Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

ralph lauren

Banned
Daps
not as obnoxious as "Dear White People" for sure.

The movie does do this gay ass pandering to every dweeb black kid that thinks they got picked on for being smart. They're in a punk band because Pharell wanted a way to squeeze his compositions in the movie, all those "punk" songs they performed were composed and written by Pharell.

It's like a 5/10 to me and I went in excited for this movie. I never bought into the whole "new blacks" thing nikkas on the internet complain about, but this really felt like a "new black" movie. A movie about black people but for a global audience, breaks everything down in a way that doesn't bother white and non-black folk too much. Hell, outside of Shameik aka Malcolm, most of the main characters are high yellow racially ambigious people and all the "dumb hood nikkas" that antagonize the main characters are actual darker black people.

A black movie for the tumblr generation that doesn't "see race", but it still had a lot the same tropes I would expect a white person that didn't know shyt about blacks in the hood to use. Like imagine a white person making a movie that opens with a main character complaining about living with blacks in the hood because they rob and pick on him for being smart, then having to sit in a theater with cacs thinking that is a accurate representation of the hood. Malcolm is sold to the audience as being a "good black" because he's "different" from the rest of the "not good blacks" in the hood; the thing is most blacks don't share shyt in common with Malcolm, hell Malcolm is kinda a c00n.

The movie still sells the black default as being bad, and unless you step out that default to like things like skateboarding, punk rock, and Game of Thrones (which I like a lot) while achieving academic greatness you're just a background "bad negro"

I sold itself on breaking down stereotypes but it didn't breakdown shyt.

EDIT: barely mentioned the technical parts of the film; it was well shot, but outside of the school security guard none of characters gave believable performances as kids that live in the hood in LA, Rocky was hood but he was a fukking Harlem nikka in the middle of South Central, NY accent and everything. The plot was very very convoluted and unbelievable plus the "insightful" parts felt like Damon Wayans was gonna pop out and yell "MESSAGEEEEEEEEEE!". Soundtrack was nice though.
like malcom said at the very end.. would any of this matter if he was white?

I think the film for all its surface-level privileging of self-pronounced "white things" doesn't actually care about white people or what white people think. See: "why can't I say 'nikka'" convo which is almost handwaved away as irrelevant (when not slapped) feel you though. There were a couple of things (almost all involving women) in DOPE that made me scratch my head.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Even the podcast juice guys were annoyed at the incessant use of the N word. Us and them seem to be the only ones pointing that out :mjpls:

Eagerly awaiting @TheGodling review

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Even the podcast juice guys were annoyed at the incessant use of the N word. Us and them seem to be the only ones pointing that out :mjpls:

Eagerly awaiting @TheGodling review

You might have to wait two months for that, breh (although I'm actually surprised we're supposed to be getting it so 'soon'). I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it more due to the fact my normally unfortunate birth defect of being born a cac works in my advantage for 'black movies' because I don't watch them with an ingrained sense that any negative representation of a single black person will negatively affect public perception of the entire race for evermore.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
You might have to wait two months for that, breh (although I'm actually surprised we're supposed to be getting it so 'soon'). I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it more due to the fact my normally unfortunate birth defect of being born a cac works in my advantage for 'black movies' because I don't watch them with an ingrained sense that any negative representation of a single black person will negatively affect public perception of the entire race for evermore.
Some of us may have half that defect :mjpls:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dope-2015

damn, another black movie reviewer more or less didnt like it. its like white writers love it, black writers hate it. odie henderson at RogerEbert .Com

I swear liberal white critics don't know how to judge black movies, so any movie with black people and heavy handed political message they just praise it to be on the safe side.

Watched fruitvale station last week with the same disappointment. Thought I would like it but the movie was low key trash/mediocre and a disgrace to Oscar Grant.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Didn't get to see a damn thing last weekend homie. Planned to see it but couldn't get to the theater. Definitely seeing it this weekend or Thursday after work
I was a little disappointed. But it's been on my mind since I saw it

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, I had a feeling this was going to be a "new black" film when i read that the protagonist was in a punk rock band.