Dune 2 - (March 1, 2024)

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Going by the film as presented only (didn't read the book and have no intention to)
yes, the unborn sister got elevated awareness and powers immediately, the communication with her mother, essentially communicating with Paul, etc. a powerful unintended consequence by the witches it seems
Ah okay, makes sense

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Gotta say...from Oppenheimer and this...Florence pugh is so fukkin sexy...like she has pure temptress energy...she seems like an S class next level seductress. She'd probably bankrupt most men...got damn...I get why oppy, Feyd and Paul couldn't resist her ...:whew:that type of succubus power fukks me up

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Never read the books or seen the movies. Am I missing out brehs?

The wife wants to see it but...I dunno brehs :jbhmm:
the books are way deeper and as a movie there is just only so much they can do - i have read dune like 3 times already and there is always new shyt to realize ...if you dont want to read it then get the audio book which is as entertaining. (IMO)

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Paul's mom was on some other shyt.

Can someone explain why the witches got surprised when they gave Paul's mom the water of life? Does the sister get some sort of power?
one they were surprised that Jessica was picked becasue they thought she was dead

two that Jessica was aided by her daughter...

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
My showtime is 215

I’m killing some time by trolling until it starts lol

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Nope, didn’t know anything about this till the movies.
well have to disagree

this isnt "white savior" at all - even the first movie Paul doesnt know his potential and rejects what his purpose is -

and only a surface reading from a contemporary perspective would call this movie "white savior" becasue the nature of our culture currently has you viewing things thru that lens

and this is the whole point of Dune - the story of Dune isnt about a savior at all its about peoples propensity to reduce things to their immediate needs or have such tunnel vision that they do more harm than good that often they speak and act more out of ignorance rather than actual TRUE knowledge. Dune is about the bias of "knowledge" and the nature of power and leadership and the danger in following a specific ideal to the exclusion of others because supposedly you "know" things..

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Denis changed a lot of shyt from the book in this one. Very important shyt.

yeh Denis says he really doesnt like dialogue - but to tell the story of Dune properly ther really does need to be some real heavy metphorical - allegory and irony in the dialogue - its really the element that is missing in the first and this second movie-

there needs to be that mix of whats being said and what is actually NOT being said but really IS being said.
That cant be accomplished with just visuals alone.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
well have to disagree

this isnt "white savior" at all - even the first movie Paul doesnt know his potential and rejects what his purpose is -

and only a surface reading from a contemporary perspective would call this movie "white savior" becasue the nature of our culture currently has you viewing things thru that lens

and this is the whole point of Dune - the story of Dune isnt about a savior at all its about peoples propensity to reduce things to their immediate needs or have such tunnel vision that they do more harm than good that often they speak and act more out of ignorance rather than actual TRUE knowledge. Dune is about the bias of "knowledge" and the nature of power and leadership and the danger in following a specific ideal to the exclusion of others because supposedly you "know" things..
To be fair to @LinusCaldwell the movies that be make so far do not cover all that they just drop hints of the bigger themes the story of dune is about. so I don't blame him or any other Black/ person of color from seeing paul as a "white savior ":mjpls:type of protagonist because on the surface he is:manny:. Only book reader will know that he is a subversive of the "white savior " trope.

Daps
It was great. My only complaint was that the final battle felt like it was over in 2 minutes. I thought we were going to get some Lord of the rings shyt
The battle was over when the shield wall was breached. Paul being prescient, seeing all possible futures, and being the first male Reverend Mother with access to all the combined knowledge and memories of his male and female ancestors didn't hurt.