Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

Spin

All Star
Daps
Movie was much better than I expected after having seen the trailer awhile back. I think this movie accomplished what the goal of "Dear White People" was without being forced or preachy.

Really liked the evolution of Malcolm's personal statement for college. It began with him writing about Ice Cube, but like the counselor (or whoever it was) said it contained nothing about the characters own life. Malcolm started out as a "nerd" with no real world experience so his only point of reference was his obsession with 90's hip-hop. Over the course of the movie after gaining "real world" experience, he is able to craft a statement that is personal. Overall this is a small detail in the movie, but I felt it really hits home about the difference in just being smart in this world vs having brains and experience.

This movie is definitely aimed at the youth, but should be enjoyable to anyone.

RajWatts

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dope.png

:leon:

JealousOnesEn_V

HTX Certified
Daps
Just got back from watching it, i thoroughly enjoyed it. Great film. It's been getting good reviews as well.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Cool movie. The main character was great. I hope he gets more shine. The dyke chick was cool, too

The usage and pseudo-intellectual narrative of "nikka" :snoop:. The used it entirely tooo much and everytime that lil Latin kid said it irked me (Tyga too)

Some of the scenes were just awkward, but nothing to really nitpick about, but setting up distribution in a school was just :beli:

The Stacy cameo was dope :deadrose:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The usage and pseudo-intellectual narrative of "nikka" :snoop:. The used it entirely tooo much and everytime that lil Latin kid said it irked me (Tyga too)

They mentioned it in the trailer with Blake (from Workaholics) asking if he could use it. He didn't use a lot did he?

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
i was definitely :whoa: at all the drug references in a movie about high school kids....especially bringing up the deep web and shyt. But the ending made me understand why this wasn't just straight to DVD/Netflix.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Nas I said in the other thread I loved it!!! The music was :blessed:and the story wa :jawalrus:. And the my favorite character was Stacy. I mean :krs: they brought him back!!!! The one thing I wasn't feeling was Malcolm's flat top. It just didn't sit right with me. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
My nikka said its a hispter version of the wood not as funny tho

Checkin it out tonight
Best way to describe it..

Saw the movie yesterday and pretty much i agree with everybody says when they say it's a urban classic for the new generation.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
As a person this movie was intended to (adolescents), basically everything about this movie was spot on. The use of nikka, the throwback music selection, the darknet (most nikkas don't know bout it, but the ones who do...), pretty much every gang moment. Spot on movie, I can tell Pharrell really asked around to get this movie correct.

This movie is a solid 9/10 from me