Dr. Dre Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
Why hasn't Scott Storch made anything as good as Still DRE ever since?

"Lean Back" – Terror Squad

"Adrenaline" – The Roots featuring Beanie Sigel & Dice Raw

"p*ssy Galore" – The Roots

"Westside Story" – The Game

"Clap Back" – Ja Rule

"Just A Lil' Bit" – 50 Cent

"Let Me Love You" – Mario

"Baby Boy" – Beyonce featuring Sean Paul

"What You Want" – The Roots featuring Jaguar

"Our Way" – Capone N Noreaga & Iman Thug

"Let Me Blow Ya Mind" – Eve featuring Gwen Stefani

"Livin Tha Life" – Jadakiss, Prodigy and Butch Cassidy

"There I Go Again" - Mobb Deep

"Poppin' Them Thangs" – G-Unit

"Time's Up" – Jadakiss

"Murda Murda" – Memphis Bleek featuring Jay-Z

"Brown Sugar (Extra Sweet Remix)" – Mos Def

"Lets Do It" – Method Man & Redman

"Po' nikka Blues" – 2Pac

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

"Clap Back" – Ja Rule

"Time's Up" – Jadakiss

"Po' nikka Blues" – 2Pac
Cool but none of them top Still DRE musically.

PS : Lean Back is overrated.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
See people conflate beatmaking and producing way too often.

Because 'beatmaking vs producing' is a myth used to deflect from established names stealing/taking total credit (or taking more credit than they deserve) from up-and-comers.

You'll notice this beatmaker/producer shyt only gets brought up when Dr Dre is being discussed. And the hilarious thing is that insecure Dre stans will often say [insert East Coast producer] is a beatmaker, not a producer to place Dre on this arbitrary pedestal. I've seen people on here refer to Premo/Pete Rock as beatmakers. The whole shyt is ludicrous.

Check this: The song "Half Man Half Amazin" is credited as being produced by Grap Luva, with co-production from Pete Rock. Grap Luva himself has said that even though he made the beat, Pete Rock took out the drums, replaced them with better drum sounds, added scratches, and added a crucial vocal sample to the beat that really took the beat to the next level. Essentially dressed the beat up real nice. Then Pete Rock A&R'd the record by specifically going after Method Man to be on it because he thought Method Man would fit. We don't know about the mixing and mastering part but Pete Rock's name is not mentioned there. Despite Pete Rock obviously taking Grap's beat to a whole new level, Grap Luva is still credited as the producer. The main producer. Pete Rock is co-producer.

Dre could do the same shyt Pete did (and less), and y'all would fall over yourselves praising Dre as a genius producer and minimize Grap Luva as a lowly beatmaker. Funny how that works.

In hip hop, the most driving part of the song is the beat. As a fan, I wanna know who envisioned and put together those sounds/samples and especially drum patterns together into a cohesive, fascinating melody. That's what Grap Luva did, so he's the producer. I don't really give a fukk who mixed and mastered it. As @Tommy Gibbs said, we know Bob Power engineered damn near all of Tribe's classics. But Q-Tip is the producer. Simple. Q-Tip envisioned the whole shyt. The samples, the rhythm, etc. Nobody is gonna make a list of GOAT producers and throw Bob Power on there.

So if Dre is a glorified sound engineer, great. But why force him into GOAT producer convo?

Anyone can make a beat. It takes Metro Boomin and Zaytoven like 10 minutes to make a beat. I can make a beat on Garageband for free.

So what? what does this even mean? :what: Anyone can do anything. The issue has always been 'who does it well', not who can do it on a basic level.

Producing goes beyond the beat maker and involves two steps: mixing and mastering. You have to mix before mastering. Mastering is probably the easiest step once the mix is finally done.

I dunno about that, breh. Producers are gonna be involved in those steps because they want the best for their vision/song but they always have guys who do the mixing/mastering stuff. Timbaland has a guy who mixed all his shyt throughout the 90s.

Mixing and mastering make average beats into great songs.

That's total bullshyt. You really believe this? :laff:

Make shytty beats into alright beats. It's what separated Pete Rock's version of Juicy and Puff's.

No it isn't :what: They're totally different records.

Aside from using the same section of the sample, everything else is different: the drum patterns, drum sounds, the extra shyt Trackmasters added and the overall swing. Pete Rock's version is more Bboy, edgier attitude and Trackmasters is slower, laid-back, house-party rocking-with-a-chick kinda vibe.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:
overrated or not it was a bigger hit than still dre.

You said he didnt make any good since. He's had a 100 hits since then.
Hits doesn't equal quality. When people bring up the GOAT beats no one talks about Lean Back

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps

"Clap Back" – Ja Rule

"Time's Up" – Jadakiss

"Po' nikka Blues" – 2Pac

:jbhmm:Like 99% of them tracks came after His keyboard work on Dr. Dre 2001

And few of them tracks are Dre Sounding Tracks

Dre cosign got him those track placements

Dre stimulus package:banderas:

Kool Kitty Kat

Caught Up
Daps
Because 'beatmaking vs producing' is a myth used to deflect from established names stealing/taking total credit (or taking more credit than they deserve) from up-and-comers.

You'll notice this beatmaker/producer shyt only gets brought up when Dr Dre is being discussed.

There's a lot of producers who work like Dre. Timbaland and Kanye West for example. Producing a song is more than just making a beat. If you can't understand that, then i don't know what to tell you.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Pete Rock on Dr. Dre

Grind Music Radio recently caught up with the legendary Pete Rock to break down his top five favorite producers. Listing beatsmiths like DJ Premier, the Alchemist, J Dilla, Madlib and Nottz, the Choclate Boy Wonder explains why each producer made his list and why he had to extend the list to six to include Dr. Dre.

“The Alchemist, with the LOX record [‘We Gon Make It],” he explained. “He put the stamp down. DJ Premier for all the classics…Nottz for the R. Kelly joint [Snoop Dogg’s ‘That’s That shyt’]…that was hard. That was crazy…[J] Dilla, for just [being] that new dude that came up from Mars that landed on Earth and just blasted everyone with his talent and left us. Madlib for all of the underground illness that he does, when he incorporates the excerpts that he uses and the funny stuff that he does. [That] makes me gravitate toward what he does…I had to throw [Dr.] Dre in their because The Chronic changed my life…so I got to say Dr. Dre, and hopefully one day we’ll get to collab
.”

Pete Rock got his wish when he got on the Pharmacy and did a track with Dre and Kurupt

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
This is Hip Hop what producer doesn't sample, Sampling is the foundation of Hip hop

hes referring to most of his samples being str8 loops.

most of his best beats are either loops or somebody else did most of the work.

Daz got his credit on The Chronic for his Drum programming

daz produced doggystyle.

Kool Kitty Kat

Caught Up
Daps
No. Daz made a few beats on "Doggystyle" and he never claimed he did the whole thing. You can believe Suge Knight if you want to though.