Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
man, how is this movie?

I fell for the hype with "Dear White People", and it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not making that mistake again black movie or not.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man, how is this movie?

I fell for the hype with "Dear White People", and it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not making that mistake again black movie or not.
Dont go in expecting a well drawn out plot with great suspense, or any oscar winning performances BUT the movie was entertaining, had a few situational funny scenes and a few cool cameos. imo its a good, fun, entertaining movie. It'll def age the 28 and up crowd but its good to see the millenniums finally make somewhat original art thats not a reboot. If u got the $10 and a few hours to burn, go for it but dont go in expecting a masterpiece.

edit: music score didnt tie in but they played alotta east coast classics. Im sure you've never heard or will hear some of the songs in a major motion picture again

Chanel Iman and Zoe:banderas::banderas:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
man, how is this movie?

not as obnoxious as "Dear White People" for sure.

The movie does do this gay ass pandering to every dweeb black kid that thinks they got picked on for being smart. They're in a punk band because Pharell wanted a way to squeeze his compositions in the movie, all those "punk" songs they performed were composed and written by Pharell.

It's like a 5/10 to me and I went in excited for this movie. I never bought into the whole "new blacks" thing nikkas on the internet complain about, but this really felt like a "new black" movie. A movie about black people but for a global audience, breaks everything down in a way that doesn't bother white and non-black folk too much. Hell, outside of Shameik aka Malcolm, most of the main characters are high yellow racially ambigious people and all the "dumb hood nikkas" that antagonize the main characters are actual darker black people.

A black movie for the tumblr generation that doesn't "see race", but it still had a lot the same tropes I would expect a white person that didn't know shyt about blacks in the hood to use. Like imagine a white person making a movie that opens with a main character complaining about living with blacks in the hood because they rob and pick on him for being smart, then having to sit in a theater with cacs thinking that is a accurate representation of the hood. Malcolm is sold to the audience as being a "good black" because he's "different" from the rest of the "not good blacks" in the hood; the thing is most blacks don't share shyt in common with Malcolm, hell Malcolm is kinda a c00n.

The movie still sells the black default as being bad, and unless you step out that default to like things like skateboarding, punk rock, and Game of Thrones (which I like a lot) while achieving academic greatness you're just a background "bad negro"

I sold itself on breaking down stereotypes but it didn't breakdown shyt.

EDIT: barely mentioned the technical parts of the film; it was well shot, but outside of the school security guard none of characters gave believable performances as kids that live in the hood in LA, Rocky was hood but he was a fukking Harlem nikka in the middle of South Central, NY accent and everything. The plot was very very convoluted and unbelievable plus the "insightful" parts felt like Damon Wayans was gonna pop out and yell "MESSAGEEEEEEEEEE!". Soundtrack was nice though.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
not as obnoxious as "Dear White People" for sure.

The movie does do this gay ass pandering to every dweeb black kid that thinks they got picked on for being smart.

It's like a 5/10 to me and I went in excited for this movie.

I think vince staples rocky and diddys son would have been dope as the main 3

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I mean i was born in 88 so i live through the culture they were trying to display and it wasnt there, the kids in this movie were born probable after 95, so i understand how they were facisnated with a culture they did not get to enjoy but that said the movie didnt display anything as a black person i could relate to. For example the Wood was set in the 80s and 90s but i swear black folks of all demographics could relate. I guess the kids of today are just weirdo and too "intregrated" or something idk. Even so called nerds of our day still could be relatable. Then for them to be so wowed by 90s rap but to be a wack Punk band? Lol. Once again movie is good but this isnt a "black" movie which is not a bad thing bit this wont do down on our list of classics. Black culture has no time barrier, black folks now can still relate to wha happened in movies like House Party or shows like A different world.
Ehh, at 27 I don't think you're in their demographic either. In Cali especially, I think they did a decent job of explaining their world, those traditional black cultural lines don't really exist out here for the younger generation, even when I was a teen/early 20's we had blurred lines as well, but we came up during a time where black culture was more prevalent - movies, music, comedians, TV , magazines, events all catered to african Americans. I don't know what yall want from characters who explicitly don't fit the "black" mold.

Even the wood wasn't "black"...it was typical teen lives outside of the whole gang member older brother.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Ehh, at 27 I don't think you're in their demographic either. In Cali especially, I think they did a decent job of explaining their world, those traditional black cultural lines don't really exist out here for the younger generation, even when I was a teen/early 20's we had blurred lines as well, but we came up during a time where black culture was more prevalent - movies, music, comedians, TV , magazines, events all catered to african Americans. I don't know what yall want from characters who explicitly don't fit the "black" mold.

Even the wood wasn't "black"...it was typical teen lives outside of the whole gang member older brother.

This is the thing, I kid when the Wood Came out, Friday, House Party, etc yet all those movies had elements blacks of all age ranges could relate to. The issue of this film, and really I won't call it an issue but more so some of us if not many of us went into this thinking this would follow the legacy of "Black Films" of the past, and this is not a black film, this just a movie with a black main character, that is not a bad thing, but once again this will not be remembered when it comes to the "culture" but more so just a good movie. This movie did not make me feel the vibe of Cali outside of just the landmarks like other films based in Cali did where you can feel the culture of the town, but then again this could be because blacks got ran out/migrated out of LA compared to back in the day :mjpls:.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This is the thing, I kid when the Wood Came out, Friday, House Party, etc yet all those movies had elements blacks of all age ranges could relate to. The issue of this film, and really I won't call it an issue but more so some of us if not many of us went into this thinking this would follow the legacy of "Black Films" of the past, and this is not a black film, this just a movie with a black main character, that is not a bad thing, but once again this will not be remembered when it comes to the "culture" but more so just a good movie. This movie did not make me feel the vibe of Cali outside of just the landmarks like other films based in Cali did where you can feel the culture of the town, but then again this could be because blacks got ran out/migrated out of LA compared to back in the day :mjpls:.
Which is true and why I say it does reflect their upbringing. My nephes is 18 and that's how it is for him up here in the bay. But I don't think we'll have any more movies that become part of "the culture" being that black entertainment and culture has basically all but dissolved, I think people need to get used to that (or act to change it). We don't have an insular black culture anymore.