Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Im already turnt of by Rocky playing a Cali nikka with his NY accent...

Like you, bad accents or wrong accents are one of my biggest pet peeves.
Think about it like this, who from the West could've fit that Rocky role properly? Someone young, relevant, PMFer, fashion guru while also legit seeming like a thug?

And yeah, you say someone that's not a rapper could've tried to imitate it, but that personal knowledge of Rocky IRL, added another level. I'm not mad because that character seemed more designed around Rocky than vice versa.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Maybe im old but the movie def aint like the wood as this wasnt really a relatable film to me but more so just a movie. That said movie was good, didnt like the force usage of the N word as none of the folks in the movie minus Rocky even sounded comfortable or natural saying it. This seems like a good all around movie but not a movie that has a place forever in the culture like The Wood.

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Im already turnt of by Rocky playing a Cali nikka with his NY accent...

Like you, bad accents or wrong accents are one of my biggest pet peeves.
only believable black character in the whole movie was the security guard.
Was excited going in, disappointed coming out.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Need more black teen movies on this scale. The whole 90s centric thing was not even necessary or a vital piece of the story and I'm a 90s head all day.

So true. They intro'ed it and dropped it like 10 minutes into the movie. Then threw on the dances at the end.

gOXdaSn.png

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I just got back from it. I would say it's a good movie and encourage others to see it. If only because it's something different.

But if I put my nitpicky critic hat on then I have to say...

The plot started getting REALLY convoluted. I have no idea why the blood dudes stopped chasing them nor do I understand the logic of AJ making them sell it. I get that the blood dude was in jail but he probably had homies... anyway, I don't see how that got resolved so quickly.

The movie jumped the shark when they started built a Molly empire on school grounds. :comeon:

I saw this shyt in a Cali theater (on the white side :mjpls: ) but I'm interested to see the reaction from real life Bloods. They were clowning them the WHOLE movie. :mjlol:

The whole n-word scene was cringeworthy but I fell back and realized that's how these young kids are. They let it slide.

I refuse to believe he so easily strong-armed AJ like that at the end. But I can roll with it given everything else.

Like I said, I still think it's a good movie and I encourage people to see it. It's not as good as the damn hype made it seem but I'm proud a movie like this got made. :salute:

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
I understand why it was done but I wasnt feeling all the n words being use.

Also, I wish more west coast music was used.

Skip skip :skip:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
Good movie like how they did mix the 90's nostalgia while keeping it in today's time frame. Also love the speech at the end.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I feel like the young 90s kids will get that culture feeling from it. They are the ones who are into the shyt that Malcolm and his friends are into like boarding , weird clothes, punk rock. It definitely is aimed towards them but still us 80s babies can enjoy this flick too. I was shocked how deverse the audience was in the theater..there were like white people who were 50+..some of them were eve married couples. Man that girl Lilly was :banderas: and Diddys son was hilarious :laff: ol boy from workaholics did his thing and was funnier and less :scust: than his homie was in that last Chris Rock flick. I'm gonna get this on blu ray and I NEVER buy movies.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
It was ok but kinda all jumbled to me. The N-word was forced as hell and was annoying tho. The white guy seemed more natural saying it than everyone else ironically. The whole mini-romance didn't have a natural feel to it either.I didn't see how this even fit in the coming of age category tbh. I'll buy the dvd and watch it again but not in theaters.

6.5/10 :francis:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
First, I don't like that they advertised the 90's angle to reach the 28-43 demographic, yet aside from the dikkriding of 90s fashion and music thats prevalent among kids, this wasn't about anything 90's...except the Stacey shoutout :myman:

That said, the movie was entertaining, i definitely agree parts of the plot were a stretch. The movie really is intended for folks 25 and under, people are saying it didn't contain a sense of culture, but I think it embodies the exact way these kids act, their world, how they see things. This movie kinda made me feel old lol...but yea, I can't shyt on their depiction of the world of these hipster/skinny jean wearing young blacks.

Another gripe I had was them being a punk band...like you're all into hip hop yet you choose punk? Do punk bands still exist?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
First, I don't like that they advertised the 90's angle to reach the 28-43 demographic, yet aside from the dikkriding of 90s fashion and music thats prevalent among kids, this wasn't about anything 90's...except the Stacey shoutout :myman:

That said, the movie was entertaining, i definitely agree parts of the plot were a stretch. The movie really is intended for folks 25 and under, people are saying it didn't contain a sense of culture, but I think it embodies the exact way these kids act, their world, how they see things. This movie kinda made me feel old lol...but yea, I can't shyt on their depiction of the world of these hipster/skinny jean wearing young blacks.

Another gripe I had was them being a punk band...like you're all into hip hop yet you choose punk? Do punk bands still exist?

I mean i was born in 88 so i live through the culture they were trying to display and it wasnt there, the kids in this movie were born probable after 95, so i understand how they were facisnated with a culture they did not get to enjoy but that said the movie didnt display anything as a black person i could relate to. For example the Wood was set in the 80s and 90s but i swear black folks of all demographics could relate. I guess the kids of today are just weirdo and too "intregrated" or something idk. Even so called nerds of our day still could be relatable. Then for them to be so wowed by 90s rap but to be a wack Punk band? Lol. Once again movie is good but this isnt a "black" movie which is not a bad thing bit this wont do down on our list of classics. Black culture has no time barrier, black folks now can still relate to wha happened in movies like House Party or shows like A different world.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Didn't see it yet but would you guys say it's better than Mario Van Peebles "We The Party." it came out about three years ago and BET used to show it.