Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Jay Kast

Hidden Royalty
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
As an avid movie watcher, I was disappointed in this movie.

It started off with a lot of promise but eventually delved into stereotypical movie plot cliches.

As a black person, this movie really sucked.

It didnt break through stereotypes (not movie stereotypes, but social stereotypes) but instead reinforced it. Namely, at the beginning Malcolm professes that although he is black he does "white" things like aspires to go to college, likes anime- so on and so forth. What was missing was the "tongue-in-cheek" air that would've made it sarcastic- an acknowledgement of it BEING a preconceived notion, instead it was presented as-is at face value. Playing on that theme, the main characters' band is named "Awwwreeeoooh" or OREO- I specifically remember a lyric that said, "Black on the outside, white in the middle" or something to that effect. I imagined that a movie like this aimed towards young teenagers/adults would want to destroy these kinds of barriers instead of reinforcing them.

The word nikka was used, in my opinion, way too much. Even the characters mom SPOILER while getting blocked off by a man in a red car- while shes driving a bus uses the word nikka after it being boarded by said man who is in possession of a pistol. You're telling me that a single mother bus driver has absolutely no fear, and is moreso ANNOYED at the fact of being INCONVENIENCED that she would respond disparagingly to a gun wielding criminal in her face rather than panic, cower, or freeze up at a moment like that? Really?

Towards the latter half of the film, the shyt just gets about as outlandish as you can get. From the revelation of which character actually is the "king pin" to the remedial display of "authentication" during a bitcoin transfer. shyt got so ridiculous I couldnt even finish it in one watching, I kept becoming so uninterested that it took me three days to finish the last 25% of the movie.

EDIT- fukk this movie. Seriously. Its an updated caricature of "FRESH" with abominable racial shticks. 3.5/10

I also watched "Me, Earl & the Dying Girl" around the same time. Much more genuine and heartfelt-, though somewhat similar to "The Fault in Our Stars", it does enough different and well acted to the point where it is a good stand alone project. That one gets a 7.5 ... maybe an 8/10.

Last edited:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Soundtrack was on point
This. The soundtrack made me love the movie even more. I remember after i saw it earlier this summer LSA & Madame Noire were bashing it for the lack of brown skinned women. :heh: that completely went over my head cause i was so caught in the plot to care that i saw it was lacking brown skinned women. Thats usually something that would make or break something for me. But this time it didnt. THAT to me told me how great of a movie Dope is.

Daps
Just discovered them yesterday. Listened to 3 reviews this morning

I don't trust morris. He is a bitter gay man who hates everything. my boy at work and i read his reviews more as cant wait to see how he shyts on this.

he is the absolutely worst of this generation's snarky reviewers. I don't trust him at all.

After finally checking this shyt out properly (I was out my mind the first time), Wes was on point and then some.

This is perhaps the most insulting film I've seen in long time, on a racial, cultural, cinematic - everything in between - level. I'm reading through this thread thinking how could anyone possibly (besides the go-in-and-out-blind-with-my-Jaden-Smith-fist-in-the-air types), see any value whatsoever in this shyt. But if there lies the remote possibility Famuyiwa was trying to parodically convey whatever the hell was going on in that film, he's got my vote as the greatest writer/director in history.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
:russ: at the thought of Rocky being a drug kingpin and Tyga being a distributor. Asap rocky wouldnt have ever been casted in the role of a drug dealing gangsta for any 90's Cali flick:stopitslime:. Sounds like a case of delusional people expecting to see one thing from this movie when in reality it was the total opposite. :manny: Glad I went to see this movie with realistic expectations
:flabbynsick:

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
The acting was great in this flick.. but the movie felt all over the place and seemed like it didn't know WTF it wanted to be about or the studio came in and told the director to make the sh-t more marketable.. It went from coming of age flick in the hood to uptown saturday night with a drug dealing plot.. and then back to coming of age flick with a message about black youth in the last 5 minutes

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As an avid movie watcher, I was disappointed in this movie.

It started off with a lot of promise but eventually delved into stereotypical movie plot cliches.

As a black person, this movie really sucked.

It didnt break through stereotypes (not movie stereotypes, but social stereotypes) but instead reinforced it. Namely, at the beginning Malcolm professes that although he is black he does "white" things like aspires to go to college, likes anime- so on and so forth. What was missing was the "tongue-in-cheek" air that would've made it sarcastic- an acknowledgement of it BEING a preconceived notion, instead it was presented as-is at face value. Playing on that theme, the main characters' band is named "Awwwreeeoooh" or OREO- I specifically remember a lyric that said, "Black on the outside, white in the middle" or something to that effect. I imagined that a movie like this aimed towards young teenagers/adults would want to destroy these kinds of barriers instead of reinforcing them.

The word nikka was used, in my opinion, way too much. Even the characters mom SPOILER while getting blocked off by a man in a red car- while shes driving a bus uses the word nikka after it being boarded by said man who is in possession of a pistol. You're telling me that a single mother bus driver has absolutely no fear, and is moreso ANNOYED at the fact of being INCONVENIENCED that she would respond disparagingly to a gun wielding criminal in her face rather than panic, cower, or freeze up at a moment like that? Really?

Towards the latter half of the film, the shyt just gets about as outlandish as you can get. From the revelation of which character actually is the "king pin" to the remedial display of "authentication" during a bitcoin transfer. shyt got so ridiculous I couldnt even finish it in one watching, I kept becoming so uninterested that it took me three days to finish the last 25% of the movie.

EDIT- fukk this movie. Seriously. Its an updated caricature of "FRESH" with abominable racial shticks. 3.5/10

I also watched "Me, Earl & the Dying Girl" around the same time. Much more genuine and heartfelt-, though somewhat similar to "The Fault in Our Stars", it does enough different and well acted to the point where it is a good stand alone project. That one gets a 7.5 ... maybe an 8/10.
:scust: they should've called it New Black