that Paul is not a good person or a savior. People don’t have room for nuance. Denis is French, not American and so is Timothee. We’re talking about an insanely distant future, the mere idea of white or black doesn’t even exist. Dune never explicitly defines the characters race or ethnicity but the Atreides home planet Caladan was described as Mediterranean so it is assumed they were Greek or European.