Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Why wasn't this shyt better? Started off so strong, too.

Why the goofy ass heist-esque twist/reveal at the end?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
My most disappointing flick of the year relative to the hype.

Love the 3 kids though

Yup, this and Me Earl and the Dying Girl both disappointed the hell out of me. Don't really like either one :beli:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yup, this and Me Earl and the Dying Girl both disappointed the hell out of me. Don't really like either one :beli:

I like that one mainly because of Earl but I can see why someone would not like it. The main character was a douche. I have no desire to ever see it again.

The three other people I went with hated it :pachaha:

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
movie was cool a lot of cringeworthy shyt like the excessive use of nikka being said by non black people in the movie.

I only laughed out loud once when stacey said his name

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Even the podcast juice guys were annoyed at the incessant use of the N word. Us and them seem to be the only ones pointing that out :mjpls:

Eagerly awaiting @TheGodling review

Well, I saw it tonight so here it finally is.

I liked it. A lot. I thought it took a while to get going, and the plot got a bit too out of hand ridiculous at the end, but it basically felt like a black indie hipster Boogie Nights to me. That might seem like a weird movie to compare it to but there was kind of a chaotic fukkery to the characters and world here that really reminded me of Boogie Nights, in particular the famous firecracker scene with the combo of suspenseful situations with outrageous and often funny madness.

After reading page after page of complaints about the N-word usage here, I'm not sure where those complaints come from? Outside of the scenes with the white stoner hacker (which I'll address later), I never really noticed much of the word being used. It's just there and maybe there's a site that counts these kinds of things like they do with "fukk" but I doubt they used it more than in movies like Boyz N The Hood or Menace II Society. And just to check that I wasn't going completely insane, I searched the N-word on the Coli, only in posts made in the past week, and got 192 results. You might want to take that in for a moment, then ask yourself whether the usage in the movie was incessant or accurate. Either way, I barely noticed it. Except for...

... the scene with the white guy, because they head-on addressed it and frankly, I had trouble placing it at first. In some ways it reminded me of the position I took on Dear White People, namely that race and race relations are far more complex and varied than most people would like to admit, and the movie tries to depict that. So you got a white guy who keeps wondering why he can't call them the N-word while they constantly call him that, you got the 'dark black' main who doesn't feel like the shyt is worth addressing, you got a mulatto girl who admittedly will slap the fire out of a white person for saying it and you got the Arabic kid claiming he gets a pass because he's 'ambiguously black'. And it kinda touches on all the levels of the debate. Why do guys like Jib (or real life guys like Fat Joe or DJ Khaled) get a pass? Why do black people like Diggy in the end (reluctantly or not) tolerate it? And most importantly, and I feel this one is very present in the movie but strangely not really mentioned, why the hell do so many white people want to say the word so bad anyway? Why do they refuse to accept that it's offensive so bad that they're practically harassing black people about wanting to say it? The movie never really addresses it directly, but the implication is certainly there. Then again the movie did make a dangerous choice having the characters tolerating it and I think that's one of the reasons the scene still kinda nags.

Which brings me to some of the posts about negative stereotypes. Because I didn't even catch on to how a lot of the characters, the Harvard graduate in particular, exercised in crime. At no point did I feel like there was a low-key implication of "making black people look bad". In fact, I think the only way a person could take it that way is if they were already looking down on black people to begin with, or overly concerned for the portrayal of black people. I mentioned it before in this thread, but I feel there's a trend of people acting like any negative characterization of a single black person in media, reflects badly on the race as a whole. And while there might be people for who this is the case, it should be clear that those people are racists and racists will always find ways to twist things so it feeds their racism. I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't let racism bother them, but it's important to keep in mind that racists will always do what racists do, whether you portray black people as magnificent as they can be, or as flawed as they can be, much like every other person in this world.

But back to the movie, the entire cast did great, Shameik Moore carried the movie really well but I particularly loved the little humorous subtleties of Kiersey Clemons' lesbian character (like her eye-fukking Lily almost more than the guys did when she first opened the door). Also thought Zoe Kravitz and Asap Rocky did good with their limited roles. The direction was good too, sometimes a bit too flashy and show-off-y for its own good but it certainly had more life to it than Dear White People did so in that sense this was a lot more enjoyable to watch. Oh, and I mentioned it's a black indie hipster movie and while some people might dislike it, it again goes with my point that even within the generally accepted monolith of 'the black race', like any race, there are many different kinds of people, who all live their lives differently, and that's a good thing.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Well, I saw it tonight so here it finally is.

I liked it. A lot. I thought it took a while to get going, and the plot got a bit too out of hand ridiculous at the end, but it basically felt like a black indie hipster Boogie Nights to me. That might seem like a weird movie to compare it to but there was kind of a chaotic fukkery to the characters and world here that really reminded me of Boogie Nights, in particular the famous firecracker scene with the combo of suspenseful situations with outrageous and often funny madness.

