Doordashers are messaging customers BEFORE delivery and demanding a bigger tip

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I have more than a few bartender peoples and the expectation is to leave with a couple hundred a night, at least 2 which is bonkers to me but hey I'm not in the life.
For decades, bartending and waitstaff jobs were GOAT unskilled jobs. In the mid 90s, I use to make $500 cash a week for 25 hrs work as a waiter in a low tier restaurant. A bartender at TGiFridays was taking home $800-$1500/week. To put things in perspective, minimum wage back then was around $3.65/hr and rent for my 2 bedroom apartment was only $600/month, which I split with roommates. I use to buy sneakers from the loose change I collected over the week, and regularly find $20 bills in my laundry. Cheesecake Factory use to give ever general manager of its restaurants a BMW 318i as a company car back then, and I guarantee a bartender there could afford to buy one. The money in the field is obviously drying up. Over the years the pay has only slightly increased, but the cost of living has skyrocketed since then.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
no, they deserve to be paid properly by the company that employs/contracts them.
i agree, but they aint finna do it lol

that's more money out of their own pockets. Its why these jobs are classified under "gig" economy.

Kids delivering newspapers are somewhere laughing right now

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
For decades, bartending and waitstaff jobs were GOAT unskilled jobs. In the mid 90s, I use to make $500 cash a week for 25 hrs work as a waiter in a low tier restaurant. A bartender at TGiFridays was taking home $800-$1500/week. To put things in perspective, minimum wage back then was around $3.65/hr and rent for my 2 bedroom apartment was only $600/month, which I split with roommates. I use to buy sneakers from the loose change I collected over the week, and regularly find $20 bills in my laundry. Cheesecake Factory use to give ever general manager of its restaurants a BMW 318i as a company car back then, and I guarantee a bartender there could afford to buy one. The money in the field is obviously drying up. Over the years the pay has only slightly increased, but the cost of living has skyrocketed since then.
bruh, i remember working at peason airport. Some of the managers were legit ENVIOUS cause wait staff made more money than them due to tipping :mjlol:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
How about do like every other country and actually pay your people so they don't rely on tips?
The service industry would be bare bones if they did. I'll find the post I made the other day where some spots in pretty big metros started paying their people the local min. wage ($15+) and they couldn't keep waiters/waitresses because they were making LESS THAN what they were pulling in from non-min. wage gigs on an hourly basis. I know it's on the high end but there was one guy who said why would he go work for $22 /hr when he was was damn near $40 /hr due to the tips he was getting.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The service industry would be bare bones if they did. I'll find the post I made the other day where some spots in pretty big metros started paying their people the local min. wage ($15+) and they couldn't keep waiters/waitresses because they were making LESS THAN what they were pulling in from non-min. wage gigs on an hourly basis. I know it's on the high end but there was one guy who said why would he go work for $22 /hr when he was was damn near $40 /hr due to the tips he was getting.

You're not entitled to a successful business tho :yeshrug: .

Other countries with restaurants manage to know and understand this and they have no problems payin a living wage for people to work at their restaurants without tips.

Less fast food spots and more people cooking at home might not be a bad thing either.

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
You're not entitled to a successful business tho. Any other countries with restaurants manage to know and understand this and they have no problems payin a living wage for people to work at their restaurants without tips.
And if I'm a business owner, you're not entitled to be making $40 /hr when more skilled jobs are making less. Not many countries have a high cost of living like us either. And a fact that folks fail to acknowledge is, the service industry workers overseas aren't living a life of luxury either. Those spots are paying them the bare minimum because they know if they strike, they'll just hire more foreigners/undocumented workers. Waiters/waitresses in Europe make the equivalent of $15 /hr with way higher taxes to pay.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

No. The industry would simply change. Those use to making $20-$30/hr at places like Chilis, Fridays, or Cheesecake Factory, would absolutely quit, but plenty of people from other low hourly wage service jobs would take over those positions. High end restaurants would simply pay its waitstaff and bartenders a reasonable salary like they do in Europe. There is nothing unique about the restaurant industry in the US that it can't run like it does in Europe.

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
No. The industry would simply change. Those use to making $20-$30/hr at places like Chilis, Fridays, or Cheesecake Factory, would absolutely quit, but plenty of people from other low hourly wage service jobs would take over those positions. High end restaurants would simply pay its waitstaff and bartenders a reasonable salary like they do in Europe. There is nothing unique about the restaurant industry in the US that it can't run like it does in Europe.
Why would the industry change when they have zero incentive to? Ok, you don't like what we pay, quit. They'll be more low skilled workers behind you to fill the void. Again, y'all conflating Euro standards of living with America when they're wait staffs on avg, make the equivalent of the "Living wage" we were told the min. wage needed to be. Them Euro wait staffs aren't living any better. They just have more of a social security blanket in most places to make up the difference.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
And if I'm a business owner, you're not entitled to be making $40 /hr when more skilled jobs are making less.

Completely agree. No one said you had to make 40 bucks an hour but if you can't afford to pay your people a decent wage in order to have a functioning business, then you shouldn't be in business.

Not many countries have a high cost of living like us either. And a fact that folks fail to acknowledge is, the service industry workers overseas aren't living a life of luxury either. Waiters/waitresses in Europe make the equivalent of $15 /hr with way higher taxes to pay.
We're the only main 1st world country that does this tip system. Europeans don't do this and they have comparable costs of living. Australia the same. They pay higher taxes but receive more from their government in benefits.

If your business profile requires paying minimum wage to most of your workforce in order to function then that is not a good business model.