Dune 2 - (March 1, 2024)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
My bro got us some tix for this afternoon. I really have no excitement at all for this movie at all but I hope it's not boring like part 1. The setting is what makes me :russell: but I'm willing to try and enjoy. Wish me luck!
You should have a better time. Some parts that drag but overall a lot more action in this one that makes it more accessible.

I gave Part 1 another watch afterwards and it hits differently. Think I like Zimmer’s score better in that one too.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
TL/DR - 9 out of 10.

Going into it
  • Read all 6 books
  • Saw the DV's version. Haven't seen the Dave Lynch or the Sci Fiction version.
Overall
  • Denis comments on dialogue vs sight and sound really show in this movie, because the spectacle of this movie...wow.
  • A lot of the great lines in the book just don't translate to the medium of film.
  • A lot of the important ideas (imo) don't translate well to film.
  • OMG, THE WORLD BUILDING - Peter Jackson should take note here. Zac Snyder, George Lucas...
  • It's still a great rendition of the work, but not necessarily of the story
But Denis really killed it with
  • Visuals and Cinematography - Every frame was a painting
  • The Sound - it was rumbling in my theater, a lot - and it added to the whole film.
  • The Costumes - all of them were great, but in particular the Bene Gesserit
  • Shai-Hulud was awesome, way better than the 1st one
  • The battles were good (Some Vietnam Vibes in some parts)
  • Stilgar/Javier Bardem - give him the Oscar already. I think he was given the most to work with and did the most with it. Rebecca Ferguson and Austin Butler came in 2 and 3.
  • Timmy C - He played Muad'dib the way that Frank wrote him imo - and there just isn't much there in terms of character in the book for an actor. But he did really kill it when he was allowed to show some emotion.
Coulda used some work
  • The hand to hand combat - there's an interesting video essay on action cinema - a few guys have sort of hijacked our brains on what good action looks like. Some of it was really good, some ehh.. -
    There's a lot of "one stab = one kill in this" and for that saw it...well you know
  • Acting and The Dialogue - Herbert had a lot of great things to say, but a lot of it didn't translate into great dialogue. Which made this the perfect film for DV.
    • Chani/Zendaya - The camera did not love her in this.
    • Josh Brolin and C. Walken - Wasted.
As a movie? I loved it.

As an interpretation of Frank Herbert's Dune - I don't think the message/meaning of Dune could be Hollywood-ified. Dune is not happy and it's not clean. And it's not something that people want to hear, imo.

I don't think they really captured
why Muad'dib was so reluctant. What does it mean to shepherd all of life past destruction? Especially when it means the death of billions so that trillions may live?

Frank Herbert's Dune - I'm still not sure what I think about it. There are so many "extractable" lessons and quotables - but I've read too much Frantz Fanon and Walter Rodney. Some might say to turn off the "wokeness" - but Herbert was trying to be woke in his day, and with this work.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
haven't seen it yet but dennis is definitely one of the best directors out there at the mo.

top 5 currently active and top 10/15 of modern cinema.

:hubie:

top5 active (not in order)

nolan
tarentino
scorsese
villeneuve
cameron

6 - 10 (no order)

spielberg (semi retired at 6)
scott
eastwood
affleck
del toro

danny boyle
david fincher
paul thomas anderson
tony scott
tony gilroy

honorable mention: frank darabont

(provisional)

:hubie:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Zac Snyder 166M

Denis made this movie for 190M

So basically, if Zac got 24M dollars, Rebel Moon would have been better?

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Just got out while ago and I was hating but I liked this one way more than part 1. Way better movie. The sound was crazy. Kinda rushed at the end imo but they had to tell the story so part 3 can happen.

When zendaya found out she was the side chick now :dead:

Christopher Walken totally out of place :dead:

Bautista getting treated like a bytch the entire movie :dead:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Gotta say...from Oppenheimer and this...Florence pugh is so fukkin sexy...like she has pure temptress energy...she seems like an S class next level seductress. She'd probably bankrupt most men...got damn...I get why oppy, Feyd and Paul couldn't resist her ...:whew:that type of succubus power fukks me up
I got the Lea wake up call in this movie. She is a classic beauty.

gettyimages-494858802_-_p_2016.jpg

image.jpg

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
well have to disagree

this isnt "white savior" at all - even the first movie Paul doesnt know his potential and rejects what his purpose is -

and only a surface reading from a contemporary perspective would call this movie "white savior" becasue the nature of our culture currently has you viewing things thru that lens

and this is the whole point of Dune - the story of Dune isnt about a savior at all its about peoples propensity to reduce things to their immediate needs or have such tunnel vision that they do more harm than good that often they speak and act more out of ignorance rather than actual TRUE knowledge. Dune is about the bias of "knowledge" and the nature of power and leadership and the danger in following a specific ideal to the exclusion of others because supposedly you "know" things..
I don’t think Paul is neither a bad guy or a good guy. I don’t think he’s a savior. You’re right he didn’t even really know who he truly was. His mom’s people, the emperor and Baron all were playing checkers until Paul’s dad and Paul himself actually followed through and worked with the Freman. It’s still white colonialism though.