After reading page after page of complaints about the N-word usage here, I'm not sure where those complaints come from? Outside of the scenes with the white stoner hacker (which I'll address later), I never really noticed much of the word being used. It's just there and maybe there's a site that counts these kinds of things like they do with "fukk" but I doubt they used it more than in movies like Boyz N The Hood or Menace II Society. And just to check that I wasn't going completely insane, I searched the N-word on the Coli, only in posts made in the past week, and got 192 results. You might want to take that in for a moment, then ask yourself whether the usage in the movie was incessant or accurate. Either way, I barely noticed it. Except for...

... the scene with the white guy, because they head-on addressed it and frankly, I had trouble placing it at first. In some ways it reminded me of the position I took on Dear White People, namely that race and race relations are far more complex and varied than most people would like to admit, and the movie tries to depict that. So you got a white guy who keeps wondering why he can't call them the N-word while they constantly call him that, you got the 'dark black' main who doesn't feel like the shyt is worth addressing, you got a mulatto girl who admittedly will slap the fire out of a white person for saying it and you got the Arabic kid claiming he gets a pass because he's 'ambiguously black'. And it kinda touches on all the levels of the debate. Why do guys like Jib (or real life guys like Fat Joe or DJ Khaled) get a pass? Why do black people like Diggy in the end (reluctantly or not) tolerate it? And most importantly, and I feel this one is very present in the movie but strangely not really mentioned, why the hell do so many white people want to say the word so bad anyway? Why do they refuse to accept that it's offensive so bad that they're practically harassing black people about wanting to say it? The movie never really addresses it directly, but the implication is certainly there. Then again the movie did make a dangerous choice having the characters tolerating it and I think that's one of the reasons the scene still kinda nags.

Which brings me to some of the posts about negative stereotypes. Because I didn't even catch on to how a lot of the characters, the Harvard graduate in particular, exercised in crime. At no point did I feel like there was a low-key implication of "making black people look bad". In fact, I think the only way a person could take it that way is if they were already looking down on black people to begin with, or overly concerned for the portrayal of black people. I mentioned it before in this thread, but I feel there's a trend of people acting like any negative characterization of a single black person in media, reflects badly on the race as a whole. And while there might be people for who this is the case, it should be clear that those people are racists and racists will always find ways to twist things so it feeds their racism. I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't let racism bother them, but it's important to keep in mind that racists will always do what racists do, whether you portray black people as magnificent as they can be, or as flawed as they can be, much like every other person in this world.

But back to the movie, the entire cast did great, Shameik Moore carried the movie really well but I particularly loved the little humorous subtleties of Kiersey Clemons' lesbian character (like her eye-fukking Lily almost more than the guys did when she first opened the door). Also thought Zoe Kravitz and Asap Rocky did good with their limited roles. The direction was good too, sometimes a bit too flashy and show-off-y for its own good but it certainly had more life to it than Dear White People did so in that sense this was a lot more enjoyable to watch. Oh, and I mentioned it's a black indie hipster movie and while some people might dislike it, it again goes with my point that even within the generally accepted monolith of 'the black race', like any race, there are many different kinds of people, who all live their lives differently, and that's a good thing.

I think seeing it with my girls somehow made the language stand out a lot more to me. If I was alone I may not have noticed it as much. But it was definitely noticeable I'm not sure where you are talking about :mjpls:

There were a lot of things to like about this movie like I said. I absolutely love the three main cast members and the movie had a great energy to it. But it was also all over the place. And it also completely went away from some of the other characters and performances I liked in particular Zoe and rocky as you mentioned

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think seeing it with my girls somehow made the language stand out a lot more to me. If I was alone I may not have noticed it as much. But it was definitely noticeable I'm not sure where you are talking about :mjpls:

There were a lot of things to like about this movie like I said. I absolutely love the three main cast members and the movie had a great energy to it. But it was also all over the place. And it also completely went away from some of the other characters and performances I liked in particular Zoe and rocky as you mentioned

So basically you admit you're just being more self-conscious about the depiction of black people in media when in the company of others, huh? Interesting... :jbhmm:

And I did think it was poor writing that Zoe's character was basically absent for the entire second act, that's something they probably could've fixed easily if they wanted, but in the end I didn't let it bother me.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
So basically you admit you're just being more self-conscious about the depiction of black people in media when in the company of others, huh? Interesting... :jbhmm:

And I did think it was poor writing that Zoe's character was basically absent for the entire second act, that's something they probably could've fixed easily if they wanted, but in the end I didn't let it bother me.
No I'm saying the dialogue stood out like J Cole in that Krispy Kreme video from back in the day

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
No I'm saying the dialogue stood out like J Cole in that Krispy Kreme video from back in the day

So what you saying is that it accurately depicts how some individuals talk in real life? Interesting... :jbhmm:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Good movie

The dyke chick is in Extant

oexKYDa.jpg

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Saw it last night. It was entertaining. Chanel Iman :noah:

Edit: Just realized the dude who played the blood bully in high school in this also played Snoop the crip in Straight Outta Compton lol

Last edited:

Jards

All Star
Daps
Film was weak tbh - the highlight was seeing my nikka Stacey from the Wood as the school security guard :russ: