Drake - For All The Dogs (Discussion Thread)

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Gonna sound cliche, but the album grew on me :russ:

My first listen was on a blue teeth speaker getting ready for the gig Friday morning….subsequent listens this weekend including just now with the top off the whip on this beautiful October day has allowed me to dig the vibes….my initial complaint was there wasn’t enough rapping, but there is actually more rapping than I thought…it’s just this ain’t a Nas album…he’s playing with flows and melodies

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Mr Morale was a bad album with poor singles and no deployability.

Theres songs from CLB still ringing off.

Mr Morale isn’t good music. Who gaf about concepts. We want slaps
except that is was a great album, Kendrick grew from a rapper to an artist
ya can keep your cheap one and done, samey slaps like this album gives you

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I think there is for sure valid criticism, but the hyper tribal/polarized nature of social media, and fans now is so extreme. The gossip lame too, obviously. Like Rihanana fans won't like it, because he "dissed" her. That kind of thing. Taking sides like it's really that serious. Part of the culture, some of the best parts are making fun of your favorites when they stumble.

everyone is so black or white now. Like when Jay dropped Kingdom Come, terrible album, but you aren't Jay hater if you call that out.

I'm still listening to it, processing, feeling it's lower points and it's better ones, people just listen once, and then hit social media for the attention. And this is coming from someone who didn't listen to Drake seriously for years, because I thought he was p*ssy. Sounds idiotic, but I really only listened to his singing shyt, and I put my boys onto him. Had all the old tapes.

its become significantly worse since then. Its the YT short ADHD era.

The idea of an album being released at 6 am and there are 1,000 reviews of it by 8am is absurd.

This is why RZA did that goofy 1 copy "wu-tang" album or whatever the deal was.

He's right; the art itself has been devalued.

Back in the day when there were legit music critics the labels would send them the album out way before release.

It makes sense because you have to LIVE with music.

Its vybe based. Time and place.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
its become significantly worse since then. Its the YT short ADHD era.

The idea of an album being released at 6 am and there are 1,000 reviews of it by 8am is absurd.

This is why RZA did that goofy 1 copy "wu-tang" album or whatever the deal was.

He's right; the art itself has been devalued.

Back in the day when there were legit music critics the labels would send them the album out way before release.

It makes sense because you have to LIVE with music.

Its vybe based. Time and place.

Good points. Part of enjoyment is criticism, criticism itself isn't inherently negative. What you said says it all in a sentence, album released at 6:00 AM and 1,000 reviews by 8:00. You can start posting, start the process, but saying without any equivocation this is TRASH is wild. Albums like Encore aside.

Food, music, art, books, movies, the real joy in those things is the ability to process it, the good and bad, what could be better, what was incredible. Real food critics eat at a place like 3x or more before writing a review, order different things.

a lot of this isn't for real enjoyment, it's for a weird metric of being first or being right, or being on the right side.

Last edited:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Y’all gotta get better at the hate there’s nothing 1 dimensional about the production on here

This is easily the best produced album with most varied production of the year

Breh the range on here is crazy....from "rich baby daddy" 2 "away from home"

This is probably his most versatile album yet on the production tip.

all of his other albums I have to be in a certain mood 2 listen 2.

this 1 isn't cohesive like that.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
"(Praaayying), praying till you find a maaaaaaann
(that's gon treat you that's gon treat you like I can)"
full

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
whats his deal?
He was put on by Tyler, the creator and kinda just took flight ever since. He’s a mix of a lot of different music styles, but his RNB work is his best imo. His first album ain’t do all that number wise, but his next will. Already worked with stars and got a song on a Taco Bell commercial…it’s only up for him.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Listened to most of it on a long ride in the whip. Loved the intro Virginia Beach, Frank sample hits hard. First time really listening to Teezo Touchdown but I fukked with Amen as well. There's not bangers galore on here like it was on Her Loss, but if you're a Drake fan I still feel like you'll fukk with this since it's typical Drake throughout. Sosa finally got on a Drake joint:wow:.

First Person Shooter was a fukking moment the game been needing for a minute, Cole and Drake came through, will definitely be going back to that one a lot, now we just need another Kenny/Drake collab lol. What Would Pluto Do is like the Still Here of this album, dope banger. I fukk with Slime You Out more now. Member's Only with PND gives me classic Drake and Party vibes. Even the joint with Bad Bunny was straight.

Gonna need to finish the whole thing got a few more joints to run through but I fukk with this. I'm a Drake stan and know he sticks with his "Drakeisms" usually so this is right up my allley.