Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Which is true and why I say it does reflect their upbringing. My nephes is 18 and that's how it is for him up here in the bay. But I don't think we'll have any more movies that become part of "the culture" being that black entertainment and culture has basically all but dissolved, I think people need to get used to that (or act to change it). We don't have an insular black culture anymore.

Maybe on the West Coast, lol We still have Culture down in Atlanta.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Maybe on the West Coast, lol We still have Culture down in Atlanta.
I'm talking in entertainment...you don't have the plethora of black tv shows, you don't have black comedian showcases like def comedy jam or comic view, black magazines have been placed on the back burner or are damn near irrelevant, r&b has disappeared from the mainstream and hip hop doesn't dominate pop culture like it did in the mid 90's-early 00's, there aren't "black talk shows", there aren't black movies....the 70's-early 00's birthed tons of black entertainment geared toward blacks, that's not the case now.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is the thing, I kid when the Wood Came out, Friday, House Party, etc yet all those movies had elements blacks of all age ranges could relate to. The issue of this film, and really I won't call it an issue but more so some of us if not many of us went into this thinking this would follow the legacy of "Black Films" of the past, and this is not a black film, this just a movie with a black main character, that is not a bad thing, but once again this will not be remembered when it comes to the "culture" but more so just a good movie. This movie did not make me feel the vibe of Cali outside of just the landmarks like other films based in Cali did where you can feel the culture of the town, but then again this could be because blacks got ran out/migrated out of LA compared to back in the day :mjpls:.

Thats exactly what I expected going into the movie:yeshrug:. No way did I expect this to be a Boyz in the Hood or Menace to Society, starring asap Rocky:mjlol:. Those days of movies like that BEEN over with. No way would a major production company put money into a movie that portrays the modern day struggle, that genre is for the straight to DVD movies. I expected a movie which would appeal to a white/hipster/millennium tumbler generation and that is exactly what I got. Did yall not watch the previews or see who was staring in this movie? This is the region and generation that gives us a Taylor swift feat kendrick song, mr. new black himself Pharrell helped produced it...y'all really thought they would push a real black experience, gangsta movie to the masses? :dahell:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Thats exactly what I expected going into the movie:yeshrug:. No way did I expect this to be a Boyz in the Hood or Menace to Society, starring asap Rocky:mjlol:. Those days of movies like that BEEN over with. No way would a major production company put money into a movie that portrays the modern day struggle, that genre is for the straight to DVD movies. I expected a movie which would appeal to a white/hipster/millennium tumbler generation and that is exactly what I got. Did yall not watch the previews or see who was staring in this movie? This is the region and generation that gives us a Taylor swift feat kendrick song, mr. new black himself Pharrell helped produced it...y'all really thought they would push a real black experience, gangsta movie to the masses? :dahell:
nobody said "gangsta movie" as crime is not synonymous with the black experience. House Party is not a Boyz n da hood type flick, nor was The Inkwell, yet both are Classics within the Culture.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nobody said "gangsta movie" as crime is not synonymous with the black experience. House Party is not a Boyz n da hood type flick, nor was The Inkwell, yet both are Classics within the Culture.
Do you associate zoe kravitiz, pharrell and asap rocky with the black experience?

edit: along w/ tyga and chanel iman?

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
has nothing to do with the story line and actors used. Rocky nailed his role, Pharrell is not in the movie just a producer,and Zoe role was minimal, and she sounded uncomfortable saying the N word.
:russ: at the thought of Rocky being a drug kingpin and Tyga being a distributor. Asap rocky wouldnt have ever been casted in the role of a drug dealing gangsta for any 90's Cali flick:stopitslime:. Sounds like a case of delusional people expecting to see one thing from this movie when in reality it was the total opposite. :manny: Glad I went to see this movie with realistic expectations

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:russ: at the thought of Rocky being a drug kingpin and Tyga being a distributor. Asap rocky wouldnt have ever been casted in the role of a drug dealing gangsta for any 90's Cali flick:stopitslime:. Sounds like a case of delusional people expecting to see one thing from this movie when in reality it was the total opposite. :manny: Glad I went to see this movie with realistic expectations
:what:

Koapa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Arlington, Tx.
This is actually a pretty good. Give me a good script and good actors, and you can have my $10 dollars.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
What's everybody's opinion on how they were clowning the Bloods in the movie? I'm curious to know if any real gang members have expressed their disappointment or anger towards that portrayal.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I liked parts of this movie but was kinda disappointed with other parts.
For some reason I feel like comparing this movie to Dear White People even though the stories are very different. But Dear White People >>>Dope. Imo

Anyway A$AP ROCKY was good in his role. Tyga was not a good fit for his role.
Also I think the main characters varied interest was great to see because blacks and other groups have varied interest and that doesn't get shown enough or validated enough on film imo.

It had a great start though but couldn't keep it up through out.
The N word felt mad forced and at times borderline cringeworthy. However I think it may be a reflection of how kids talk these days and relate to each other and I can relate to that.
Some of the statements the film or the protagonist tried to make felt underdeveloped but even then, I think it may be understandable because I think that is a reflection also. Props for atleast trying making a statement I guess.

The drug dealing stuff had some unbelievable portrayals though in its plot.
But I think the protagonist naivete was believable though.
I also am not sure if this is a great "date" type of movie either because of some of the topics and content.
I wonder if this movie can be the cult film for a generation? Not sure cause every era should have one imo.
Thecoli kinda had me hyped to see this film but I kinda regret seeing it. I dunno but for some reason I would not mind checking it again on dvd/netflix etc. Just cuz.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
What's everybody's opinion on how they were clowning the Bloods in the movie? I'm curious to know if any real gang members have expressed their disappointment or anger towards that portrayal.

The wannabe was getting clowned more so, but it seemed like at first they were flirting in dangerous territory.

RajWatts

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shout to producers Pharrell & Diddy. could definitely see this as a new classic. Funny, original, creative flick.

oh and why tha fuk is everyone mentioning tyga? dude has a 2 minute cameo at most. Shameik is the star and he knocked it out the park