Dr. Watkins Speaks On Empire/Media Propaganda (NEW)

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I'm not taking offense to anything, you suggested that the guests and Don Lemon genuinely enjoy Empire and I'm suggesting that crackheads genuinely enjoy crack.

What's one got to do with the other?

Because what I'm saying with my suggestion is that they're not c0oning or propagating maliciously.

I don't understand what you're saying with the crack head analogy or how it relates

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
If my post insinuated inferiority... I do apologize because that is not my intent... Black folks are not inferior people... They are group of people not in control of the message

Scripted television and "news" are two different levels of messages... One is considered factual... The messages sent via the news media needs to be examined and discussed..

White people in America live in a bubble... It's not just their problem when they are only exposed to Black people (or any other minority) through stereotypes and news stories. These are the same folks who turn around and become police officers, mortgage bankers, school teachers, admission officers, professors, hiring managers, etc. They become the gate keepers to opportunity, wealth, advancement, and power. This is how systemic racism thrives...

It matters

But thats what Im talking about...everything becomes ciruclar, and reverts back to systemic racism and suffocates any sort of black expression or participation in society. What does systemic racism have to do with Empire? These characters on Empire are multi-dimensional and American --- they just happen to be black. This is why the show is so popular --- its resonating witht the general public, and touching on themes and imagery that is animating their interest.

But what people like Dr. Boyce is doing is saying that no black people cant make exciting and entertaining television like everyone else because "systemtic racism"...so I guess black people can only promote imagery where they are the most exceptional of humans without flaws, so that nobody is offended. Basically sht that wouldnt make money. Its to say that black shouldnt be human, and reflect the norms of society.

This is how racism becomes a double effect on black people, and further restricts our ability in our pursuits. We always have to be dragged down by this oppressive obsession with race.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
We should have more.

Let's stop settling for crumbs.

I agree. I think the success of those two shows will lead to a "black television renaissance" so to speak. But with that is gonna come a couple more Empires. We just have to prepare for that. I also don't think we should be that upset that it does numbers compared to a blackish or whatever "high brow" black show we hopefully get in the future cause black people are still American and Americans always enjoy the more low brow entertainment. It's why shows like Mad Men will never sniff the numbers that Walking Dead does.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
I agree. I think the success of those two shows will lead to a "black television renaissance" so to speak. But with that is gonna come a couple more Empires. We just have to prepare for that. I also don't think we should be that upset that it does numbers compared to a blackish or whatever "high brow" black show we hopefully get in the future cause black people are still American and Americans always enjoy the more low brow entertainment. It's why shows like Mad Men will never sniff the numbers that Walking Dead does.
The only way we can get somewhere is if our people do not sell out.

Maybe even slip in a few respectable characters here and there.

There is need for variety no matter how minimal.

Not selling out is important though. We can have a bunch of shows like empire but if it doesn't stay in black hands then it will all end up like BET

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The only way we can get somewhere is if our people do not sell out.

Maybe even slip in a few respectable characters here and there.

There is need for variety no matter how minimal.

We can have a bunch of shows like empire but if it doesn't stay in black hands then it will all end up like BET
I don't follow. Who's selling out?

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
But thats what Im talking about...everything becomes ciruclar, and reverts back to systemic racism and suffocates any sort of black expression or participation in society. What does systemic racism have to do with Empire? These characters on Empire are multi-dimensional and American --- they just happen to be black. This is why the show is so popular --- its resonating witht the general public, and touching on themes and imagery that is animating their interest.

But what people like Dr. Boyce is doing is saying that no black people cant make exciting and entertaining television like everyone else because "systemtic racism"...so I guess black people can only promote imagery where they are the most exceptional of humans without flaws, so that nobody is offended. Basically sht that wouldnt make money. Its to say that black shouldnt be human, and reflect the norms of society.

This is how racism becomes a double effect on black people, and further restricts our ability in our pursuits. We always have to be dragged down by this oppressive obsession with race.

Obsession with race ain't the issue :heh:.... It's the actual racist practices of the media that's the issue...

The message being sent is manipulated and controlled by one voice... I do agree with your point that Black folks having to be hyper-aware of the image that they are portraying is stifling to our creativity. I am not familiar with Dr. Boyce's point of view but I definitely understand why people want a plethora of Black personalities, dispositions, and experiences in the forefront

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Will Smith has been in the industry forever and in his latest role he's a criminal/thief/con artist teaching a clueless white girl how to become a better pickpocket as he's the master of the "art"

Lol. This offends you somehow?

Bruh, that's Hitch meets Oceans 11 meets American Hustle

What's the big deal? The fact that the leading man is black?

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lucious is lucifer(Angel of Music) and the shyt was so blatant in that first episode it was almost insulting my intelligence...that's all he cares about is the music.

Funny that one scene with him and Jamal and he couldn't play the keyboard and he called him a fraud, until he picked up the guitar and started too play the strings...what was the devils supposed instrument of choice(the violin).

One quote now watch who she listens too your god or your daddy:ohhh:

But it's all entertainment I'm just bullshytting:sas2: