Doordashers are messaging customers BEFORE delivery and demanding a bigger tip

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
We're the only main 1st world country that does this tip system. Europeans don't do this and they have comparable costs of living. Australia the same. They pay higher taxes but receive more from their government in benefits.
And there it is!
giphy.gif

No one said you had to make 40 bucks an hour but if you can't afford to pay your people a decent wage in order to have a functioning business, then you shouldn't be in business.
Now, for this subpar food, will you still patronize when the costs are passed down to consumers? On the flip, if the pay isn't up to your level, you also don't have to apply for the job :manny:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
I ordered GoPuff last week and the guy texted me saying “I left it at concierge, I’m not walkin up to your door for $4 tip.”

I responded with “bet how’s $0 tip smell?” And filed a report with goPuff citing the incident and asking that my tip be removed :yeshrug:

Daps
I'm not broke gang, but tipping entitlement has gone nuts. This whole culture is making me nostalgic of fuddruckers - you know, order food at counter, pickup food at counter, get the red plastic cup for my soda to fill by myself and pick my seat with no weird tipping games.

UNATTACHED

OMG What happened to Virgil?
Daps
I've done dd and uber eats on and off since 2017. Those drivers are just some begging mfs. They both show you how much you will get paid for a delivery before you accept it and you can see the restaurant and the miles you will have to drive.

If you know the order isn't worth it you can just decline the order. It does not affect your account if you decline orders. My acceptance rate on doordash is 18% :mjlol:. I haven't done either since 2021 tho.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
And there it is!
giphy.gif

Now, for this subpar food, will you still patronize when the costs are passed down to consumers? On the flip, if the pay isn't up to your level, you also don't have to apply for the job :manny:

If the product is good, people will pay. If it's trash, they won't. That's how it works. I'll pay a premium for good shyt (cheap ends up costing more long term).

If Doordash ain't paying enough, they won't have enough workers and will be forced to up the pay. OR go out of business. That's how it should be.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I think their plan was to float on VC money and wait for drones or atonomous cars.

just watched an CNBC video on drones, and none of these companies are remotely close to being able to deliver shyt efficiently with drones. like they are soooo many years behind. same goes for autonomous cars.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This is why I pick up my own food. The tip and extra fees on top of the food price is damn near worse than wasting the gas to go get it yourself.

EVERY place I regularly order from is within a 5 min drive from my crib. waiting on delivery literally makes ZERO sense. plus it cost a TON more.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always tip $5 or $6 in advance. I don’t want my food sitting around for 30 or 45 minutes because they see $2.50 and ignore the order.

The pay really should be better for them; but this is unacceptable. If you don’t like the pay, don’t take the order. Just wait for the next one That pays more

DoorDash is taking too much. If the order with tip is $27 total and the underlying food only costs $11, then 80% of that difference should be going to the driver. That’s like $12. You do two drives per hour. You making above $20/hr. But DD wants to take half and give the driver peanuts. It’s doesn’t make sense. DD has millions of orders per day. Even if they’re getting 20% of the order ($4-$5) that’s a fukk ton of money on a daily basis for DD.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Why would the industry change when they have zero incentive to? Ok, you don't like what we pay, quit. They'll be more low skilled workers behind you to fill the void. Again, y'all conflating Euro standards of living with America when they're wait staffs on avg, make the equivalent of the "Living wage" we were told the min. wage needed to be. Them Euro wait staffs aren't living any better. They just have more of a social security blanket in most places to make up the difference.
You stated," The service industry would be bare bones..." I responded why there is no reason why the industry couldn't change. Will the industry change, is a different discussion entirely. If people start tipping less, then absolutely the industry will be forced to change. In college, I worked every position except chef in one restaurant (Host, Busboy, Waiter, Bartender, Expediter, Manager). The success of a restaurant depends on the quality of its waitstaff as much as the quality of its food. If Morton's Steakhouse swapped waitstaff with the closest Denny's, that Morton's would go out of business in 6 months. So when the amount in tips drops, so does the quality of the waitstaff as many will just quit. Restaurant owners will be forced to compensate to maintain the quality of waitstaff to thrive or even survive. BTW, while you can definitely train someone with zero experience to work at a Chili's or Olive Garden, top tier restaurants won't even attempt it. They only hire experienced waitstaff. I once got turned down by a restaurant because I didn't know which grapes were used to make a Merlot vs a Cabernet. The cost of living differences between European and American waitstaff isn't really relevant, its just a basic supply and demand issue.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I Was Being Lazy As Fukk Once And Ordered Popeyes On UberEats

2 Meals And An Extra Mash Cost $46 BEFORE Tip And Their Service Charge!

I Said Fukk That, I Pulled Up The Popeyes Site, And Used My Points (Had No Idea I Even Had An Account) PLUS A Coupon That Happen To Apply For What I Wanted. I Elected To Pick It Up Myself

shyt Was $15 !

I Literally Have The Receipts As Proof

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
There is no path to profitability and can literally cannot profit without indentured servitude. Doordash and uber have exactly zero profitable years in existence, and there is no way they can ever make money. With the end of cheap credit and patient equity partners (ie, they actually want a ROE) i expect an absolute collapse in this sector by 4Q23.

none of these apps we use to either deliver food move people have been able to turn a profit. it's kinda :mindblown: when you think about it.

the ONLY successful app that's able to deliver goods is amazon. but amazon has a whole next level when it comes to economies of scale vs these tech startups.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
The service industry would be bare bones if they did. I'll find the post I made the other day where some spots in pretty big metros started paying their people the local min. wage ($15+) and they couldn't keep waiters/waitresses because they were making LESS THAN what they were pulling in from non-min. wage gigs on an hourly basis. I know it's on the high end but there was one guy who said why would he go work for $22 /hr when he was was damn near $40 /hr due to the tips he was getting.
serving and bartending are also low-skilled jobs you kinda get paid for what you're worth (not to sound shallow). These are also jobs that require 0 schooling or formal education.

getting $22/hour to wait tables is wild cause what about the factory workers or manual labour jobs that require all the physical demand, and no tipping is involved?