Drake - For All The Dogs (Discussion Thread)

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Drake fans better not be saying anything about the MCU getting stale and how Marvel needs to switch it up.

Ya'll better be the same basic ass nikkas who watched Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness and Ant Man: Quantumania and was like this "This shyt is AMAZING :ahh: Marvel DON'T MISS :blessed:"

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
This was a tough listen. I think hes depressed, even when hes bragging he sounds joyless. As a rapper hes too old to actually appeal to teenage girls and too childish for people in his own age group. George Clinton & J Cole were the parts that made my ears perk up the most.

I know he still gets a lot of play, but its just name recognition. Same reason The Simpsons still being made despite being ass for years.

Theres some good tracks I will replay, but I rarely revisit any of these newer Drake albums. Only Scorpion aged well since IYRTITL. The best thing he can do is disappear for a few years.

GetRichOrDieTryin

Superstar
Daps
After 4-5 listens
The album is good but too long which really makes me think as drake has said NWTS is his best with the perfect amount of songs etc.

Idk why he always has 20+ songs. Trim the excess and drop them on mixtapes or something or just random songs here and there. That would push the albums rank much higher AND be more enjoyable

Sound wise, not much growth here..
Production is great as always
Lyrically, step down from clb and her loss imo.

What really disappointed me was he said this is the old drake :sas1: It's not. Marketing i know but other than the 8pm joint,nothing old drake about this
I prefer clb and her loss much more.

GetRichOrDieTryin

Superstar
Daps
This was a tough listen. I think hes depressed, even when hes bragging he sounds joyless. As a rapper hes too old to actually appeal to teenage girls and too childish for people in his own age group. George Clinton & J Cole were the parts that made my ears perk up the most.

I know he still gets a lot of play, but its just name recognition. Same reason The Simpsons still being made despite being ass for years.

Theres some good tracks I will replay, but I rarely revisit any of these newer Drake albums. Only Scorpion aged well since IYRTITL. The best thing he can do is disappear for a few years.
He said he's going to take a break.

He did sound less charismatic tbh. It happens. It's happened to the best of the best. How he bounces back will define his legacy tbh.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The word that comes back to me after a few listens, is stale. Not horrible, not the worst album, not a massive failure or flop, just more than a little stale. And like someone just said above, the length. It just drags and drags forever. Repeats the same complaints and same stories, same person? on like 7-9 songs.

Even the sharpest produced tracks, Virginia Beach, 7969 Santa, for example don't really feel as fun or inspiring, like the second half of 0-100, I still play that all the time. This has that Drake sound, but it's like a beautiful movie with a bad script sometimes.

It also feels just a little messier, and rougher, like he really sounds a little broken over someone/something. But, he doesn't let the facade down enough to really let the listener in. LIke it doesn't feel like a personal album, there's still that superstar distance, but he is being somewhat honest about something. Some kind of regret, or some kind of resentment, maybe for a way of living.

Like Travis Scott, Drake can sound a little hollow. The Meltdown verse and the second part of the Cole record sound like they were done in the same take. That's a fire verse. That song worked.

Also, like every artists, like Jay, sometimes they need to come back around, what sounded great in 2013, doesn't sound great now. But, NWTS had more heart than this, or more vulnerability. Singing sounded better, at a minimum. That was an issue too. Not one to critique vocals like that. but he really sounded off.

tay1

All Star
Daps
Damn even Ak is admitting how okay this album is. That's a bad sign.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
See... I think posts like this from Mysonne are kinda proving Drake's point...

He says Cole is guilty of this too...

It's as simple as hardcore fans that only listen to lyricism can't fathom in their head that their own favorite artists listen to other styles and vibes other than what they are known for. Calling Drake a lyricist is crazy also..

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I’m not necessarily a Drake fan but I really liked Take Care. I don’t think he’s going to put out an album of that quality again. Bounced hard off his previous album and am unimpressed with this one. Seems to be an artist that just gets by off his name and legacy more than anything. He’s early the worst of the Kenny, Cole, Drake holy trinity of his generation.
He doesn’t have to top Take Care

Most artist don’t top their early shyt

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
As a person who is not really a fan of singing Drake, this album is not as bad as people are saying it is. Definitely not worth all the controversy it's been causing, seems like a typical Drake album with a lot of filler songs. It's pretty tolerable for the most part but I see with social media it quickly becomes a trend to trash a project upon release if it doesn't hit immediately people's expectations. Assuming that is because he's not really rapping rapping on here as he has on other projects. I liked about 13 or 14 of the 23 songs which means he shot over 50 percent :yeshrug: