Don't Look Up (Adam McKay) - Dicaprio, Blanchett, Lawrence, Streep, Hill, Chalamet, Cudi, Grande

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Breh, there's no need for you get all turned up just based on what one person took away from a character's mannerisms, goddamn :mjlol:

All I'm saying is even though he's clearly an amalagamation of tech billionaires, they possibly threw in some shots at Biden too. That's it:hubie:
This movie wrapped a few weeks after Biden was sworn in as president and was written before the 2020 election cycle started.

The character is an amalgamation of the tech billionaires. The president is a combination of Trump and Hillary.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thought I was the only one who felt this way
Movies like this always assume the audience is stupid, I guess in an effort to reach more people
The most obnoxious critique about this film is that it's not subtle. I feel like a lot of critics get off on providing "deep" insights into the nuances and layered meanings of these kinds of films, and this film robbed them of their chance to feel clever. It's just a straight forward story that maps directly to our current situation. That's ok. Get over it.

I can understand if someone didn't like it cause the jokes fell flat or whatever. But complaining about it not being subtle is like not liking a painting cause it didn't have enough red in it. Who said there has to be red? Is being subtle a virtue now?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
The most obnoxious critique about this film is that it's not subtle. I feel like a lot of critics get off on providing "deep" insights into the nuances and layered meanings of these kinds of films, and this film robbed them of their chance to feel clever. It's just a straight forward story that maps directly to our current situation. That's ok. Get over it.

I can understand if someone didn't like it cause the jokes fell flat or whatever. But complaining about it not being subtle is like not liking a painting cause it didn't have enough red in it. Who said there has to be red? Is being subtle a virtue now?
That’s a bad analogy
For a movie so long a lot of it is about nothing
Could’ve chopped an hour of irrelevant scenes and characters

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s a bad analogy
....this is the part where you say why it's a bad analogy, otherwise nobody knows what you're talking about.
...a lot of it is about nothing
It's definitely about something. You might not be interested in its message or the characters but its hard to be "not subtle" and "about nothing" at the same time.
Could’ve chopped an hour of irrelevant scenes and characters
Pacing is a legitimate critique. Everyone wants good pacing. Not everyone cares about subtlety.
I kind of agree the movie could be trimmed down a bit, but it wasn't a big deal

Still don't know what any of that has to do with my analogy but it's whatever...

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
....this is the part where you say why it's a bad analogy, otherwise nobody knows what you're talking about.

It's definitely about something. You might not be interested in its message or the characters but its hard to be "not subtle" and "about nothing" at the same time.

Pacing is a legitimate critique. Everyone wants good pacing. Not everyone cares about subtlety.
I kind of agree the movie could be trimmed down a bit, but it wasn't a big deal

Still don't know what any of that has to do with my analogy but it's whatever...
Nuance is what separates intricate stories from children’s tales, if your rebuttal to that is it’s a matter of preference you might as well tune into Nick Jr.
This movie has zero depth, clearly why they opted for a star studded cast
the black doctor should’ve had more of a part in the story, Jonah Hill’s character was useless and unnecessary, so was the whole focus on Dr. Mindy’s relationship with the reporter
Wasn’t terrible though, the tv speech and them sticking to the doomsday ending was a decent payoff
6/10 is fair in my opinion :ehh:

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nuance is what separates intricate stories from children’s tales, if your rebuttal to that is it’s a matter of preference you might as well tune into Nick Jr.
Nuance and subtlety are different, but I can let that go.
I think there's room for telling straight forward stories without needing it be complex, "intricate" or multilayered. Sometimes I like my food spicy; sometimes I don't. It's all in the execution.

Titanic's just about a ship wreck. Jurassic Park is just about escaped dinosaurs. Any deeper layers weren't very subtle at all. We've just become accustomed to getting that from the satire genre. This movie actually reminds me of Idiocracy which also lacks any subtlety.

the black doctor should’ve had more of a part in the story, Jonah Hill’s character was useless and unnecessary, so was the whole focus on Dr. Mindy’s relationship with the reporter
Wasn’t terrible though, the tv speech and them sticking to the doomsday ending was a decent payoff
6/10 is fair in my opinion :ehh:
I agree on some of this. Disagree on the rest. Overall, it's a fair opinion. I still don't agree on the "It has to be subtle" part, but it's cool.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Movie lacks entertainment.
Tried to get through it but none of the satire made me even smirk. Couldn't make it halfway through.
Shoulda had some comedians in this cause these actors just come across as corny but it could be the writing .
Either way it sucks

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Hit dogs holler :yeshrug:

same folks gon be at the end of the world talking bout "why nobody warned us:dwillhuh:"

:martin:

don't know about others, but for me subtlety can often provide more creativity in getting a message across. I look at it similarly to framing...a director could have a million cuts in a scene to show 1 conversation or can have the actors standing in particular spots and talk, and play around with how the camera frames the discussion. You can see more ulterior motives, who is getting the upperhand, etc...Being subtle offers more avenues to take

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
i can't believe this movie is being trashed by so many critics, Rotten Tomatoes critics, and other people. I seen one review from this dude saying something like "if i wanted to be preached at...blah blah blah". Like for some reason this shyt really cutting deep to certain people. It's like i saw a completely different movie than them. :dahell:
Movie talking to them stupid critics :russ: they’d be in the crowd dancing to that shytty pop star song