Dr. Watkins Speaks On Empire/Media Propaganda (NEW)

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Dr Boyce was outnumbered. They made him go up against 3 c00ns and they talked over him every time he tried to make a point. White people don't have to say shyt cuz they have hired black servants to do their fighting for them. I hate to say this but alot of our people will die and must die because they are hindering the movement and protecting racists.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
You guys should check out Malik Yobas episode on Combat Jack. Seems like he shared a lot of our sentiments on this show. Didn't shyt on it at all, but he feels like it's importnant that the show doesn't stay surface entertainment and really delves into some of the issues it feels like addressing.

I for one, want to give it a pass in its first season. It was obviously rushed, stories/plots weren't really fleshed out. It seemed like they had no idea what they had on their hands and I hope next season they don't insult their fan base by giving more of the same like Walking Dead did for its first several seasons. They owe it to us to make this show worth the amount of popularity and success it's gotten.

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
You guys should check out Malik Yobas episode on Combat Jack. Seems like he shared a lot of our sentiments on this show. Didn't shyt on it at all, but he feels like it's importnant that the show doesn't stay surface entertainment and really delves into some of the issues it feels like addressing.

I for one, want to give it a pass in its first season. It was obviously rushed, stories/plots weren't really fleshed out. It seemed like they had no idea what they had on their hands and I hope next season they don't insult their fan base by giving more of the same like Walking Dead did for its first several seasons. They owe it to us to make this show worth the amount of popularity and success it's gotten.

If people keep buying nasty food from McDonalds they're not going to stop making the slop until people stop buying it.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
If people keep buying nasty food from McDonalds they're not going to stop making the slop until people stop buying it.

On one hand, you're absolutely correct. But the truth is, the numbers fall off and they just cancel the show. They won't even spend a second trying to figure out why. We're not afforded that luxury. They got us in the door, now justify why we should stay here.

The reason I used The Walking Dead as an example was because their numbers never dipped. it was always one of the most popular shows on tv. Yet they kept turning out show runners because they cared about how well the show was recieved critically as well as its popularity. And that's how we got to the show they have now, where they don't want to focus on just the zombie kills, where they're focused on character growth and dealing with the world in an existential sense. It's still not GREAT, but it's far better this season than it was in seasons 2 and 3.

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
VERY interesting how the same ones like Don Lemon who criticize "sagging pants" and "black-on-black crime" are quick to cape for shows like Empire.

I watched the first 6 episodes online and it was gripping, but there were so many negative black stereotypes (obvious and low-key) it got overboard and I couldn't take anymore. They were determined to put Cookie "Strong independent black woman" and "Why does my community hate me so much because I'm gay" Jamal on a pedestal.

Tons of other stereotypes too: Flossy rapper Hakeem, Ivy Boy Andre who has a white wife and will put his family in danger for the love of money...don't even get me started on Precious. I get on Facebook and black people can't stop raving over these fictional TV shows every week. I'll be glad when Scandal is over too so I don't have to hear about these blaxploitation shows for a while.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
It seems like for too many "conscious" people, they think being pro-black means how insufferably whiny, illogical, and annoying they can be on a given topic about black people.

Yeah, 'cause when it comes to the overall American culture, sex and violence and overall hedonism arent the main themes and driving force that the public gravitates to when it comes to television. Shows like Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Weeds, Dynasty, etc just feature other races acting perfectly normal, doing their taxes, doing their homework, and peacefully and productively practicing GROUP ECONOMICS~~~!

It seems like being black bothers a lot of y'all, so you love to cry about how other black people are always making you "look bad".
Yeah this is true and a sure sign of insecurity IMO. How the fukk can cats you've never met, probably have different values, not apart of your family, etc be a reflection of you to somebody else unless they are ignorant? People always letting ignorance off the hook just so they can be one of,them special people. So shameful

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Would be nice if they had variety when it came to black shows to show some respectable black characters but you know that wont happen in white media.
Why are you always looking for somebody else to do your work or what you want done? Why don't you do it like these other black people that put their shows on other avenues like YouTube for blacks and anybody else to see because I'm assuming like you they think there is a lack on mainstream tv. Damn near every time you posting its why don't so and so do this why the hell can't you do something besides being on your knees asking for the next person to do something?

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Naw breh. I could care less about how we look to whites(if thats what you're saying) . They call Obama a n1gger. My main issue is how shows like this and poisonous, negative rap makes us feel about OURSELVES. Kids were enrolling into HBCU's BECAUSE of A Different World. That show was PURPOSELY taken off the air because it influenced us positively and promoted a high self esteem. Are u denying that media propaganda is a tool that has been used in the past to control a people

Why "A Different World" never came back to television: The brainwashing ...:
Maybe ole boy don't have a tv but A different world does come on tv still in reruns and not many shows period or remade after they are done. Also why can't parents be better role models instead of egg and sperm donors? I see you part of,the no accountability push the blame elsewhere crew. I didn't need no a different world to know about hbcus because I had family that went to them. shyts ain't foreign or anything like that where people don't or shouldn't know about them.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It seems like for too many "conscious" people, they think being pro-black means how insufferably whiny, illogical, and annoying they can be on a given topic about black people.

Yeah, 'cause when it comes to the overall American culture, sex and violence and overall hedonism arent the main themes and driving force that the public gravitates to when it comes to television. Shows like Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Weeds, Dynasty, etc just feature other races acting perfectly normal, doing their taxes, doing their homework, and peacefully and productively practicing GROUP ECONOMICS~~~!

It seems like being black bothers a lot of y'all, so you love to cry about how other black people are always making you "look bad".

:blessed:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Why are you always looking for somebody else to do your work or what you want done? Why don't you do it like these other black people that put their shows on other avenues like YouTube for blacks and anybody else to see because I'm assuming like you they think there is a lack on mainstream tv. Damn near every time you posting its why don't so and so do this why the hell can't you do something besides being on your knees asking for the next person to do something?
I already do my part.

Your always assuming bullshyt

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just because No Bammer Weed can cite white TV shows with dysfunctional characters...that doesn't take away from the fact that black people are generally portrayed in a ghetto/violent/unsophisticated light.

To the extent that a black show or actor is shown in a more reasonable role or theme, the shows tend to be moderately successful at best. And often short-lived.
He's purposefully leaving out the context of black peoples history in America. Context is key. For instance the movies about Egypt portraying whites. In the context that white people lie that they weren't black it makes the movie much more damaging. White people portray us as bad people who made our own situation bad but, leave out the context of slavery, Jim crow, redlining, race riots, etc. So when a TV show with those same qualities are portrayed they have a more damaging effect. If we were all on equal footing this would obviously be a non issue.

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
Propaganda will get you killed (or at least oppressed) in the long run. What caused the resurgence of the klan:

With all the bells and whistles and cutting edge technology to go with it. It wasn't just the south like many claim. Indiana (they weren't CSA) was a strong hold of klan activity. Even the President loved this movie.

This movie helped to justify Nazi atrocities towards Jews. Contrary to popular belief, the masses of Germans had no real ill will towards them, it had to be manufactured. Nazis were masters of this. Look at the Berlin Olympics to see. That torch lighting...came from them.

When these types of images are prevelant, with nothing to juxtapose them they create,reinforce and spread those ideas to those who don't know better. If this were harmless then why don't Jews have a problem with "Shylock, pound of flesh" characters all over the media? It's harmless after all. :troll: