Dr. Dre Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!

He tried his hardest with these Dre rip offs, he should be ashamed of himself

:what:How is it a rip off when he was literally the producer on Tha Chronic 2001.

:snoop:Dr. Dre is the sound engineer and was in the room helping him paste the beats together which is why he is listed as the co-producer on every song.

Did you read the credits or just skim through it?:martin:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
:what:How is it a rip off when he was literally the producer on Tha Chronic 2001.

:snoop:Dr. Dre is the sound engineer and was in the room helping him paste the beats together which is why he is listed as the co-producer on every song.

Did you read the credits or just skim through it?:martin:

No he's not, It was Dre and Mel Man, Scott got his credit on The keys for Still Dre, The Watcher, fukk You, Big Ego's, Let's Get High and bytch nikkaz.

The nikka played the keys on those track

Again Fake News

Now ask yourself Do you read the credits or just skim through it

Jimmy Two-Times™

Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
No he's not, It was Dre and Mel Man, Scott got his credit on The keys for Still Dre, The Watcher, fukk You, Big Ego's, Let's Get High and bytch nikkaz.

The nikka played the keys on those track

Again Fake News

Now ask yourself Do you read the credits or just skim through it
I meant Dr. Dre was listed as the co-producer on every song as should of been done on DoggyStyle and Tha Chronic.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
I meant Dr. Dre was listed as the co-producer on every song as should of been done on DoggyStyle and Tha Chronic.

Mel Man on Dre Stealing Credits

Q: Does Dre steal credit?

A: I hate this f'in question. I know this will always be out there no matter how hard I argue it. So i'm not going to attempt to win this arguement. But No Dre does not steal credit from others. In my experience with Dre I have ALWAYS gotten proper credit and full publishing. Since the first Aftermath album Dre has given proper credit to every songwriter, producer, musician, engineer, whoever. Dre told me he learned how not to run a label during his death Row days. He vowed to give proper credit to everyone who works on each track.

Whether Dre produces or co produces , Dre's name will almost always go first. That's just the way it is. The only time it doesn't is when Dre doesn't actively work on the making of the track. If it is finished and he jumps on and adds or changes he will not be the first name.

But if Dre is active in the true creation of the track he will go first, and rightfully so as Dre is the orchestrator and director of every track. At death row Dre and every other artist i talked to has told me suge would let Dre get his own publishing but suge would basically steal everyone elses. In music, getting publishing credit is almost everything. Whether Snoop or Kurupt or whoever wrote the verse it didn't matter. Suge publishing would get the credit.

Dre will always admit that creating The Chronic and Doggystyle was a team effort, but that there was no doubt he was the mastermind behind the production of the tracks. Obviously I wasn't there during the death Row days but everyone I have talked to during my time with Dre who was actually there said that Dre was the main force, the main producer and orchestrator of every track. he got a lot of help from musicians and ocassional help from co-producers like sam sneed, and warren g, etc. which Dre credits for helping make those classic records.

In the end though suge would not pay them correctly so a lot of people left. the original death row is gone, and they almost all left after dre left - even daz - that should tell you something. suge stole credits and publishing from the musicians and writers all the time. and although Dre couldn't (although maybe he should have) force suge to change as co owner of death row he was ultimatley responsible, and Dre felt really bad about it. he felt responsible although it wasn't really his fault. That was a major factor in starting Aftermath. Dre wanted to run a label the correct way and make sure everyone who worked with him got full credit and the correct publishing. I can honestly say Dre has never cheated me or anyone else i know during my time at Aftermath. Egos can get involved where some people think they should get more credit than they deserve. Scott had those issues once but he's back and working with us and is very happy to be a part of dre's team.

If you ask anyone who has ever worked with Dre if he treats them fairly they will all say yes. If you are willing to put in the work it takes to be successful dre will treat you and compensate you like family. He will reward you for your efforts.
Hopefully this sheds a little light on things. Dre is far from perfect, even very irritable sometimes, but in this business of music you will find few people as giving and humble as Dre.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Mel Man on Dre Stealing Credits

Q: Does Dre steal credit?

A: I hate this f'in question. I know this will always be out there no matter how hard I argue it. So i'm not going to attempt to win this arguement. But No Dre does not steal credit from others. In my experience with Dre I have ALWAYS gotten proper credit and full publishing. Since the first Aftermath album Dre has given proper credit to every songwriter, producer, musician, engineer, whoever. Dre told me he learned how not to run a label during his death Row days. He vowed to give proper credit to everyone who works on each track.

Whether Dre produces or co produces , Dre's name will almost always go first. That's just the way it is. The only time it doesn't is when Dre doesn't actively work on the making of the track. If it is finished and he jumps on and adds or changes he will not be the first name.

But if Dre is active in the true creation of the track he will go first, and rightfully so as Dre is the orchestrator and director of every track. At death row Dre and every other artist i talked to has told me suge would let Dre get his own publishing but suge would basically steal everyone elses. In music, getting publishing credit is almost everything. Whether Snoop or Kurupt or whoever wrote the verse it didn't matter. Suge publishing would get the credit.

Dre will always admit that creating The Chronic and Doggystyle was a team effort, but that there was no doubt he was the mastermind behind the production of the tracks. Obviously I wasn't there during the death Row days but everyone I have talked to during my time with Dre who was actually there said that Dre was the main force, the main producer and orchestrator of every track. he got a lot of help from musicians and ocassional help from co-producers like sam sneed, and warren g, etc. which Dre credits for helping make those classic records.

In the end though suge would not pay them correctly so a lot of people left. the original death row is gone, and they almost all left after dre left - even daz - that should tell you something. suge stole credits and publishing from the musicians and writers all the time. and although Dre couldn't (although maybe he should have) force suge to change as co owner of death row he was ultimatley responsible, and Dre felt really bad about it. he felt responsible although it wasn't really his fault. That was a major factor in starting Aftermath. Dre wanted to run a label the correct way and make sure everyone who worked with him got full credit and the correct publishing. I can honestly say Dre has never cheated me or anyone else i know during my time at Aftermath. Egos can get involved where some people think they should get more credit than they deserve. Scott had those issues once but he's back and working with us and is very happy to be a part of dre's team.

If you ask anyone who has ever worked with Dre if he treats them fairly they will all say yes. If you are willing to put in the work it takes to be successful dre will treat you and compensate you like family. He will reward you for your efforts.
Hopefully this sheds a little light on things. Dre is far from perfect, even very irritable sometimes, but in this business of music you will find few people as giving and humble as Dre.
Exactly.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps

Here's the process

Mike Elizondo (Aftermath's In house Bass Player) speaks on the recording process with Dr. Dre

Elizondo discussed the creative process of collaborating with Dr. Dre. ‘We have a routine for writing and recording. We would show up at the studio at 3:00 pm, almost like a day job. Then Dre would usually throw up some drum beats, and then we’d fire up the keyboards and G5 (Apple) computer. I would play keyboards and guitars. Sometimes we would work with other writers, such as Scott Storch, Mark Batson and Che Pope. We would find sounds that meshed with Dre’s grooves.’

So this how Dre records, he have his drums and grooves already laid down, he get live musicians to come in from his team and the team start jamming to Dre Tracks. Dre be like okay that lick you just played I like that, keep playing that, that keyboard stab that's cool. They jamming and Dre is producing the track, Dre don't sample no more. Dre gets the sampler and start adding what he like from their sessions to his drums and grooves, Dre is producing a track, adding In keys and bass licks, guitar strums

DJ Quik does the same shyt, DJ Quik goes in the studio with G-one and Robert Fonksta Bacon who are musicians and start jamming to Quik Grooves. But Quik is a Genius not Dre?

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
Compare those albums to Damn, which is a dope album by the way and it sounds bland in comparison. I think Damn suffered due to Dre not being in the picture.

I low key noticed that...

GKMC and TPAB both had large buildups. DAMN was like a compilation

Daps
See people conflate beatmaking and producing way too often.

Anyone can make a beat. It takes Metro Boomin and Zaytoven like 10 minutes to make a beat. I can make a beat on Garageband for free.

Producing goes beyond the beat maker and involves two steps: mixing and mastering. You have to mix before mastering. Mastering is probably the easiest step once the mix is finally done.

Mixing and mastering make average beats into great songs. Make shytty beats into alright beats. It's what separated Pete Rock's version of Juicy and Puff's.

Dre normally gives an artist freedom to work with different producers. Em even went to produce his own joints. 50 used his own producers. Kendrick too. However, Dre is ALWAYS involved with the mixing and mastering of the debut album, at the minimum. That's where he at least three mountains higher than 95% of all the producers/beatmakers in the game, including the ones who worked with him (ghost or not). Listen to The Massacre. 50 used different people to mix certain songs (Em, Sha Money, etc.) Outside of the songs he produced, the songs Dre mixed ended up being the hits and most crisp songs on the album (Candy Shop, Just a Lil Bit, almost every song Hi-Tek produced). Dre basically mentored MixedByAli during the GKMC sessions. Wonder why 50 songs never really sounded the game post-Aftermath?

Yeah, Dre doesn't make all the beats anymore. But he makes the producers' beats sound like gold and that's what makes him one of the greatest hip hop producers of all time. He's like a sensei, almost like Rick Rubin-like to that end. Perhaps outside of Pharrell, Timbaland, not many producers are even on the level of Dre.